USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T | Page 15 | The Boneyard

USMNT Roster for Panama, T&T

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Can go back and forth all you want, but we were in a 4-4-2 diamond. It was painfully clear.

I've explained what we were doing, you can believe it or not. Doesn't change what it was though.

This is a screen shot from the first half of the game. It is clearly, painfully, unavoidably a 4-3-3. The person you cannot see on the screen is Altidore who was playing left wing for some damned reason in this stupid 4-3-3. The second half was the change. I'm not going to argue this with you anymore. Here's the picture and do whatever you want with it (also go check out the video of the second goal and you'll understand):

upload_2017-10-12_11-19-30.png

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This is a screen shot from the first half of the game. It is clearly, painfully, unavoidably a 4-3-3. The person you cannot see on the screen is Altidore who was playing left wing for some damned reason in this stupid 4-3-3. The second half was the change. I'm not going to argue this with you anymore. Here's the picture and do whatever you want with it (also go check out the video of the second goal and you'll understand):

View attachment 25403
I'm not arguing. I'm just telling you what is. You can believe it or not. Looks like you choose not to. That's fine with me. Doesn't change anything.

(I don't need screen shots. I watched the game. 4-4-2 diamond, simple as that. Besides your screenshot shows Pulisic tucked underneath the 2 strikers at the top of the diamond with Arriola on the right, Nagbe on the left and Bradley at the base of the diamond. Nice try though.)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That’s pretty cool that they teach that trick to you guys in the old Nursing Home.
Tuesday is meme day, Wednesday is gif day. :cool:

(and how do you know it's an old Nursing Home? Could be a recently built one??)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You guys know more about this than I but I think I was right about at least two things:

1. Omar G sucks and should never be on the field
2. Howard covered a lot of issues for a long time and the days where goaltending was a positive were long over.

When you can't draw T&T - I find that hard to be a tactical failure and not a complete failure of players and leadership.

Reaction Score
Jermaine Jones speaks out on US soccer. It's worth the listen/watch. He's essentially saying younger US players should challenge themselves in Europe (go the harder route), and the US needs to hire a tough, honest coach who is gonna make guys earn/fight for their spot every time they come to camp. He gets in to why the rest of CONCACAF teams are no longer intimidated playing the US.

LINK

A couple of the 'highlights' :
“(Pulisic) decided with his family to go the hardest way, and he made it so I respect that but I want to see more kids hungry like that.... If you want to make the next step, what every fan is hoping, you have to be a coach to be straight. It hurts some times. It hurts MLS … but sometimes you have to talk the truth, and you need more players in the tough leagues.

“When Bob Bradley was the coach, how many players played in MLS? Most of the players came from Europe. You learn to get personality. You learn to get strong as a person.”

“It’s the fault of the whole system that players are not ready yet. If you take 25 year old player in MLS and compare them to a 19 year old player in Europe, the Europe player is farther in his brain and that’s not a good sign.”

“Jurgen (Klinsmann) called me to please call Jordan Morris. I talked with him and I asked him, ‘I know that Werder Bremen really wants you and you can play there. You can go farther.’ And he said, ‘You know what? I wanna go home. My dad is a doctor in Seattle and my mom bought me and my girlfriend a dog and all that stuff.’

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
“Jurgen (Klinsmann) called me to please call Jordan Morris. I talked with him and I asked him, ‘I know that Werder Bremen really wants you and you can play there. You can go farther.’ And he said, ‘You know what? I wanna go home. My dad is a doctor in Seattle and my mom bought me and my girlfriend a dog and all that stuff.’
Wow, if that's true. Wow. :eek:

At least he got out of college, but a dog is going to determine his career???

Reaction Score
That Jordan Morris thing shows how MLS and Arena enabled all the worst aspects of the American player.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wow, if that's true. Wow. :eek:

At least he got out of college, but a dog is going to determine his career???

:rolleyes:

Nothing like hyperbole to get a post rolling.

That's Jermaine's summary from his conversation with Morris. What you can take from that is the fact that Morris wanted to stay home to be with his family. The dog was thrown in there for effect from Jermaine, I'm sure, even if the dog came up in the conversation.

Many of us make career decisions to be with family. And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Does that mean that Jordan Morris's career and development might suffer due to the choice? Maybe. Does it mean that he cannot develop further or turn himself into an important piece for the national team? No.

It's not about the dog, dude...

Reaction Score

That's Jermaine's summary from his conversation with Morris. What you can take from that is the fact that Morris wanted to stay home to be with his family. The dog was thrown in there for effect from Jermaine, I'm sure, even if the dog came up in the conversation.

Many of us make career decisions to be with family. And in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. Does that mean that Jordan Morris's career and development might suffer due to the choice? Maybe. Does it mean that he cannot develop further or turn himself into an important piece for the national team? No.

Then it’s obvious that he isn’t committed to World Class excellence. I don’t care about his career either if that is the case.

He’s been mediocre with Seattle anyways. Probably the right move for him. Lacks drive.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Then it’s obvious that he isn’t committed to World Class excellence. I don’t care about his career either if that is the case.

He’s been mediocre with Seattle anyways. Probably the right move for him. Lacks drive.

Why don't you be honest and say that you don't care about ANY of their careers, so long as they help the national team? That's the truth, and that's how we all feel. I don't give a damn if he chooses to play for the friggin' Rochester Rhinos, so long as he produces if he is ever called up.

The rest is just people on the internet yapping about the lives of others. It doesn't affect my life until he puts that USA jersey on...

Reaction Score
Why don't you be honest and say that you don't care about ANY of their careers, so long as they help the national team? That's the truth, and that's how we all feel. I don't give a damn if he chooses to play for the friggin' Rochester Rhinos, so long as he produces if he is ever called up.

The rest is just people on the internet yapping about the lives of others. It doesn't affect my life until he puts that USA jersey on...

I want steely eyed killers who care about:

1. Soccer
2. Winning at soccer
3. Being awesome at soccer

Work life balance is for 30 and 40 somethings with families and a Linked In profile.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I want steely eyed killers who care about:

1. Soccer
2. Winning at soccer
3. Being awesome at soccer

Work life balance is for 30 and 40 somethings with families and a Linked In profile.

That's nice that you think what you want counts for anything at all... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's nice that you think what you want counts for anything at all... :rolleyes:

Tell me that I’m not right.

Maybe we should keep relying on players that want to be less professional, it’s working really well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Well I said if true....then.

Sure, everyone can make whatever choice they want. And I realize his dad is the team doctor and he has diabetes, so it's much safer/easier to remain home. But, it'd be nice if we could try to maximize some of the talent.

Reaction Score

I don't "care" per se, but I think the larger point is that the best of the best in any profession are rarely the type that choose to stay close to home because of family. He is willingly sacrificing his development, which is fine and his decision, but it also hurts the USMNT because it decreases the chances that he will become a top contributor.

Reaction Score
I think this sentiment is vastly overused and incorrect. Yes we can react to this with change, more emphasis on youth development, etc. but missing the World Cup is damaging both financially and developmentally. For Pulisic, Yedlin, Acosta, Brooks, Wood and other young players that had a shot to make the roster, this is a big setback, We need these players to gain experience in the most important competition, and it's a shame that they are missing out on it.

Reaction Score
I think this sentiment is vastly overused and incorrect. Yes we can react to this with change, more emphasis on youth development, etc. but missing the World Cup is damaging both financially and developmentally. For Pulisic, Yedlin, Acosta, Brooks, Wood and other young players that had a shot to make the roster, this is a big setback, We need these players to gain experience in the most important competition, and it's a shame that they are missing out on it.

I agree. . But you should read the whole article.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't "care" per se, but I think the larger point is that the best of the best in any profession are rarely the type that choose to stay close to home because of family. He is willingly sacrificing his development, which is fine and his decision, but it also hurts the USMNT because it decreases the chances that he will become a top contributor.

It only hurts the national team if we cannot find someone better than him in a population of 323 million. If the United States requires Jordan Morris to maximize to 100% because we cannot find a better striker, well then my friend, we have bigger problems than Jordan Morris being with his family and his dog...

Reaction Score
It only hurts the national team if we cannot find someone better than him in a population of 323 million. If the United States requires Jordan Morris to maximize to 100% because we cannot find a better striker, well then my friend, we have bigger problems than Jordan Morris being with his family and his dog...

Can't argue that. The point is that Morris should know that there are 10 hungry, talented players out there willing and able to take his place. There are not, and that is an indictment of our development system.

Reaction Score
Can't argue that. The point is that Morris should know that there are 10 hungry, talented players out there willing and able to take his place. There are not, and that is an indictment of our development system.

There aren't? You're telling me Morris has been starting for the national team?

Reaction Score

View attachment 25403

I lost track of what you guys were arguing about.

Seems like formations are pretty dynamic. You have a defensive shape, a transitional shape and an attacking shape. I think that with the personnel we had out there, it would have looked like that with any formation. What I thought I saw was Jozy realizing that there was too much space back there so he was like “he guys, I guess I’ll run back here and try to connect with Michael.”

In our case we basically had a midfield of one. Michael Bradley struggling to connect with everyone else in front of him. It was a joke because with only one true center mid out there why would anyone be surprised that we couldn’t keep possession or do anything when we had it?

T&T saw the space we gave Panama and they game planned it. Their coaches and players bragged about it before and after the game. Nagbe did his usual get the ball and dribble into traffic thing. He’s a a winger anyways. The whole thing was a shambles.

We probably could have done better by starting Bradley, Feilhaber, Pulisic and Dax in a narrower diamond and let the fullbacks (I would have gone Yedlin and Arriola) provide the attacking width with overlapping runs.

I don’t ever want to see Nagbe play again. You see tons of African players like him, dribbles really nicely but rarely connects with anything.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom