USMNT Falling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT Falling

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Actually, while still not up to world class levels, our technical skills have developed leaps and bounds. And we've always been athletically on par with the world (that was basically our calling card for years). But what still holds us way back (and will hold the women back eventually also) is our naivety tactically. That's where we are way off the pace. And running through Coaches who've only known MLS or college isn't going to fix the problem.
Its not entirely on the recent coaches of the Mens National team for the gap of tactical proficiency of the players. That rests with the caliber of coaching that American players receive from U-8 through the U-18 ranks. These coaches are technically inclined because these players in the USA aren't born with a soccer ball in their crib and don't have fathers/parents who know the game of soccer. The level of technical skills are something that coaches in the USA inherit are way behind what that same coach in Europe or South America would enjoy.
But you are correct - the Americans are tactically behind most of the soccer powers because that training and education has not been the emphasis as they progressed when younger

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tonight's game against possibly a better Uruguay (although no Cavani or Suarez), the USA is without Pulisic, McKennie, and Steffen. Luckily Trapp and Zardes are still with the team. :rolleyes: This could be pretty brutal.

Maybe, maybe, we'll get to see Sargent and Pomykal play.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe, we'll get to see Sargent and Pomykal play.

would've liked to see more than 7min for Pomykal - Josh looked OK - I was impressed with Yueill in the 6, he looked much better than Trapp ever has there (not saying much) - Mexico got smacked by Argentina.. you just hate to see it.

on to the nations league..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
would've liked to see more than 7min for Pomykal - Josh looked OK - I was impressed with Yueill in the 6, he looked much better than Trapp ever has there (not saying much) - Mexico got smacked by Argentina.. you just hate to see it.

on to the nations league..
Very different game yesterday than Friday. Uruguay played it like a Friendly. Didn't seem real interested. As opposed to the pressing Mexico. Although we looked better last night, hard to compare the two games. Our back line/GK were not pressed like Mexico did to us. But agree Yueill looked a lot better than Trapp did. Not sure if it's because of the difference in Mexico and Uruguay or the difference in Trapp and Yueill. Probably a little of both.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The U.S. will continue to struggle in soccer as long as our best athletes choose to play basketball, football, and baseball ahead of soccer. It’s really that simple.

Don't disagree with the soccerheads - as you've seen, they can't possibly ever be wrong.

It's really not that hard, guys - even with the "identification" and "Messi" examples, it's the same answer - the more who play (and continue to play) soccer, the better the US product becomes. Lots play, fewer stay, and they move on to other sports. Maybe putting "athletes" confuses some, but it's really just a numbers game.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with the soccerheads - as you've seen, they can't possibly ever be wrong.

It's really not that hard, guys - even with the "identification" and "Messi" examples, it's the same answer - the more who play (and continue to play) soccer, the better the US product becomes. Lots play, fewer stay, and they move on to other sports. Maybe putting "athletes" confuses some, but it's really just a numbers game.

There are many countries around the world that have teeny populations and they do quite well.

It's because they take soccer a lot more seriously and they have people who can teach the sport properly.

So not a numbers game. Not with our population. It's more of a knowledge problem.

Anyone who has been around the youth game for any time knows that.

Reaction Score

It’s truly amazing how many different ways people can arrive to the exact same wrong conclusion.

Reaction Score
Why bring Jesse Gonzalez if you're not gonna use him? Nick Rimando was available after all. Or only play Pomykal for a couple min?

Anyone think Dest sticks around?

Reaction Score
Why bring Jesse Gonzalez if you're not gonna use him? Nick Rimando was available after all. Or only play Pomykal for a couple min?

I do.

Reaction Score
Dest was undressed in both games. In the Mexico game it led to a score.

Hard to judge the team. Disappointing is the best word for the two game set. For a long time it looked like a three game scoreless streak.

I'll probably get killed for saying this. But I think that Bradley would have settled the team down versus Mexico. Once we went down, there was no steady hand, we needed that badly and no on the field was able to supply it.

Reaction Score
was hard to ignore how disgusted he looked when subbed off vs Uruguay - even Stu called him out for poor body language - hopefully he's starting vs Cuba and cap tied, we can't let him get away regardless of his recent performances.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
was hard to ignore how disgusted he looked when subbed off vs Uruguay - even Stu called him out for poor body language - hopefully he's starting vs Cuba and cap tied, we can't let him get away regardless of his recent performances.
True, but not sure why he was disgusted. Because he was being subbed off, because he realized this team/coach sucks, or because he didn't have a real good game, i.e. didn't show very well in his debut for the USA?????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Take a look at him, see where he is. Get him used to how the NT works.

Don't think using him against Mexico or Uruguay would have been a good idea.

Reaction Score
Mexico was drubbed by Argentina the other day 4-0. During the post-game interview, Tata said the following:

"I don't think [the defeat] is our reality and I also don't think that going 11 games without losing was our reality," the ex-Argentina and Barcelona manager said after the game. "It's the second 'A level' game we've had. The first was against Chile [in March]. And the substantial difference against Argentina and Chile is that tonight we committed the kinds of errors in which we knew Argentina could damage us."

So Mexico has now had 2 "A" level friendlies in the last few months - Chile in March and Argentina in September. Tucked in between they also played Paraguay, Venezuela, Cuba, Martinique, Costa Rica, Haiti, and the US (twice, Gold Cup & friendly). All were wins except for Argentina. So, based on what he has seen in two wins over the US and likley a bit of a elbow at USSF, the US is a B team. Ouch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mexico was drubbed by Argentina the other day 4-0. During the post-game interview, Tata said the following:

"I don't think [the defeat] is our reality and I also don't think that going 11 games without losing was our reality," the ex-Argentina and Barcelona manager said after the game. "It's the second 'A level' game we've had. The first was against Chile [in March]. And the substantial difference against Argentina and Chile is that tonight we committed the kinds of errors in which we knew Argentina could damage us."

So Mexico has now had 2 "A" level friendlies in the last few months - Chile in March and Argentina in September. Tucked in between they also played Paraguay, Venezuela, Cuba, Martinique, Costa Rica, Haiti, and the US (twice, Gold Cup & friendly). All were wins except for Argentina. So, based on what he has seen in two wins over the US and likley a bit of a elbow at USSF, the US is a B team. Ouch.
1z-bXWln_400x400.jpg

Reaction Score
This was not a "take", it's my opinion. I didn't realize I needed your approval. If the best athletes in the U.S. decided to play soccer we would have one of the best teams in the world. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, our best athletes play basketball, football, baseball, and hockey.
The thought that with a population of over 300 million, we have a large enough talent pool to compete with the rest of the world in basketball, football, baseball, AND hockey....but NOT soccer... is really moronic. It's specious, oversimplified, and just dumb. If Lebron James was a professional soccer player, he'd look entirely different. Or he'd have to be a goalie; you can't carry that much weight and run as much as is needed in soccer. He'd be an amazing keeper, but goalkeeping has almost always been the strongest part of the team.

It's a matter of focus. Our kids don't focus on soccer from a very young age the way they do in other countries. through their academies.

I don't know why you'd even mention hockey. Canada doesn't have more/better athletes than the US. But their national team is typically better in hockey because they care more than we do. The US has only won 2 gold medals in hockey (1960 & 1980). Canada has 9 gold medals in Hockey despite having a smaller population than the state of California.

The Dominican Republic doesn't have the population or the resources America does. It's practically a third-world country with a population of 10 million. But they have more foreign born players in MLB than any other country. 1 in 8 MLB players are Dominican. Why...?

1) they are wildly passionate about baseball
2) the professional clubs have invested in identifying and training talent at a young age.

Baseball is the most popular sport in the Dominican Republic and now all 30 major league clubs have baseball academies there, Salazar said. Younger players in their teens are recruited by major league teams and hone their baseball skills at the academies in hopes of signing contracts with minor league teams affiliated with Major League Baseball,

The US needs more academies, and they need to identify kids earlier, and have them playing all year round. Until that happens, we will continue to fall behind.

Reaction Score
Would you play for this guy if you had a choice?
He was abused repeatedly. The nutmeg that led to the first goal for Mexico, and then the tap around and blow by they should have led to a goal for Uruguay.

I'm not saying he's not good enough to play for us, but our back line is atrocious and he was anything but a bright spot in defense.

I know we have little depth, and less talent, but this kid has a long way to go.

Reaction Score
Our kids don't focus on soccer from a very young age the way they do in other countries. through their academies.

From what I'm seeing is there is a big willingness among kids to do exactly this, to spend a huge amount of time on soccer.

But the coaching leaves much to be desired. When you see kids being coached right, you wonder why it took so long for them to get into a situation with someone who knew what they were doing.

I actually appreciated many of the coaches I've come across in the past who were not properly trained and at least could help with some aspects of the game (as opposed to some who had been trained as coaches by top academies in Europe but who ended up being disasters). But nonetheless, when you finally see someone who is on top of things and has a thorough understanding of the game, and can teach it, you realize that we have a huge deficit in understanding soccer. It really might take another couple of generations to get there. Many of the coaches have only been trained as players through high school, ODP, and college--and this is why they don't have a finer understanding of what they are doing.

Reaction Score
He was abused repeatedly. The nutmeg that led to the first goal for Mexico, and then the tap around and blow by they should have led to a goal for Uruguay.

I'm not saying he's not good enough to play for us, but our back line is atrocious and he was anything but a bright spot in defense.

I know we have little depth, and less talent, but this kid has a long way to go.

He’s a right back. He shouldn’t have made his debut on the left. That’s Gregggg for you.

Reaction Score

I hate our Federation.

Reaction Score
He’s a right back. He shouldn’t have made his debut on the left. That’s Gregggg for you.
that’s fair, and I’m not trying to pick on him. The back line is awful regardless of who is in there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom