USBWA Women's All America Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USBWA Women's All America Team

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is not only that but the greatest woman player in college history. That then record streak is still the longest by any starting player. She also, led the only back to back undefeated national championship teams. In UConn history she is: 1st in career total pts. & PPG; Top 10 in: 3ptFG, 3PT%, Reb., AS.,Blocks, Steals. She is 1st UConn all-time in: Season Pts. & PPG. She is only UConn player to score 40 in a game twice. However, above all that she is WCB number 1 all-time in the ultimate category which is the eye test. BTW, as I have stated many times KLS did not have an off year. She was a victim of her own rep as a great 3pt shooter. She actually had her best all-around season with career highs in Reb, FT% & Blocks (her 3pt% still better than Durr & AO). When her incomparable team play & intangibles are factored in she was a 1st team AA again. Perhaps the coaches will agree with me. If they do she will be only the 5th UConn woman to be chosen WBCA AA 3 times.
I think Lou's 3-point shot was off this year, and a lot of voters focus on things like that. I totally agree that her overall game expanded. I think she, Sabrina, and Phee are the most well-rounded players in the draft. Lou made the 2nd team USBWA AA list. She could make the 10-player WBCA list.

Who are the prior 4 Huskies to make the WBCA AA team 3x? I'm thinking it was Sveta, Diana, Maya, and Stewie.

Since the advent of NCAA WCBB, I think Maya Moore may have had the best career ever.

Reaction Score
I think Lou's 3-point shot was off this year, and a lot of voters focus on things like that. I totally agree that her overall game expanded. I think she, Sabrina, and Phee are the most well-rounded players in the draft. Lou made the 2nd team USBWA AA list. She could make the 10-player WBCA list.

Who are the prior 4 Huskies to make the WBCA AA team 3x? I'm thinking it was Sveta, Diana, Maya, and Stewie.

Since the advent of NCAA WCBB, I think Maya Moore may have had the best career ever.
Those 4 are the others and they along with KLS have these things in common: The can all play inside or outside, with or without the ball and they are all very good to great passers. I can make the case that they are the 5 most accomplished players in UConn women's basketball history. Basketball is a game of all-around skill because there are no goal keepers, pitchers or QBs. All players are required to do everything at some point in every game. Because of individual physical attributes some may be required to do some things more than others. However, because the goal is 10 feet above the playing surface player height is THE major physical attribute. That cannot be denied. It is not a coincidence that all 5 of these players are at least 6 foot tall. As far as making the WBCA AA team this season I am thinking that the thought process of voters who are coaches will be the deciding factor in evaluating player performance and KLS being awarded what she certainly deserves.

Reaction Score
The WBCA list has 10 players on it as All-Americans!
The USBWA Women's AA team is different. Writers vs Coaches!
Either the AP or WBCA lists will get a UCONN player on the WOH!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ESPN All America: 1st and 2nd teams picked by 3 or 4 people. A larger selection panel would go aways to include all conferences and mitigate prejudices.

AP All America: 1st 2nd and 3rd teams and Honorable mentions. Selected by 28 AP affiliated sports people.

USBWA All America: 1st 2nd and 3rd teams. Selected by US Basketball Writers Association.

WBCA NCAA DI Coaches' All-America Team: 10 All Americans selected. Sponsored by the NCAA . Selection to this All America team qualifies a player for the Husky Wall of Honor. I believe the underlined portion is a change. Previously coaches could only nominate three players.

I don't believe it's ever been officially stated what lists actually constitute the Husky Wall of Honor. However, in the annual UCONN Media Guide they list AP, WBCA and USBWA. So the best assumption would be 1st team on any of those. IF a player is 1st team AP or USBWA (5 person) then more than likely they will be on the WBCA. We've never had anyone on the 1st team AP or 1st team USBWA and not be on WBCA. Nor did we, when the USBWA was a 10 person team, ever have someone on the USBWA that wasn't on the WBCA. So we've never actually been able to test the theory.

Either way, both KLS and Collier are already on the WOH.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well I assume the CPOY is based on only those games played in conference but those games only make up approx half the total games played.

So while CPOY is a good guideline for NPOY it is not necessarily definitive.
Don’t believe the honors are for conference play only. The conference player of the week awards starts at the beginning of the season, before conference play

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maya is not only that but the greatest woman player in college history. That then record streak is still the longest by any starting player. She also, led the only back to back undefeated national championship teams. In UConn history she is: 1st in career total pts. & PPG; Top 10 in: 3ptFG, 3PT%, Reb., AS.,Blocks, Steals. She is 1st UConn all-time in: Season Pts. & PPG. She is only UConn player to score 40 in a game twice. However, above all that she is WCB number 1 all-time in the ultimate category which is the eye test. BTW, as I have stated many times KLS did not have an off year. She was a victim of her own rep as a great 3pt shooter. She actually had her best all-around season with career highs in Reb, FT% & Blocks (her 3pt% still better than Durr & AO). When her incomparable team play & intangibles are factored in she was a 1st team AA again. Perhaps the coaches will agree with me. If they do she will be only the 5th UConn woman to be chosen WBCA AA 3 times.

You'll get lots of arguments from many of the Boneyard faithful on this (some will agree), in spite all of her records she currently holds which speak for themselves!! Diana Taurasi is considered by many to to the best female player to EVER come through UConn. Taurasi holds a special place in the hearts of many UConn fans.

If one were curious to find out where Taurasi stands in UConn's individual records book, one would find that Maya Moore is at the top or near the top in every category listed, not Taurasi. Some will proclaim Taurasi the greatest UConn player, records be damned. :mad:

I do recognize Taurasi as one of the 5 faces on my Mount Rushmore of UConn Women's Basketball, Moore is right next to her. My Mount Rushmore has 5 faces. I could not restrict it to only 4.

We all have our own opinions, and criteria in arriving at a final conclusion. For ALL the reasons you so meticulously noted, I find it hard to argue those facts (records). Moore is the reason I began to follow the WNBA in 2011. I wanted to continue to watch her play at the next level. Maya is class. She and Rebecca Lobo have been the quintessential spokeswomen and ambassadors for the UConn women's basketball program, the WNBA. You've never heard or read anything negative about either one of these ladies. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can't help thinking about the 3rd team AP

Katie Lou Saumelson
Jessica Shepard
Jackie Young
Lauren Cox
Sophie Cunningham.

Anybody think they'd lose a lot of games (to anyone?)
I'd happily bet them against either of the 1st, 2 teams...AP, USBWA, whomever.

Reaction Score
#JusticeforJackie

That boggles my mind. Jackie is my least favorite ND player...in a good way. She is so annoyingly good at basketball :D:cool::p how is she not getting any shine.

Reaction Score
WBCA ANNOUNCES REGION FINALISTS FOR 2019 NCAA DIVISION I COACHES’ ALL-AMERICA

and reprinted below. You can see they changed the rules about how many a coach can nominate since MM nominated all five of her starters. Its curious that Notre Dame's region has 13 nominees while UConn's region was only allowed to put forward eight nominees.

ATLANTA (March 21, 2019) — The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced today the region finalists for 2019 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America honors. The selection committee will select the 10-member WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team from these 52 candidates.
Here are the region finalists:
REGION 1
Name School

Bella Alarie Princeton University
Asia Durr University of Louisville
Kiah Gillespie Florida State University
Emese Hof University of Miami
Paris Kea University of North Carolina
Kiara Leslie North Carolina State University
Marina Mabrey University of Notre Dame
Tiana Mangakahia Syracuse University
Beatrice Mompremier University of Miami
Arike Ogunbowale University of Notre Dame
Jessica Shepard University of Notre Dame
Brianna Turner University of Notre Dame
Jackie Young University of Notre Dame

REGION 2
Name School

Chennedy Carter Texas A&M University
Sophie Cunningham University of Missouri
Rennia Davis University of Tennessee
Reyna Frost Central Michigan University
Tyasha Harris University of South Carolina
Anriel Howard Mississippi State University
Rhyne Howard University of Kentucky
Presley Hudson Central Michigan University
Darby Maggard Belmont University
Teaira McCowan Mississippi State University
Maci Morris University of Kentucky
Caliya Robinson University of Georgia

REGION 3
Name School

Kalani Brown Baylor University
Bridget Carleton Iowa State University
Napheesa Collier University of Connecticut
Lauren Cox Baylor University
Crystal Dangerfield University of Connecticut
Vivian Gray Oklahoma State University
Tynice Martin West Virginia University
Katie Lou Samuelson University of Connecticut

REGION 4
Name School

Kenisha Bell University of Minnesota
Allazia Blockton Marquette University
Kaila Charles University of Maryland
Mart’e Grays DePaul University
Megan Gustafson University of Iowa
Natisha Hiedeman Marquette University
Becca Hittner Drake University
Teniya Page Penn State University
Hallie Thome University of Michigan

REGION 5
Name School

Kristine Anigwe University of California - Berkeley
Ruthy Hebard University of Oregon
Megan Huff University of Utah
Sabrina Ionescu University of Oregon
Aari McDonald University of Arizona
Michaela Onyenwere University of California - Los Angeles
Mikayla Pivec Oregon State University
Satou Sabally University of Oregon
Destiny Slocum Oregon State University
Alanna Smith Stanford University

The selection committee uses an equation to determine an equitable number of nominees from each region. The number of NCAA Division I institutions in each region is divided by the number of NCAA Division I institutions overall to determine a percentage for each region. This percentage is then multiplied by 52 (the total number of desired finalists) to get the number of finalists for each region.
The 2019 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team will be announced Thursday, April 4, during the WBCA Convention at Amalie Arena in Tampa Bay, Florida.
Visit Past Teams - NCAA Division I to see a list of past WBCA Coaches’ All-America teams.

Last edited:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This comes up every year. The WBCA All American Team is the only All American Team that qualifies a player for the Husky Wall of Honor.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She actually had her best all-around season with career highs in Reb, FT% & Blocks (her 3pt% still better than Durr & AO). When her incomparable team play & intangibles are factored in she was a 1st team AA again.
You speak truth.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is this a new thing? I thought the USBWA AA team was just a single 10-player team with no designation of first, second or third.

Also, I strenuously object to Durr’s exclusion from First Team.
Oh, "strenuously object" duly noted! :D

So the ACC coaches who play 18 games against Arike and Asia, have selected Asia as their POY for two years in a row, but due to the ESPN hype of the WCBB Championship with Arike on a loop play list, have single handedly swayed these mindless voters... a shame really.

Reaction Score
This comes up every year. The WBCA All American Team is the only All American Team that qualifies a player for the Husky Wall of Honor.

Wbbfan1- - -We'll have to agree to disagree! The AP AA team is the most important Nation-wide, but both the Coaches & Writers polls hold some weight on the Husky Wall Of Honor selections!

Reaction Score
WBCA ANNOUNCES REGION FINALISTS FOR 2019 NCAA DIVISION I COACHES’ ALL-AMERICA

and reprinted below. You can see they changed the rules about how many a coach can nominate since MM nominated all five of her starters. Its curious that Notre Dame's region has 13 nominees while UConn's region was only allowed to put forward eight nominees.

ATLANTA (March 21, 2019) — The Women’s Basketball Coaches Association announced today the region finalists for 2019 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America honors. The selection committee will select the 10-member WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team from these 52 candidates.
Here are the region finalists:
REGION 1
Name School

Bella Alarie Princeton University
Asia Durr University of Louisville
Kiah Gillespie Florida State University
Emese Hof University of Miami
Paris Kea University of North Carolina
Kiara Leslie North Carolina State University
Marina Mabrey University of Notre Dame
Tiana Mangakahia Syracuse University
Beatrice Mompremier University of Miami
Arike Ogunbowale University of Notre Dame
Jessica Shepard University of Notre Dame
Brianna Turner University of Notre Dame
Jackie Young University of Notre Dame

REGION 2
Name School

Chennedy Carter Texas A&M University
Sophie Cunningham University of Missouri
Rennia Davis University of Tennessee
Reyna Frost Central Michigan University
Tyasha Harris University of South Carolina
Anriel Howard Mississippi State University
Rhyne Howard University of Kentucky
Presley Hudson Central Michigan University
Darby Maggard Belmont University
Teaira McCowan Mississippi State University
Maci Morris University of Kentucky
Caliya Robinson University of Georgia

REGION 3
Name School

Kalani Brown Baylor University
Bridget Carleton Iowa State University
Napheesa Collier University of Connecticut
Lauren Cox Baylor University
Crystal Dangerfield University of Connecticut
Vivian Gray Oklahoma State University
Tynice Martin West Virginia University
Katie Lou Samuelson University of Connecticut

REGION 4
Name School

Kenisha Bell University of Minnesota
Allazia Blockton Marquette University
Kaila Charles University of Maryland
Mart’e Grays DePaul University
Megan Gustafson University of Iowa
Natisha Hiedeman Marquette University
Becca Hittner Drake University
Teniya Page Penn State University
Hallie Thome University of Michigan

REGION 5
Name School

Kristine Anigwe University of California - Berkeley
Ruthy Hebard University of Oregon
Megan Huff University of Utah
Sabrina Ionescu University of Oregon
Aari McDonald University of Arizona
Michaela Onyenwere University of California - Los Angeles
Mikayla Pivec Oregon State University
Satou Sabally University of Oregon
Destiny Slocum Oregon State University
Alanna Smith Stanford University

The selection committee uses an equation to determine an equitable number of nominees from each region. The number of NCAA Division I institutions in each region is divided by the number of NCAA Division I institutions overall to determine a percentage for each region. This percentage is then multiplied by 52 (the total number of desired finalists) to get the number of finalists for each region.
The 2019 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team will be announced Thursday, April 4, during the WBCA Convention at Amalie Arena in Tampa Bay, Florida.
Visit Past Teams - NCAA Division I to see a list of past WBCA Coaches’ All-America teams.
How does Baylor and UConn get into the same region? They are over thousand miles apart. Must be an interesting map.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How does Baylor and UConn get into the same region? They are over thousand miles apart. Must be an interesting map.
The regions are based on conference affiliation. The AAC's footprint is sprawling and does overlap with the Big 12's.

Reaction Score
Wbbfan1- - -We'll have to agree to disagree! The AP AA team is the most important Nation-wide, but both the Coaches & Writers polls hold some weight on the Husky Wall Of Honor selections!
You are disagreeing with more people than just wbbfan1. The WBCA is the determining selection.

I can see why so much stock is put is put on the WBCA. The organization is a stakeholder in NCAA women's sports. You should read on just what the WBCA is and what they do. You might be surprised.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You are disagreeing with more people than just wbbfan1. The WBCA is the determining selection.
You should read on just what the WBCA is and what they do. You might be surprised.
Why do you believe that?

Reaction Score
Why do you believe that?
I remember going thru this discussion several years ago. I believe it came up then because of the situation players like Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck found themselves in since each team was limited to only three nominations to the All American team. The consensus then was that the WBCA selection is what got the player in the Wall of Honor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I remember going thru this discussion several years ago. I believe it came up then because of the situation players like Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck found themselves in since each team was limited to only three nominations to the All American team. The consensus then was that the WBCA selection is what got the player in the Wall of Honor.
Yea, I don't believe that was the consensus. As noted above in my prior post, UCONN puts the AP, WBCA and the USBWA awards in their Media Guide. Seemingly, that's what they are looking at. However, as noted, pretty much anyone who makes the 1st team AP or USBWA (5 person) is going to make the WBCA (10 person). It is my opinion, the one that makes the most sense, that IF ever a player was on the 1st team AP or USBWA and not on the WBCA, they would still be eligible for the WOH. Of course not likely to ever happen. Even when the USBWA was a 10 person team, it never happened.

Reaction Score
Yea, I don't believe that was the consensus. As noted above in my prior post, UCONN puts the AP, WBCA and the USBWA awards in their Media Guide. Seemingly, that's what they are looking at. However, as noted, pretty much anyone who makes the 1st team AP or USBWA (5 person) is going to make the WBCA (10 person). It is my opinion, the one that makes the most sense, that IF ever a player was on the 1st team AP or USBWA and not on the WBCA, they would still be eligible for the WOH. Of course not likely to ever happen. Even when the USBWA was a 10 person team, it never happened.
you are entitled to your opinions .....

P.S. An article from 2013 by Carl Adamec .... Strother honored to be part of Huskies of Honor

The fourth paragraph:
"But an overtime loss to Duke that denied the Huskies a berth in the 2006 NCAA Final Four — a game Strother struggled mightily in — and likely cost her a spot on the WBCA All-America team, the criteria for induction."

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Can't help thinking about the 3rd team AP

Katie Lou Saumelson
Jessica Shepard
Jackie Young
Lauren Cox
Sophie Cunningham.

Anybody think they'd lose a lot of games (to anyone?)
I'd happily bet them against either of the 1st, 2 teams...AP, USBWA, whomever.

Interesting Q--there's no pure PG on that team (Though Young or Cunningham could step in and play that role).

That being said, the first and second teams are very post heavy. (First team has McCowan, Gustafson, and Collier-making Collier a 3 on that team) (Second team is Brown, Anigwe, A. Smith--making Smith the 3). I do think first team has superior backcourt:

1st team: Durr/Ionescu
2nd team: Carleton/Arike
3rd team: Young/Cunningham

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting Q--there's no pure PG on that team (Though Young or Cunningham could step in and play that role).

That being said, the first and second teams are very post heavy. (First team has McCowan, Gustafson, and Collier-making Collier a 3 on that team) (Second team is Brown, Anigwe, A. Smith--making Smith the 3). I do think first team has superior backcourt:

1st team: Durr/Ionescu
2nd team: Carleton/Arike
3rd team: Young/Cunningham

I just love the overall competitiveness of this group.
In a Geno system, Young, Cunningham, and Katie-Lou could alternate bringing up the ball.
Wouldn't matter much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom