USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T | Page 13 | The Boneyard

USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Klinsmann, Sept.6 2016 against Trinidad (4-0 win)
Roster: -Tim Howard; 20-Geoff Cameron, 21-Steve Birnbaum, 3-Omar Gonzalez, 23-Fabian Johnson; 11-Alejandro Bedoya (14-Paul Arriola, 66), 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 16-Sacha Kljestan (13-Caleb Stanko, 72), 10-Christian Pulisic; 7-Bobby Wood (8-Jordan Morris, 60), 17-Jozy Altidore

Klinsmann, Nov.17 2015 against Trinidad (0-0 draw)
Roster: 12-Tim Howard, 16-Michael Orozco, 20-Geoff Cameron, 5-Matt Besler, 3-Tim Ream (6-Darlington Nagbe, 68), 2-DeAndre Yedlin, 13-Jermaine Jones, 4-Michael Bradley (capt.), 23-Fabian Johnson, 9-Gyasi Zardes (18-Bobby Wood, 76), 17-Jozy Altidore

Klinsmann, Oct.14 2014 against Honduras (1-1 draw)
Roster: 22-Nick Rimando; 21-Timmy Chandler, 13-Jermaine Jones, 5-Matt Besler (16-Tim Ream, 64), 14-Greg Garza; 19-Graham Zusi (2-DeAndre Yedlin, 64), 10-Mix Diskerud (9-Miguel Ibarra, 90), 4-Michael Bradley (6-Alfredo Morales, 75), 11-Alejandro Bedoya (15-Joe Corona, 78); 8-Clint Dempsey (capt.) (23-Bobby Wood, 64), 17-Jozy Altidore

When you chat about Klinsmann and how he changed everything for the better and shook up the system and said the emperor had no clothes, I want you to remember where all these names came from that you are criticizing. For years....FOR YEARS he played the same players you are bitching about today. Gonzalez, Ream, Besler, Zusi, Bradley, Bedoya, Altidore, etc. Literally for years.

He owns the fact that we have not properly evaluated better players than the ones that saw the field today. Arena owns the fact that he couldn't take the players he had today and tie friggin' Trinidad...
Yep, it's on both of them. And of course their boss. Need to cut off the head.

Reaction Score
Klinsmann had already lost the team/plot. It would probably have been worse if he'd have stayed. He HAD to go. Unfortunately he was replaced with Arena. Granted we didn't have a lot of choices. We rolled the dice with someone who had got us there twice before. He failed this time.

If Jurgen lost the plot then Arena never had it. Jurgen was scapegoated for poor player performance. Now that we have seen identical performances from two different managers that's the most plausible explanation.

Players in International Soccer are a product by and large of their club environments. The Natl. Team Manager spends very little time with his players comparatively. Which league supplies most of our players again? Time to toss out the rotten apples.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Arena put everyone back in their comfort zone instead of stretching them out.

Based on what we saw with Arena this whole theory that Jurgen “losing the team” has to be called into question. Because the team was pretty non responsive to Bruce as well.

Maybe the players really are a bunch spoiled babies?
That is certainly possible. Kinda feels that way.

Reaction Score
Wes McKennie, welcome to the midfield.
EPB, CCV, welcome to the back line
Sargent, get your work in n U17 and get ready for some call ups to the senior side.
Jordan Morris... get healthy, and get overseas to play club
Brooks... get healthy for godness sake... drink more water, stretch, eat more veggies and fruit.. do whatever you need to do to stay on the pitch.
Kellyn Acosta, time to get regular minutes, don't blow it.
All the young goalies.... get loose.
Pulisic... you need to start impregnating some of the USWNT to spawn some freak soccer team for WC 2040.

Reaction Score
That is certainly possible. Kinda feels that way.

I may not like Bruce as a NT Manager anymore. But I sat next to the LA bench last season in Kansas City last year and heard how he talks to the players. I can see why some people revere the guy.

I'm also pretty certain he didn't tell the US to go out and play uninspired. Therefore the problem must have more to do with the players.

So at this point, why wouldn't we bust out the checkbook again and go after a coach that has a stellar rep for working with young players.

We'll never get Peter Bosz, but Tata Martinez could probably be lured away from Atlanta. Thomas Tuchel is even available.... That's the kind of manager we need, someone tailored to the current and future state of the squad; youth heavy and in need of guidance and direction.

In the end we'll probably get either Peter Vermes, Caleb Porter or Tab Ramos. And history will repeat itself.

Reaction Score
I may not like Bruce as a NT Manager anymore. But I sat next to the LA bench last season in Kansas City last year and heard how he talks to the players. I can see why some people revere the guy.

I'm also pretty certain he didn't tell the US to go out and play uninspired. Therefore the problem must have more to do with the players.

So at this point, why wouldn't we bust out the checkbook again and go after a coach that has a stellar rep for working with young players.

We'll never get Peter Bosz, but Tata Martinez could probably be lured away from Atlanta. Thomas Tuchel is even available.... That's the kind of manager we need, someone tailored to the current and future state of the squad; youth heavy and in need of guidance and direction.

In the end we'll probably get either Peter Vermes, Caleb Porter or Tab Ramos. And history will repeat itself.
Give me David Wagner or Tuchel, at least from the current group somewhat available. We need a coach who embraces and promotes creativity on the ball and quick passing. I have a feeling it will be Ramos though, really hope not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Klinsmann deserves some of the blame, he lost the team and was rightfully fired at that point. I never wanted Arena, we needed a tactical coach who can teach the team how to play as a unit. Arena does deserve most of the blame though, if you can't beat Honduras and T&T, something is really wrong.

Speaking of tactics, why did I think I was in Storrs on a chilly November day in the mid 80's, watching UConn play an inferior team, with nothing but repeated long balls into the box (or wide of it), then losing 2-1 after having 75% of the possession. It was like the ghost of Joe Morrone coached that first half.

Reaction Score
I just want to make a quick statement about Tuchel, as he was the trainer for my team in Mainz for several years... He is a really good trainer but a bit of a whackadoo.. I don't know exactly what it is about him because things are kept a bit hush hush here but he decided to take a year sabbatical after leading Mainz to the Europa League. No explanation, he just chose not to manage any more. It was really weird and to this day no one really knows why.

And the way he left Dortmund was also kind of weird. Two seasons top 3 Bundesliga, 2 DFB Pokal final appearances (1 win) and quarterfinals in UEFA and Chanpions Leage and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Great trainer, just something a bit off. But he is German so that could mean something...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
""There's nothing wrong with what we're doing," he said. "Certainly as our league grows, it advances the national team program. We have some good young players come up."
That's the big lie(s) right there. The league isn't growing in quality, it's stagnant. And it doesn't advance the national team program, it just killed it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seriously what is really going to change. JK may not have been great but flat out showed that the US System was flawed in how they were growing players. He challenged MLS and was shut down. Not saying he was not at fault for some of this disaster but to say I have hope that the US fixes this after tonight, is hard to say.

I just can’t see how they fix this. The MLS is terrible yet runs the show in this country. Not sure how they get this right but I’m not holding out hope.
Couldn't agree more. JK proved to be a bit too extreme and lost the team because of it but overall, I applaud his efforts. The next hire needs a similar mentality. Personally, I would like to see a big name from abroad over Tab Ramos or someone else state bound. We need a new direction, a new vision, a new voice.

Reaction Score
Now I know this is beyond grasping at straws, but the point needs to be raised.

Can the U.S. appeal controversial Panama goal that left them out of World Cup?

We HAVE to protest that decision. It's a sham that goal line technology is not worldwide for these major games with international implications. I have no clue what would happen if we did raise a stink and appeal that goal. Probably nothing. But you have to try.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I thought it was telling that in limited time, Dempsey had our two best chances, and Jozy blew a header he should have buried. Even Benny generated some offense.

Exactly. People focus on the goals. Great you get the most chances you should be scoring goals. How many chances you create is just as important as if the quality of your finishes. Dempsey and a half a dozen other guys bury that free header. It's missing a two foot putt and right their with Wondo's shank in Brazil.

I think Dempsey played poorly for him and he still created more chances in
45 minutes than Altidore did.

The move was to start Dempsey or sub him for Altidore at 45-55 minutes. He and Wood over Pulisic would have scored the goal we needed. I'm nearly certain of that on pitch geography alone.

But Bruce played politics, coddled his name players and didn't do what needed to be done. So when Pulisic ran out of gas at 75 minutes, he backed himself into a corner and couldn't make that change either. Partly because he no other options on the bench and partly because he was desperately hoping the kid would bail him out.

Dempsey for Altidore. Straight swap
Acosta for Nagbe. 4-2-3-1
Bedoya for Pulisic. 4-4-2

If he benched Omar, then he never would have been down 2 to begin with.

Though Howard has to answer for that soft goal from distance. Yes it was knuckling wildly, but he had time to get across without lunging. He was late.

It was an all around turd show.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't see why Altidore warrants further investment. Wood definitely.

Wood and Dempsey are the far better combination. Copa America showed us that. We should have never deviated from that.

Until this last round, Wood and Dempsey scored most of the goals despite both being behind Jozy.

Reaction Score
Exactly. People focus on the goals. Great you get the most chances you should be scoring goals. How many chances you create is just as important as if the quality of your finishes. Dempsey and a half a dozen other guys bury that free header. It's missing a two foot putt and right their with Wondo's shank in Brazil.

I think Dempsey played poorly for him and he still created more chances in
45 minutes than Altidore did.

The move was to start Dempsey or sub him for Altidore at 45-55 minutes. He and Wood over Pulisic would have scored the goal we needed. I'm nearly certain of that on pitch geography alone.

But Bruce played politics, coddled his name players and didn't do what needed to be done. So when Pulisic ran out of gas at 75 minutes, he backed himself into a corner and couldn't make that change either. Partly because he no other options on the bench and partly because he was desperately hoping the kid would bail him out.

Dempsey for Altidore. Straight swap
Acosta for Nagbe. 4-2-3-1
Bedoya for Pulisic. 4-4-2

If he benched Omar, then he never would have been down 2 to begin with.

Though Howard has to answer for that soft goal from distance. Yes it was knuckling wildly, but he had time to get across without lunging. He was late.

It was an all around turd show.

Tim Melia is the best US Keeper playing at the moment. He makes both saves every day of the week.

Cameron and Besler should have been the CB pairing. Cameron could have started in midfield too. Either way, he should have been on the field.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We actually didn't play a 4-3-3. We stayed with the 4-4-2 diamond we played on Friday. When Dempsey came in, Pulisic moved out to the right and Dempsey came into the top of the diamond.

No, we absolutely did not start in the 4-4-2 diamond. You got a nice dose of "Jozy the midfielder", unless you were watching a different game.

Yes, when Dempsey came in, they went to that. And you saw what the second half looked like versus the first half. And who's fault is that? Like you've already said; Bruce should be gone this morning for coaching malpractice...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, we absolutely did not start in the 4-4-2 diamond. You got a nice dose of "Jozy the midfielder", unless you were watching a different game.

Yes we actually did. Yes Altidore was coming back to find the ball....because he and Wood were not getting any service. Players actually move around on the pitch.

Yes before the game they listed it as a 4-3-3, but even then I knew they were wrong. Pulisic was tucked in behind Atlidore and Wood. Nagbe and Arriola were manning the wings. Bradley was the defensive pivot. That's a 4-4-2 diamond. Same thing we played against Panama.

Yes, when Dempsey came in, they went to that. And you saw what the second half looked like versus the first half. And who's fault is that? Like you've already said; Bruce should be gone this morning for coaching malpractice...
Arena should be gone because he failed in his one job. There is nothing NOW for him to do. Actually he should step down himself.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Bruce is interested in continuing as coach. It was a 50/50 proposition if they did qualify. Bruce came in knowing he was a stopgap.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yes we actually did. Yes Altidore was coming back to find the ball....because he and Wood were not getting any service. Players actually move around on the pitch.

Yes before the game they listed it as a 4-3-3, but even then I knew they were wrong. Pulisic was tucked in behind Atlidore and Wood. Nagbe and Arriola were manning the wings. Bradley was the defensive pivot. That's a 4-4-2 diamond. Same thing we played against Panama.

Arena should be gone because he failed in his one job. There is nothing NOW for him to do. Actually he should step down himself.

We can go back and forth about it, but it's painfully clear that Jozy was playing in a midfielder-type role instead of an advanced role. It's painfully clear that Bradley's tendency to play the defensive role which he was comfortable playing was leaving a large gap between the forwards and midfield because we didn't have a "trequartista" out there like a Dempsey or Feilhaber. It's painfully clear that the formation put more pressure on Nagbe to play defense, which it's clear that he doesn't really do, as evidenced by Tim Howard having to do a little "left-side defending" while Villafana was out of position due to covering Nagbe's responsibility.

And again....all of that is on Bruce...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom