USF Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

USF Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Butler was wearing the splint in the last game too.

It's been said that Natalie will be wearing the splint through the regular season. Better cautious than lose her for even more time. The only other close games will be USC and the rematch with USF. No sense taking any chances.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why does UCONN have to apologize for winning a game by ONLY 10 or 15 points against good teams? So what if SC beats UCONN next month. ND beat UCONN three times in 2013 but lost in the NCAA tournament. I bet ND would trade those three wins during the season for that one UCONN had in the NC tournament. The wins during the NCAA tournament are the MOST important ones. Some UCONN fans are just too spoiled. You should be appreciative of what you have now. The time is coming when you will be cherishing a one point win and a visit to the Elite Eight will be a stretch.

Reaction Score
Just thought. I'd mention that during the game, I noticed on several occasions Uconn had players wide open under the basket. Gabby was begging for the ball at least twice but nobody could find her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Aside from playing a wonderful game
Morgan seemed more mobile and ran more easily, seemingly pain-free, than in some time.
The day or two off really seemed to help

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
One thing I noticed today was KLS taking her player down low and posting up. she most ofter is guarded by a significantly smaller player and if our posts are playing a high post the low post area should be relatively clear of bigs. I like that as a play going forward for her. I know it worked at least once for a score and I saw her calling for the ball down low a few times.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I REALLY wish we had a "don't like" button
It's simply amazing what some folks expect from college students, most especially the level of perfection they expect from freshman barely a third into their first year, or a sophomore similarly in their second.

Reaction Score
That depends on what is in the glass.
Actually the glass is always full unless it is in a vacuum. It is filled with different states of matter, liquid, gas and maybe even solid.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Papa33 said:
I REALLY wish we had a "don't like" button

Yes, I agree with you about that. Go back and replay the Notre Dame game,where at least 2 of her 3 3-point makes were in clutch situations.

Beyond just shooting, one of KLS's strengths is her level of play under pressure. That U-18 game experience hasn't gone to waste. Against DePaul, Geno had her in the game when their press was causing problems, and she made the right passes and avoided turnovers.

Other than missing more threes than anyone expected (which she has done consistently, pressure or no pressure), it would be hard to find examples of where pressure affected her game negatively, and several examples of where the opposite occurred.

Reaction Score
If USF played this hard and with such concentration all year they would only have one loss. Great job by UCONN taking the bull by the horns. :p

I remember hearing that Chong's injury could flare up at any time and keep her out. Wondering if that's what happened today.
I was wondering about injuries or did we get a glimpse into where the bench stops in big games. Seven players.

Reaction Score
Just had chance to watch entire game.

1--- The referees were disgusting. Two calls on Stewie were a complete joke. Her 1st foul -- I think was wrong too - but arguable. But frankly in a BIG GAME in that these two teams are prohibitive top 2 and you call that vs what you let go - it is disgusting. Incompetence rules here. Would the refs call as many touch fouls like that on Williams? And even the 4th foul - but I can see that one. But even that - Williams barreling down the lane throws her body in - her shot not affected. Maybe because this wasn't a two point game. Anyhow awful excuse for competent officiating from the refs.

2-- The game wasn't that close. Not a complete blowout but let's not overdo it here. Over 20 points ahead - they hit 3 contested threes. For them to have a chance they would have needed - what? To drill 8 contested threes in a row in a span of a minute and half? Are we playing Steph Curry and the olden State Warriors? No --

3- Geno may have to consider pulling NC as a starter. Obviously he favors her defense and rebounding but her offense - not giving UCONN anything.

4-- Don't know why Chong an Butler didn't play. This year very odd - especially now reading CD's comments about "talent." Though as I mentioned on the other thread - sometimes CD makes oddball comments which in this case could have been nothing more than a little vent and coaching.

5-- Nice to see Mo, Nurse, KLS and Tuck drill 3's. And what a move Mo put on for the one floater in the lane. Hopefully Mo, Nurse and KLS can have a nice springboard of nailing shots at higher % vs their season numbers going forward.

6-- That frosh they got -- very nice player. Good for the league to keep bringing in talent.

7-- Over the next two games unless injuries come up- this was USF's chance yet they had the injury. Does anyone really think they are going to beat UCONN in Ct? Or come NCAA time when refs will probably not seek out calling fouls on UCONN's best player - one of the greatest wcbb player's the game has ever seen (I did not say THE greatest)?

Reaction Score
That she hasn't doesn't mean she won't. Lou has dominated Laksa defensively and Laksa has done squat in that regard. I'd take KLS over Laksa every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Yes indeed- 4 years from now,who will be a more renowned player? KLS or Laska? My money's on KLS

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes indeed- 4 years from now,who will be a more renowned player? KLS or Laska? My money's on KLS

Maybe, but it's not an outrage to point out that Laska has scored and shot better of the two this year, and today.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. It's like spoilied fans on steroids sometimes. Not only are we expected and favored to win all the games we are expected to be "perfect" by some as well. Too bad things have evolved to this point. That was a great win over a team that played as good as they could have. That Williams is a tremendous talent.
Those "some" include our very own head coach. These high standards are the reason we've been so successful. Ignoring areas for improvement is how you become Tennessee or Duke.
We are fans, not coaches. Our job is to buy tickets and cheer for the team, not criticize kids for not being robots.

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game a little while ago. I live in Lakeland, which is forty-five minutes east of the Sun Dome. You wouldn't have heard it on your broadcast; however, the announcer in the arena got booed as loud as anyone could in a home arena when he said, "That was a little bit of a dirty foul, Breanna Stewart" when Breanna got tangled up with one of USF's guards and fell over her towards the end of the third quarter. The UConn fans let him hear it. Too many missed open players, too many missed layups, cold shooting and Courtney Williams and that freshman three-point shooter are for real. Still won by fifteen on their court.

Are you kidding me? The announcer thought that was a foul on Stewart?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I was wondering about injuries or did we get a glimpse into where the bench stops in big games. Seven players.

It may, but there are also more "development" games to come for players like Butler in conference. If there is foul trouble the bench may have to go deeper. As for Chong the knee condition at game time will probably dictate her status. I think she is one of the trusted players now.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed today was KLS taking her player down low and posting up. she most ofter is guarded by a significantly smaller player and if our posts are playing a high post the low post area should be relatively clear of bigs. I like that as a play going forward for her. I know it worked at least once for a score and I saw her calling for the ball down low a few times.

If that is on occasion - sure. Im sure part of the offense when she cuts is to try and post. And she is a super passer. She has to learn to do everything. But until imo we see a year to two years of her throwing up bricks from 3, I want her to keep shooting 3's at a high rate especially when teams go zone and all but give her the go-ahead to shoot.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Again, not too pleased with some of the comments directed at or about our players by a few members of the BY. We are not the Duke coaching staff; our kids do not deserve to be thrown under -- or even NEAR the damned bus. I am not a mod, nor do I want to be. But maybe we could lighten up just a little? Maybe I am asking too much.
I would much rather watch the game than read some of the comments in the game threads but if the score stays close for a while, I log in to keep some of the more restless fans from crucifying the kids. The players don't owe us anything and to expect perfection is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Just thought. I'd mention that during the game, I noticed on several occasions Uconn had players wide open under the basket. Gabby was begging for the ball at least twice but nobody could find her.

Seems like both Pheese and Lou would get open in the post and no one sees them for the entry pass attempt. I sometimes wonder if it's intentional.

Reaction Score
It may, but there are also more "development" games to come for players like Butler in conference. If there is foul trouble the bench may have to go deeper. As for Chong the knee condition at game time will probably dictate her status. I think she is one of the trusted players now.
Butler didn't play because Geno knew he had to have mobile defenders who could match up with Williams and Laksa on switches. Not much more to read into her lack of PT. The USF bigs were no factor.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe, but it's not an outrage to point out that Laska has scored and shot better of the two this year, and today.
KLS
7.9 ppg (40.4% FG%, 30.8% from three)
3.1 rpg
2.0 apg
0.8 spg
28 assists to 13 TOs = 2.2 A:TO
15 personal fouls

Kitija Laksa
12.1 ppg (40.5% FG%, 41.5% from three)
1.9 rpg
0.6 apg
0.5 spg
9 assists to 19 TOs = 0.5 A:TO
33 personal fouls

Kitija Laksa has shot the three ball better than Lou at this point in the season, but Katie Lou Samuelson is a better basketball player. That's been my point. And her defense on Laksa was stellar.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Butler didn't play because Geno knew he had to have mobile defenders who could match up with Williams and Laksa on switches. Not much more to read into her lack of PT. The USF bigs were no factor.

Perhaps but I she is more fluid and athletic than I expected her to be. I think with more experience she gets into the rotation even against athletic teams.

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game a little while ago. I live in Lakeland, which is forty-five minutes east of the Sun Dome. You wouldn't have heard it on your broadcast; however, the announcer in the arena got booed as loud as anyone could in a home arena when he said, "That was a little bit of a dirty foul, Breanna Stewart" when Breanna got tangled up with one of USF's guards and fell over her towards the end of the third quarter. The UConn fans let him hear it. Too many missed open players, too many missed layups, cold shooting and Courtney Williams and that freshman three-point shooter are for real. Still won by fifteen on their court.
Glad you made the game! We did not hear the arena announcer but we did hear the booing! At that point the TV talking heads mentioned how well UCONN fans travel and also have fans nation wide. "Sounds like we are playing this at UCONN". Stewart had four fouls today and both of the charging fouls would have been no calls on a neutral court. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Kitija Laksa has shot the ball better than Lou from the three at this point in the season, but Katie Lou Samuelson is a better basketball player. That's been my point. And her defense on Laksa was stellar.

Ok, not arguing at this point. Will say that KLS is not averaging 6 rebounds a game. You put in Williams' number.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

You mean the announcer in the arena was offering "Commentary" on the plays rather than just matter of factly reporting on who was called for a foul, who scored and the substitutions? I haven't been to a live game for a while but is this common now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom