USMNT Falling | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USMNT Falling

Reaction Score
These games should be used to get the younger group and potential dual nationals on the field.

Reaction Score
Cuba is that bad, and apparently it was a really bad version of an already bad Cuba team. Canada will be a better barometer of progress. It is a game we should win, but they have players playing for big clubs across Europe... so it will be a much better test.
im curious if Yedlin starts/plays tomorrow. He’s back, and fully fit.

Reaction Score
Cuba is that bad, and apparently it was a really bad version of an already bad Cuba team. Canada will be a better barometer of progress. It is a game we should win, but they have players playing for big clubs across Europe... so it will be a much better test.
im curious if Yedlin starts/plays tomorrow. He’s back, and fully fit.

Cannon has been playing well lately, so Yedlin will have to earn it. More concerned if Zardes is back on the pitch and Sargent is on the bench. If that happens, Greg should be fired immediately (but won't).

Reaction Score
Cannon has been playing well lately, so Yedlin will have to earn it. More concerned if Zardes is back on the pitch and Sargent is on the bench. If that happens, Greg should be fired immediately (but won't).
I expect Zardes to start and Sargent to MAYBE be subbed on. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I don’t care one bit about the nation’s league but at least we are limited to 3 subs. The substitutions in friendlies can really dilute a game.

Reaction Score

The question is whether Yedlin still has his burst. After all he has been through he may not have the same gifts he had a couple of years ago. If he is 100%, he earn his place back.

Reaction Score
This team is gettting harder and harder to watch. The coach doesn’t have the answers and the players aren’t buying in to his plan. It’s not going to end well.

(sadly I could make the same post on a few of the various Boneyard forums and it would be applicable).

Reaction Score
Said it since day one

will it happen? Greggggggg’s brother is ceo of the federation...

get used to seeing Christian roldan on the field....

Reaction Score
GreGGGGG sucks. MLS sucks.

What is Aaron Long’s task and purpose?
Weird that you would go after Long. Although he wasn’t by any means great, or probably even good to be fair, he was our best player outside of Steffen.

Reaction Score
Weird that you would go after Long. Although he wasn’t by any means great, or probably even good to be fair, he was our best player outside of Steffen.

He literally is #%% terrible. Total garbage. A couple of his clearances were shocking.

Reaction Score
He literally is #%% terrible. Total garbage. A couple of his clearances were shocking.
Lol, if you think he was terrible what about Ream? Roldan? McKennie? Bradley? Each significantly worse.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The Berhalter Train is rolling, folks. Unfortunately, it's going in reverse. If they don't fire this clown and the clowns that put him there, pretty soon we'll get spanked by St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

I really did love hearing Twellman go on yet another rant at the end of the game...

Reaction Score
Long wasn't the problem.

This team can NOT string together three passes. They constantly give the ball away with no pressure, just turn it over. They lose way over 50% of, the poorly named, 50/50 balls.

They have no idea where they are going to pass when they receive the ball. And when they do pass thye are very inaccurate. There is no chemistry or cohesion.

When they try to apply pressure, Canada simply beat their pressure passing to open men. I freely admit I know nothing about soccer, I watch because my nephews like it and it give me something to talk about with them. But even I could see that one team knew what they were doing and the other had problems with basic skills.

Reaction Score
Give the team to the 18-21 yr olds in euro academies.
Enough of Bradley getting his pocket picked for goals.
I hope the L will be the impetus

Reaction Score
The Berhalter Train is rolling, folks. Unfortunately, it's going in reverse. If they don't fire this clown and the clowns that put him there, pretty soon we'll get spanked by St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

I really did love hearing Twellman go on yet another rant at the end of the game...

Twellman's rant was probably the highlight of the game to me. It was just disgusting.

While the Canadians got away with a few really nasty tackles that should have been Yellow, Laryea in particular, the US was just a mess from the start both in terms of effort and structure. No one stepped-up, even after going down 1-0 against a team that the US has not lost to for 30+ years. Yes, the Canada seems to be on the upswing; but, the US should win these games.

The player selection and structure of the team right from the start was a huge pile of steaming pile of X. Did Greg select the the starters in part to appease his MLS masters with Bradley (Toronto) and Lovitz (Montreal)? Canada has good speed in the attacking midfield with Davies and Osorio, which meant fast pressure against the US center. Bradley can't handle players with speed and either passes backwards into a black hole or gets dispossed. Roldan does not have a deft touch with his passes. Those two were overwhelmed from the start. Combine that collapse with McKennie's bad game and the US motor was dead on arrival. In turn, Sargent got pulled in deep to defend, which resulted in the loss of a key distribution outlet for the midfield and to keep the Canadian back from from joining in on the fun. At the same time, Pulisic was pulled away from the wing and in to the middle where he was often isolated and stripped while trying to take-on 3 or 4 red shirts at the same time. Greg's system relies on attacking fullbacks, yet Yeldin did very little going forward, likely because he is not 100% yet. That added to the mess in the middle as there was no wing play. Instead, Cannon, who has been playing well, should have started in Yeldin's place. Based on the roster, not sure who would have been a better choice than Lovitz. In the middle, I would have had Arriola (Twellman pointed to Lletget, which at least shows acknowledgement of the issue and an attempt to adapt), who has a better soft touch than Roldan, and Yueill, who showed the other night he can serve a good long ball (to break a fast press) to provide better options against what Canada was going to throw at the US. Oh, and if the US was still down, why the heck put in Gyasi "Face" Zardes in instead of a guy like Boyd?

It's been months now and its clear that Greg is underwater trying to make the USSF powers happy with questionable player selection and then jamming those players into his system, which really did not work well in Columbus either. It's also clear that the USMNT players are not buying it and benching Pulisic, even if he was having a bad game, looks to be more of a power play than a tactical adjustment. Even if USSF fired him, which they won't, that's only a part of the problem. USSF needs to be cleared-out.

At this stage, call it 50/50 is the US qualifies for the 2020 World Cup, which is abhorrent.

Reaction Score
Twellman's rant was probably the highlight of the game to me. It was just disgusting.

While the Canadians got away with a few really nasty tackles that should have been Yellow, Laryea in particular, the US was just a mess from the start both in terms of effort and structure. No one stepped-up, even after going down 1-0 against a team that the US has not lost to for 30+ years. Yes, the Canada seems to be on the upswing; but, the US should win these games.

The player selection and structure of the team right from the start was a huge pile of steaming pile of X. Did Greg select the the starters in part to appease his MLS masters with Bradley (Toronto) and Lovitz (Montreal)? Canada has good speed in the attacking midfield with Davies and Osorio, which meant fast pressure against the US center. Bradley can't handle players with speed and either passes backwards into a black hole or gets dispossed. Roldan does not have a deft touch with his passes. Those two were overwhelmed from the start. Combine that collapse with McKennie's bad game and the US motor was dead on arrival. In turn, Sargent got pulled in deep to defend, which resulted in the loss of a key distribution outlet for the midfield and to keep the Canadian back from from joining in on the fun. At the same time, Pulisic was pulled away from the wing and in to the middle where he was often isolated and stripped while trying to take-on 3 or 4 red shirts at the same time. Greg's system relies on attacking fullbacks, yet Yeldin did very little going forward, likely because he is not 100% yet. That added to the mess in the middle as there was no wing play. Instead, Cannon, who has been playing well, should have started in Yeldin's place. Based on the roster, not sure who would have been a better choice than Lovitz. In the middle, I would have had Arriola (Twellman pointed to Lletget, which at least shows acknowledgement of the issue and an attempt to adapt), who has a better soft touch than Roldan, and Yueill, who showed the other night he can serve a good long ball (to break a fast press) to provide better options against what Canada was going to throw at the US. Oh, and if the US was still down, why the heck put in Gyasi "Face" Zardes in instead of a guy like Boyd?

It's been months now and its clear that Greg is underwater trying to make the USSF powers happy with questionable player selection and then jamming those players into his system, which really did not work well in Columbus either. It's also clear that the USMNT players are not buying it and benching Pulisic, even if he was having a bad game, looks to be more of a power play than a tactical adjustment. Even if USSF fired him, which they won't, that's only a part of the problem. USSF needs to be cleared-out.

At this stage, call it 50/50 is the US qualifies for the 2020 World Cup, which is abhorrent.

The USSF has it backwards.

They think that force-feeding under-talented MLS players into the USMNT will make MLS popular and profitable.

In reality, a competitive and successful USMNT -- wherever the players' clubs are -- will amplify interest in soccer in the US, which will in turn drive interest in MLS and ultimately improve that product.

Reaction Score
Why on earth was Pulisic subbed out at 60 min? There's a video of him pissed off and yelling at GB on the sideline after the sub.

Reaction Score
Why on earth was Pulisic subbed out at 60 min? There's a video of him pissed off and yelling at GB on the sideline after the sub.

It's been reported that Pulisic had the flu. I call that Bullsheet. Greg replaced him with Arriola, who is also a play maker; but, not at the level that Pulisic is, even on a bad day, though Arriola is more of a central midfield guy than a wing. Thus, it was a 1 for 1 sub versus a tactical sub and felt more like a power play by Greg. Otherwise, why pull-off the team's best play maker when the team needed a goal?

Down by a goal, and playing like trash, Greg had to adapt and did not. I would have made three subs. First, pull Yeldin, who was not 100%, and repalce him with Cannon who would have orders to be very aggressive in moving forward and provide support to Pulisic on the wing. Second, McKennie had a bad game and I would have pulled him in favor of Boyd who I would have then sent out to the right wing to allow Morris to push up and provide another option on top with Sargent. Third, I would sit Bradley, which would never happen because the game was in Toronto and MLS has to have its money, because he was entirely ineffective against Canada's speed press. I would have replaced him with either Arriola or Yueill to provide better service out fo the Midfield while dropping Roldan deeper to help cover with Cannon pressing-up. That's putting more speed on the field to counter what Canada was doing and additional scorer on top when the team is down by a goal. It's call a tactical adjustment, which Greg has no concept of.

I have a feeling he'll be ill again the next time the USMNT under Greg gives him a call to play. I would not blame him

Reaction Score
To me, Aaron Long and Lovitz are just the poster boys for kind sub par player that is being forced on this team.

The back line was not good. They took FOREVER to move the ball from left to right.

And wth is Michael Bradley doing back there. He’s made 3-4 coaches look bad as the #6. Why do we keep doing this?

He was starting play back there and we basically kept a back three when we should have been sending more numbers forward and taking a more direct route.

This program is a joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom