USMNT Falling | Page 10 | The Boneyard

USMNT Falling

Reaction Score
50B375EB-A894-4101-875E-86F3278F941F.jpeg

disclaimer: I did not create this.

let’s have a little fun - who you got? MLS (left) or Abroad (right)?

Abroad wins 3-1, for me.

Reaction Score
Other than Pomykal, I have little hope that any of those MLS players are the future for the men's team.

Reaction Score
I've seen a couple of these proposed 2022 lineups with Cannon or Robinson over Yedlin. Know Yedlin isn't exactly Marcelo, but are we sure those two are better?

And I'd put Reyna in over Weah

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
View attachment 53005
disclaimer: I did not create this.

let’s have a little fun - who you got? MLS (left) or Abroad (right)?

Abroad wins 3-1, for me.
I'd take the MLS FW line, based on experience. Abroad has more talent, but they're really young. In another year or two (IF they actually get to play), they should overtake the MLS.
Defense, Abroad, but not by a lot. Not sold on Brooks/Miazga combo. And I'd probably switch Dest to the left and use Yedlin on the right. I'd like it better then.

However, the Abroad MF is light years ahead of the MLS MF. That's where Abroad would probably win.

Reaction Score
Lots of rumors swirling that US Soccer is going to pull the plug on both Boys Development Academy and Girls Development Academy.

Reaction Score
Lots of rumors swirling that US Soccer is going to pull the plug on both Boys Development Academy and Girls Development Academy.

What? Why? That would be ridiculous. The DA is light years ahead of other leagues.

Reaction Score
I think there may be some

I think there may be some people hoping this is true because they are not in the DA.

The savings of $9m seems piddling, and I find the other reasons specious.

I talked to a UEFA-licensed coach here in the states recently that went into great depth about how the DA is doing things right. If we go back to the other way, I expect the rate of development to falter and for US Soccer to be set back.

Reaction Score
I think there may be some

I think there may be some people hoping this is true because they are not in the DA.

The savings of $9m seems piddling, and I find the other reasons specious.

I talked to a UEFA-licensed coach here in the states recently that went into great depth about how the DA is doing things right. If we go back to the other way, I expect the rate of development to falter and for US Soccer to be set back.
I've been hearing several high end clubs have left DA for ECNL, this not to mention that MLS apparently wants to cut out the non-MLS weak sister clubs. I'm curious to see if there's fire to this smoke.

Reaction Score
I've been hearing several high end clubs have left DA for ECNL, this not to mention that MLS apparently wants to cut out the non-MLS weak sister clubs. I'm curious to see if there's fire to this smoke.

Why would they leave DA for ECNL? Easier competition? Then you're ceding ground and players to the DA teams in your region that can recruit players by offering better competition.

As for the MLS clubs, they are generally among the better clubs, but by and large they lose games to the non-MLS affiliated clubs. Our club finished above some MLS this year, they are ahead of NYC FC, New England Revs. You can see the standings here: U.S. Soccer Development Academy

Montreal Impact is very strong but otherwise... most of the teams are competitive with MLS.

Our club has also put 6 players into MLS in recent years.

Reaction Score
While our club has said nothing about this, a private trainer who has been involved with 2 of the biggest DA clubs just emailed me and said it's true, so my skepticism was wrong:

"Wednesday, April 14th

Hello all! I hope this email finds you all safe and in good health.

With the recent news surrounding the Girls AND THE Boys Development Academies potentially folding, I'm reminded of all the opinions I've held on the DA over the years.

Especially regarding the boys, not many have been in support for the DA more than me dating back to the beginning back in 2007. Those feelings multiplied when I got to work with DA coaches and players full time in 2010 and I got a glimpse of what the DA really was. I actively wanted to develop players for that level. Even when I wasn't at a DA club yet, I would educate my players families about how THAT was the level to strive for. My support of the DA actually backfired on me back then while I was at a NON-DA club as my players would end up leaving for the DA clubs at U11 even though the DA at that point didn't start until U16. Brings back memories.

Below, are some of the thoughts and opinions on the DA including an epic fail of a prediction as well as my criticism of the United States Soccer Federation.

While the girls DA news wasn't exactly a shock, EVERYONE was blindsided about the news of the boys sides. There is a chance the boys side is salvaged but it won't look the same with the MLS teams leaving (again, not a shock for anyone). As of right now, I know of at least one boys DA club that has a conference call with both USSF and ECNL on Wednesday. I'll do my best to keep you guys posted if anything new develops."

Reaction Score
I'm not surprised at GDA going by the wayside at all. At least in CT, the single GDA club has been a distant third to the two ECNL clubs in talent, results and college recruiting. I've heard it's similar in other states. Even BDA has shown cracks in CT. There's two BDA clubs in CT - one in particular cannot get out of its own way (dumpster fire), and the other is better but isn't considered that much better than the two Boy's ECNL clubs in CT. I realize CT is small potatoes in the youth soccer world though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why would they leave DA for ECNL? Easier competition? Then you're ceding ground and players to the DA teams in your region that can recruit players by offering better competition.

As for the MLS clubs, they are generally among the better clubs, but by and large they lose games to the non-MLS affiliated clubs. Our club finished above some MLS this year, they are ahead of NYC FC, New England Revs. You can see the standings here: U.S. Soccer Development Academy

Montreal Impact is very strong but otherwise... most of the teams are competitive with MLS.

Our club has also put 6 players into MLS in recent years.

This puts more power and more money into MLS, which has been the focus over talent development for, what, a decade now.

Reaction Score
I can only say I've talked about the Boys' DA with people that know infinitely more about soccer than people coaching premier teams. One guy coached at the top levels in Europe. The DA programs ran their training like the Euro youth academies. It was absolutely systematized from fitness to style of play etc. I think we're seeing the fruits of the DA now.

I can't see how this will focus things more on MLS (unless you mean the pro teams rather than the academies) since many of the best Americans actually came out of non-MLS DA clubs. Pulisic and Sargent for instance.

Here is just a cobbled together list and you'll see half the players from non-MLS DA clubs. It is not a given that these players will leave home to join the MLS academies, nor is it even certain that the MLS clubs can scout these players properly. The DA was great because untouted players got a chance to stay home, get great training and coaching, and also compete at the highest levels. This whole structure is now gone. Unless the DA clubs import it with them into the National League (or wherever they end up), I don't see how this can be perceived as a positive:

Reaction Score
This puts more power and more money into MLS, which has been the focus over talent development for, what, a decade now.

Apparrently, a bunch of MLS teams have been lobbying to get rid of their academies.

Reaction Score
As mentioned in many other threads, I can see many D1 programs cutting soccer. Paying thousands for youth club soccer is even less likely to pay off in the next 5 years than previously. In a dream world you get Euro clubs like Dortmund and Benfica creating academies here in the states with their proven track record of selling. The talent is here, the systems are not.

Reaction Score
Oh great, so no DA and no academies. Who is going to develop these kids?
ECNL does a good job in CT, definitely on the girl's side and arguably on the boy's side.

Reaction Score
ECNL does a good job in CT, definitely on the girl's side and arguably on the boy's side.

I can only speak to our experience in WNY, but the local ECNL team is in the top of the midwest standings. I know their coaching and training regimen. On the boys side, there is just no comparison with DA.

My emphasis is on the coaching and training. The DA spent years developing their training regimens and paying coaches decently so that there would be consistency and best practices throughout US Soccer. From what I see on the boys's side, ECNL can't provide what the DA did. The girl's side never took off, nor did the clubs expend the resources they did on the boy's side.

Reaction Score
I can only speak to our experience in WNY, but the local ECNL team is in the top of the midwest standings. I know their coaching and training regimen. On the boys side, there is just no comparison with DA.

My emphasis is on the coaching and training. The DA spent years developing their training regimens and paying coaches decently so that there would be consistency and best practices throughout US Soccer. From what I see on the boys's side, ECNL can't provide what the DA did. The girl's side never took off, nor did the clubs expend the resources they did on the boy's side.
GDA side in CT was a non-starter; one club participating and they never got the top talent because those types of girls stuck with the two ECNL clubs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
U.S. Soccer terminates youth academy amid virus USSF ends academy; MLS announces youth league

Here ya go. Youth academy is finished.

Also saw an article on how MLS will likely not be returning anytime soon. Playing behind closed doors does not benefit them as most revenue is from ticket sales and concessions. It was not a very positive sounding article but it did start with saying that many owners had invested too much to fold. However, I found it interesting that the article started this way....I think that MLS is on shakier ground then they are saying. This shut down couldn't come at a worse time for them. Human implications aside, the league was really growing with attendance and talent. This halt and the reality that they may not start again until a vaccine is found, is going to really set them back years. I wouldn't be surprised to see many clubs fold, mostly expansion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom