USMNT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although we are not scoring, we do seem to "look better" under Klinsmann.

Reaction Score
I got a chance to watch the game, and I actually don't think the US looks better at all. In fact, they look the same as they've looked since the World cup. I might say they look better in the midfield, but that is only because Torres (along with Freddie Adu and often times Donovan) can possess the ball, make quick decisions, and generally keep defenses guessing.

I like what I see in Chandler (and yes, his crosses were quite bad), but overall the defense looks a little slow

no comment on Rogers . . .

I'm continually frustrated by Altidore- I know he's big and strong, but he doesn't have great touch, is not a good passer, and loses the ball almost every time he's fed when he comes back to receive it.

Brek Shea is a live body and looks dangerous, so I like what he brings to the team.

Not sure what to do going forward and who will fit where. I'm keenly looking forward to Holden coming back, but would love to see Davies and Adu get some pt.

I also think it's important to bring some young guys in on defense, since Bocanegra and Cherundolo will both be 35 in Brazil. I guess it's not unheard of to have players that age, but they're only going to get slower.

Reaction Score
Am I missing all the posts from those who desperately wanted Bradley out and Klinsman in apologizing to the rest of us for causing the MNT to take eight steps backwards. This genuis needed two full games to determine Castillo couldn't play on this level? He's still determining it for Rodgers? He still thinks we are going to have a better chance of European teams trying to play more of their game and less of what brought us success? And he really thinks we have four midfielders who have been playing better than Michael Bradley?

I wish I was like many of you, and I could be so wrong without seeing the need to step back into the forum and question my earlier position.

Crickets.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I got a chance to watch the game, and I actually don't think the US looks better at all. In fact, they look the same as they've looked since the World cup. I might say they look better in the midfield, but that is only because Torres (along with Freddie Adu and often times Donovan) can possess the ball, make quick decisions, and generally keep defenses guessing.

And that's what looks good to me. I don't ever remember being able to possess the ball (especially against a decent European side). We used to just use out athleticism to counter. Now we are actually playing. Of course we have to actually do something with the possession, but hopefully that will come.

Not sure what to do going forward and who will fit where. I'm keenly looking forward to Holden coming back, but would love to see Davies and Adu get some pt.

Yes, Holden and Adu I would like to see in this system. Don't know if Davies is ever gonna make it all the way back, unfortunately.

I also think it's important to bring some young guys in on defense, since Bocanegra and Cherundolo will both be 35 in Brazil. I guess it's not unheard of to have players that age, but they're only going to get slower.

Only problem is who? Klinsmann has used Chandler at RB and I can see him as Dolo's replacement, if he doesn't have to switch over to LB out of necessity. Ream really hasn't impressed. Maybe Gonzalez or give Johns a shot?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Am I missing all the posts from those who desperately wanted Bradley out and Klinsman in apologizing to the rest of us for causing the MNT to take eight steps backwards. .

Nope and no reason to. Best thing that's happened to USMNT in the past year or so (minus Donovan's goal - for the publicity).

Reaction Score
Only problem is who? Klinsmann has used Chandler at RB and I can see him as Dolo's replacement, if he doesn't have to switch over to LB out of necessity. Ream really hasn't impressed. Maybe Gonzalez or give Johns a shot?[/quote]

Maybe Agbossoumonde, and yes, Gonzalez. Or what about having Edu play in the back, as either the center back or left back.

Reaction Score
Agbossoumonde? HA! Lets see him actually play somewhere first. He is a long way from being part of the NT conversation. We have not even had a game with the new coach and our two best forward players yet, this is far from a debacle. Knowing who is not a part of the team is as useful as finding out who is. The most important factors in the quality of this team over the next year is Holden returning to full health, seeing what Bradley ends up doing in Italy, having Jozy continue to get time and put balls in the back plus id who could play best off of him, and identifying a couple people who should be playing on the back line.

If JK is adamant about using a defensive #6, can Bradley play that? Can he be trusted to do what he wants from that position? for the front six, 4 of them are Dempsey, Donovan, Holden, and Altidore. There are 2 spots, and if Bradley wants one, that is the easiest one because Jones is too old and angry and Edu just is not good enough. JK seems to like rat nest head in that spot but I have a hard time believing that he will be there long. Shea is looking good but he is still young and does not seem to know what to do in the 18, but his aggressiveness has been quite impressive.

This is a long process, and the November friendlies will be the first time I will actually care about results from this team (just hope we play descent teams, not world class teams like germany)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Pro sports board.....not trying to be a dikc but only way were gona build up this husky sports board is to follow thru with uconn stuff and not usa soccer and yanks games.

Reaction Score
The problem is this thread was created before this board changed its name, so it will stick around and I doubt it will harm peoples ability to discuss uconn stuff. for every game there was always a thread on the main hoops or football board and it didnt harm those.

ok, i'll make it uconn related, Stuart Holden's brother played soccer at UConn, so there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Only problem is who? Klinsmann has used Chandler at RB and I can see him as Dolo's replacement, if he doesn't have to switch over to LB out of necessity. Ream really hasn't impressed. Maybe Gonzalez or give Johns a shot?

Maybe Agbossoumonde, and yes, Gonzalez. Or what about having Edu play in the back, as either the center back or left back.[/quote]

Yea, I'm going with Johns before Agboss. I don't see Edu playing a LB/RB, maybe CB, but hopefully we wouldn't need to.

Reaction Score
Pro sports board.....not trying to be a dikc but only way were gona build up this husky sports board is to follow thru with uconn stuff and not usa soccer and yanks games.

What in the world does your sexual orientation have to do with this thread? And why is it our business?

Reaction Score
2 USMNT matches coming up next week. The first is on Fox Soccer and the second is where ESPN decides to put it at the last second, but for now it is on the deuce.

Oct. 8, 2011 vs. Honduras
6 p.m. ET

Oct. 11, 2011 vs. Ecuador 7 p.m. ET

expect more experimentation in these games before a first team really getting down to business during the tba friendlies in November.

Reaction Score
Donatello has an amazing crossing ability from the left back position

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
the second is where ESPN decides to put it at the last second, but for now it is on the deuce.

quote]

Isn't that the truth, makes it almost impossible to DVR. :(

Reaction Score
Horrible news for the national team. Stu Holden is out for another 6 months after playing in only 1 carling cup match since his return from injury. Having another knee surgery, and who knows how he will be when he gets healthy again. I think Bolton must be using the same doctors as the NY Mets

Reaction Score
That really blows. The report yesterday said 6 weeks . . . .

Reaction Score
Here is the roster for the friendlies this coming week

GOALKEEPERS (3): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (Birmingham City)
MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jeff Larentowicz (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim)
FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)

Most interesting for me is to see what Beasley is able to bring. He has had a bit of a rejuvenation down in Mexico, so it will be interesting if he could be the one who can play well off of Jozy (who looks inept scoring for us, but is putting them in the back of the net left and right for his club).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure why we need 3 DM's - Beckerman, Larentowicz and Edu. And no LB (although could be argued we've been like that no matter who is on the roster.

Reaction Score
On the DM front, Jones got back onto the field today as Schalke brought in a new manager and he is therefore no longer in the dog house. For the stay in the back and distribute type that we seem to be playing, he is far and away the most talented player we have in that role. If he continues playing with the club, he will likely be back out there for us in November.

As for left back, I assume that Chandler will be put back there, which is fine, but it just doesnt seem that it is the best use of his talents.

Reaction Score
Are any of you surprised that he hasn't given Adu a chance yet? I thought Adu looked good in his last start with the MNT.

Reaction Score
Adu was great the last two games of the Gold Cup, but honestly, he is not a starter for us so I can not get upset about his inclusion. Anyone of the people he would replace are arguably better than him

Donovan is missing the two games, which is disappointing because we have not had both he and Dempsey in the lineup together in any of the post gold cup matches.

Reaction Score
With so many injuries and not much production in recent years, I'd rather see younger players gain experience than the ever brittle, 29 year old Beasley. With an injury (strained right quadriceps) keeping fellow 29 year old, Donovan, out of MLS games, it's totally understandable why he will not play.

For 2014 WC qualifying, it's good for younger guys to gain some opportunities and to prove their worth. Unfortunately, Adu did not earn or otherwise found himself out of club playing time and he may be an exception. Just getting some club experience and stability may be the best thing for him. When Adu proves himself in MLS, the 21 year old will earn opportunities to prove his worth to Jeurgen Klinsmann and the national team. The latter is not a suggestion his brief Gold Cup appearances were not enticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom