USMNT Falling | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USMNT Falling

Reaction Score
From what I'm seeing is there is a big willingness among kids to do exactly this, to spend a huge amount of time on soccer.

But the coaching leaves much to be desired. When you see kids being coached right, you wonder why it took so long for them to get into a situation with someone who knew what they were doing.

I actually appreciated many of the coaches I've come across in the past who were not properly trained and at least could help with some aspects of the game (as opposed to some who had been trained as coaches by top academies in Europe but who ended up being disasters). But nonetheless, when you finally see someone who is on top of things and has a thorough understanding of the game, and can teach it, you realize that we have a huge deficit in understanding soccer. It really might take another couple of generations to get there. Many of the coaches have only been trained as players through high school, ODP, and college--and this is why they don't have a finer understanding of what they are doing.
I see some kids doing this (and I see the corresponding results). But it’s not on the level that it is elsewhere, IMO.

I totally agree about the coaching.

Reaction Score
Lots of people have theories about how to fix US Soccer. Implement Pro/Rel. Provide transfer payments. Get rid of pay-to-play. But no one has any idea how to do it.

1. How do you implement Pro/Rel in this country when there is no cultural history of supporting Soccer at the community level? Relegation would mean financial disaster. And it's moot anyways because the MLS will never accept it.

2. Transfer payments won't survive US courts. And players in the US oppose them as money taken from their pockets.

3. Pay-to-play is the only reliable source of money for soccer programs. How do you replace that money if you get rid of pay to play?

The US is too big and too uninvested in soccer for any of this to work. Until kids play soccer the way they play basketball, the US will always remain at the margin of world soccer competition. So the question becomes "Why does it matter if the USMNT can't compete?" If the MLS succeeds on its own terms, why isn't that enough?

Reaction Score
I hate our Federation.

Its not the Federation, its the people who now run the Federation. They have moved away from the vision of developing world-class soccer players and teams in the US to generating money for the Federation and it's MLS owners. The focus has been changed from using money to spur development to profits.

Reaction Score
I am optimistic about the training US soccer has put in place. I think we have had only about a decade of the DA and we are seeing some of the fruits of it. As for the coaching selection, that’s another story. But I think US soccer is on the right road with development

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of people have theories about how to fix US Soccer. Implement Pro/Rel. Provide transfer payments. Get rid of pay-to-play. But no one has any idea how to do it.

1. How do you implement Pro/Rel in this country when there is no cultural history of supporting Soccer at the community level? Relegation would mean financial disaster. And it's moot anyways because the MLS will never accept it.

2. Transfer payments won't survive US courts. And players in the US oppose them as money taken from their pockets.

3. Pay-to-play is the only reliable source of money for soccer programs. How do you replace that money if you get rid of pay to play?

The US is too big and too uninvested in soccer for any of this to work. Until kids play soccer the way they play basketball, the US will always remain at the margin of world soccer competition. So the question becomes "Why does it matter if the USMNT can't compete?" If the MLS succeeds on its own terms, why isn't that enough?

We already have transfer payments. Are you talking about solidarity payments? I don’t understand why the US has to be different in this regard. In PA Classics got a piece of the payment on the Pulisic that could go a long ways towards knocking down the barriers that pay to play creates.

Who gives a crap about MLS? It’s lucky to be the third most popular league in the USA behind EPL and Liga MX.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don’t understand why the US has to be different in this regard.
Because they have a chip on their shoulder and they know better. If one points out that the rest of the world has been at this for a lot longer and perhaps they know what they are doing, one is labelled a "euro-snob".

Reaction Score
Because they have a chip on their shoulder and they know better. If one points out that the rest of the world has been at this for a lot longer and perhaps they know what they are doing, one is labelled a "euro-snob".

The mentality of most American soccer coaches and MLS is just bad for American soccer. They are a bunch of gym teachers who should stick to teaching kids how to climb rope.

Reaction Score
Green is the highest or second highest scorer with 3 goals for Gruether Furth which is in 4th place in the 2 Bundesliga. He has a player rating of 7.3.

Reaction Score
Good boy Greg has announced the USMNT Camp Roster for the CONCACAF Nations League. Don't worry folks, we're in good hands as Zardes will be there to ensure the safety of the other team's net while Wil Trapp will befuddle everyone with his shear incompetence playing a central defensive role. Out of 26 call-ups, 18 are from MLS (70%) who represent 14 of MLS’s 24 teams (58%). When MLS expands beyond 30 teams, will there be any slots on the USMNT roster for any non-MLS players?

There were a couple of notable absences due to injuries, including: Tyler Adams, Tim Weah, and John Brooks. The biggest shock absence is Sergio Dest (Ajax) who is being wooed by both USMNT and the Dutch national team. Why USMNT is not going all-out to Cap him is beyond me. Also, as Green has been playing well as noted above, not sure why he isn't at least getting a look. Overall, not much change from the summer friendlies, which worries me as if this is the team that Greg wants for WC qualifying next year, its scary.

GOALKEEPERS
  • Brad Guzan – MLS, Atlanta
  • Sean Johnson – MLS, NYCFC
  • Zack Steffen - Bundesliga, Fortuna Dusseldorf
DEFENDERS
  • Reggie Cannon – MLS, Dallas
  • Nick Lima – MLS, San Jose
  • Aaron Long – MLS, NJ Red Bulls
  • Daniel Lovitz – MLS, Montreal
  • Matt Miazga – EFL Championship, Reading
  • Tim Ream – EFL Championship, Fulham
  • DeAndre Yedlin – Premiership, Newcastle United
  • Walker Zimmerman – MLS, LAFC
MIDFIELDERS
  • Brenden Aaronson – MLS, Philly
  • Michael Bradley – MLS, Toronto
  • Sebastian Lletget – MLS, LA Galaxy
  • Weston McKennie – Bundesliga, Schalke
  • Christian Pulisic – Premiership, Chelsea
  • Cristian Roldan – MLS, Seattle
  • Wil Trapp – MLS, Columbus
  • Jackson Yueill – MLS, San Jose
FORWARDS
  • Jozy Altidore – MLS, Toronto
  • Paul Arriola – MLS, DC United
  • Corey Baird – MLS, Salt Lake
  • Tyler Boyd - Turkish Süper Lig, Beşiktaş
  • Jordan Morris – MLS, Seattle
  • Josh Sargent - Bundesliga, Werder Bremen
  • Gyasi Zardes – MLS, Columbus

Reaction Score
Re Dest - I assume the US team is doing everything they can to bring him in. To my knowledge, he hasn't lived in the states, so culturally he's Dutch through and through. + his rise at Ajax. Not one bit surprised.

One less person for Trapp and Bradley to pass back to. That's all :)

Reaction Score
Re Dest - I assume the US team is doing everything they can to bring him in. To my knowledge, he hasn't lived in the states, so culturally he's Dutch through and through. + his rise at Ajax. Not one bit surprised.

One less person for Trapp and Bradley to pass back to. That's all :)

Trapp can pass? When did that happen?

Reaction Score
my XI vs Cuba ..

Steffen
Yedlin Long Miazga Ream
Roldan McKennie Pulisic
Boyd Sargent Arriola

Reaction Score

Looks like Dest is focused on Ajax right now and won't make a decision for a while on which national kit he will wear going forward.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good boy Greg has announced the USMNT Camp Roster for the CONCACAF Nations League. Don't worry folks, we're in good hands as Zardes will be there to ensure the safety of the other team's net while Wil Trapp will befuddle everyone with his shear incompetence playing a central defensive role. Out of 26 call-ups, 18 are from MLS (70%) who represent 14 of MLS’s 24 teams (58%). When MLS expands beyond 30 teams, will there be any slots on the USMNT roster for any non-MLS players?

There were a couple of notable absences due to injuries, including: Tyler Adams, Tim Weah, and John Brooks. The biggest shock absence is Sergio Dest (Ajax) who is being wooed by both USMNT and the Dutch national team. Why USMNT is not going all-out to Cap him is beyond me. Also, as Green has been playing well as noted above, not sure why he isn't at least getting a look. Overall, not much change from the summer friendlies, which worries me as if this is the team that Greg wants for WC qualifying next year, its scary.

GOALKEEPERS
  • Brad Guzan – MLS, Atlanta
  • Sean Johnson – MLS, NYCFC
  • Zack Steffen - Bundesliga, Fortuna Dusseldorf
DEFENDERS
  • Reggie Cannon – MLS, Dallas
  • Nick Lima – MLS, San Jose
  • Aaron Long – MLS, NJ Red Bulls
  • Daniel Lovitz – MLS, Montreal
  • Matt Miazga – EFL Championship, Reading
  • Tim Ream – EFL Championship, Fulham
  • DeAndre Yedlin – Premiership, Newcastle United
  • Walker Zimmerman – MLS, LAFC
MIDFIELDERS
  • Brenden Aaronson – MLS, Philly
  • Michael Bradley – MLS, Toronto
  • Sebastian Lletget – MLS, LA Galaxy
  • Weston McKennie – Bundesliga, Schalke
  • Christian Pulisic – Premiership, Chelsea
  • Cristian Roldan – MLS, Seattle
  • Wil Trapp – MLS, Columbus
  • Jackson Yueill – MLS, San Jose
FORWARDS
  • Jozy Altidore – MLS, Toronto
  • Paul Arriola – MLS, DC United
  • Corey Baird – MLS, Salt Lake
  • Tyler Boyd - Turkish Süper Lig, Beşiktaş
  • Jordan Morris – MLS, Seattle
  • Josh Sargent - Bundesliga, Werder Bremen
  • Gyasi Zardes – MLS, Columbus
Well one good thing is we are only playing Cuba and Canada. On the other hand we were only playing T&T. On the other, other hand it would be nice to see an real (hopefully) starting 11 play together before we actually get to WC Qualifying. (and just hope we haven't actually already seen that)

Reaction Score
The real test of this Bradley-Trapp-GGG love triangle will happen once Tyler Adams is healthy.

We will have a good midfield with McKennie/Adams in the middle

& we NEED to lock in some of the younger dual nats like Ledezma...especially the ones who were born here.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Trapp and Zardes for ‘earning’ another call up. WTF..., apparently all my teams are going to suck.

Canada may eat this teams lunch.

Reaction Score
Why are we starting Guzan? At least Trapp isn't dressed

Reaction Score
Not sure if the USA can be that good or Cuba is that bad, suspect it's a bit of both. The one thing I liked with Sargent, McKennie, and Pulisic on the field together (Adams is in the same group), the US offense has energy and aggression that we don't see with Zardes, Bradley, Trapp & co on the pitch. That in and of itself is a reason why these young guys should be starting every game when available. Pulisic looked rusty to me (damn Chelsea); but, it did not matter as Morris, Yueill, and Cannon fed-off that energy and stepped-up their game in addition to the quality of the opposing side.

It will be interesting to see MLBerhalter does againts a stronger Canadian team on Canadian soli next week. Does he keep with the young guns or does he revert to what we have seen through most of 2019.

I did not catch the exact number; but, I did not know that Cuba's national team has lost over 20 players in the last 2 decades to defections. Yikes.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cuba is that bad. I don’t get what Lovitz brings, it’s not even like he plays for a US based MLS team
Yea, he was pretty invisible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom