USMNT Falling

-
It hasn't shown on the field yet, or even the roster, but you have to like the number of young players who are stepping up in Europe at the moment. Reyna contributing for Dortmund at his age is a huge deal. Robinson playing well enough that Milan wanted to sign him is a huge deal. Timmy Chandler having huge success at Frankfurt having been moved up to a wing is a huge deal. We need a striker to come forward, and Weah to get on the field and show he can play every day at that level, but the potential to field an 11 of players all able to play on at least Europa level teams is there.

Possible 4-2-3-1 team for this World Cup, almost all of whom will be better for the World Cup we host:

Steffen in net.
Brooks and Long at FB.
Yedlin, Dest and Robinson fighting for 2 wingback slots.
Adams and McKennie at holding mid, with Holmes backing them up.
Pulisic plus some combination of Weah, Chandler and Reyna behind the striker.
At the moment, Jozy or Sargent but desperately hoping someone makes a huge jump by then.

I've said since I saw him star at one of the under-something world cups, I'm not totally sold. Loved his technical skills and understanding of his position, but worried that lack of speed will put a ceiling on his effectiveness.

ZooCougar

Shut Up Carl.
I've said since I saw him star at one of the under-something world cups, I'm not totally sold. Loved his technical skills and understanding of his position, but worried that lack of speed will put a ceiling on his effectiveness.
Without even going into Dempsey, Brian McBride was better than anyone we have now. So much better.

I don't think it will be Sargent as our guy up top. Not really sure if we have a true 9 in the pipeline

Too early to tell where Sargent's ceiling is. But we have very few big, physical players who can hold position and even as a teenager he seems capable of that. That is the also the value of Josey. Unfortunately he gets hurt every five minutes.
True and with the speed that the US may have out on the wings with Pulisic, Adams, McKinnie, etc. they may not need speed at 9. He he can fill that McBride role, who was not fast either - the guile and strength to run at central defenders, hold the ball, and then distribute to the attacking edges. Add in the skill and height to make a good aerial game and a nose to poach ugly goals, it could work well for Sargent and USMNT. Of course, since he doesn't play for MLS, who knows what Berhalter will do.