USBWA Women's All America Team | The Boneyard

USBWA Women's All America Team

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is this a new thing? I thought the USBWA AA team was just a single 10-player team with no designation of first, second or third.

Also, I strenuously object to Durr’s exclusion from First Team.

Reaction Score
Is this a new thing? I thought the USBWA AA team was just a single 10-player team with no designation of first, second or third.

It used to be a ten member first team until last year when they split it to five members on first team and five on second team. This year, they added the third team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coaches' team still has 10 players.

Interesting list, especially vis-a-vis the AP list. This one favors Arike, Lou, Chennedy, and Kaila.

Durr and Carleton are lower.

Ok, more thoroughly:

AP:

1st: Collier, Gustafson, Ionescu, Durr, McCowan,
2nd: Arike, Brown, Anigwe, A Smith, Carleton
3rd: Young, Shepard, KLS, Cox, Cunningham

Writers:

1st: Collier, Gustafson, Ionescu, McCowan, Ogunbowale
2nd: Brown, Anigwe, Carter, Durr, Samuelson
3rd: Carleton, Cox, Cunningham, Charles, Smith

Those in this color are on different teams (or not on one team at all).

The writers pick Arike over Durr. They also jump Carter from HM to 2nd team and Charles from HM to 3rd team. They pick Lou over Carleton and Smith.

Though they move Arike up, the writers overlook Shepard and Young.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Uh, what?
The 10-player first team was a criterion for the Huskies Wall of Honor. But I don't know of any UConn player who made the 10-player 1st team who didn't also make th 10-player Coaches 1st team. I think the concern is that the shorter list shifts the WOH criterion.

Reaction Score

I don't understand how a player that was not their Conference POY can be on the list above the POY especially when they play the same position. Oh wait, it's AO so I guess it makes sense now :rolleyes: .

Reaction Score
The 10-player first team was a criterion for the Huskies Wall of Honor. But I don't know of any UConn player who made the 10-player 1st team who didn't also make th 10-player Coaches 1st team. I think the concern is that the shorter list shifts the WOH criterion.
Ok thanks but I don't see how you got that from the post that I replied to but am glad that you did.

Reaction Score
For some reason I thought that Megan Gustafson was taller than 6'3. I am more impressed with her play than before.
(But Pheesa is still the best player in the country.)

Reaction Score
So the top-vote-receiving underclassmen are Ionescu, Chennedy, Cox, K Charles

Reaction Score
Hey, people these are just opinions from people whom in many cases are no more knowledgeable than you are. This isn't brain surgery. It's actually the most simple of all the team games. Hence, the term consensus is often used in describing a player's AA status, but if a player makes even one AA team that player probably is pretty good. Also, a player's entire career should be considered in terms of AA status.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So the top-vote-receiving underclassmen are Ionescu, Chennedy, Cox, K Charles
Yep, Young did not make third team on the latest list. It's very senior-dominated, as is the AP list.

Very early pre-season NPOY list: Sabrina (in the W?), Jackie (in the W?), Carter, Cox, Charles, Dangerfield, Onyenwere, Slocum (in the W?). I'm going to add Squeaks.

Reaction Score
Yep, Young did not make third team on the latest list. It's very senior-dominated, as is the AP list.

Very early pre-season NPOY list: Sabrina (in the W?), Jackie (in the W?), Carter, Cox, Charles, Dangerfield, Onyenwere, Slocum (in the W?). I'm going to add Squeaks.
OH WOW. Didnt even notice Young wasnt there. Dont want that on the bulletin board.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hey, people these are just opinions from people whom in many cases are no more knowledgeable than you are. This isn't brain surgery. It's actually the most simple of all the team games. Hence, the term consensus is often used in describing a player's AA status, but if a player makes even one AA team that player probably is pretty good. Also, a player's entire career should be considered in terms of AA status.
In some cases, prior play influences voters, but these are intended to be single-year awards. The idea of career awards is interesting, though. Let's see, how would Maya, for example, do? Consensus/unanimous AA all 4 years, BE POY 3x, Wade Award 3x, top 2 in AP POY voting 4x, 3,036 points, 150-4 record, no losses at home, Final Four 4x, national champion 2x, then-record 90 game winning streak. I think she is the epitome of All-American.

Looking at some Huskies, note that Bria was a first-team AA her sophomore and senior years, but not her junior year. So was Kaleena, due to injury and illness. Phee was a first-team AA as a sophomore and senior as well. Lou had an off-year by her standards this year and was first-team as a sophomore and junior. Each year can be different.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NP listed at 6'3".
What's Hartley up to these days..6'5"???
Quiet as it kept Napheesa "officially" grew an inch this year on the UCONN WCBB website-from 6"1" to 6'2" I guess that's more plausible than KML who actually shrunk an inch right before her senior season.

Reaction Score
ESPN All America: 1st and 2nd teams picked by 3 or 4 people. A larger selection panel would go aways to include all conferences and mitigate prejudices.

AP All America: 1st 2nd and 3rd teams and Honorable mentions. Selected by 28 AP affiliated sports people.

USBWA All America: 1st 2nd and 3rd teams. Selected by US Basketball Writers Association.

WBCA NCAA DI Coaches' All-America Team: 10 All Americans selected. Sponsored by the NCAA . Selection to this All America team qualifies a player for the Husky Wall of Honor. I believe the underlined portion is a change. Previously coaches could only nominate three players.
From the WBCA website:
Nomination. Nominations can only be submitted by college head coaches who are members. A coach can nominate any number of players from their own team that they deem appropriate. A coach cannot nominate a player from another team.
Member Voting. Voting takes place by region only in NCAA DI, NCAA DII, NCAA DIII and NAIA divisions. Ballots containing the names of all eligible nominees are posted online. Member head coaches may vote only for nominees within their respective division/region. The players who receive the most votes in each region – the number of which is predetermined – become finalists for Coaches' All-America honors. All nominees in the two-year college division are automatically finalists for Coaches' All-America honors.
Selection. A committee composed of WBCA member coaches in each respective division selects the 10-member Coaches' All-America Team from the finalists. Those not selected receive Honorable Mention recognition.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The members of the first team may also be the first 5 taken in the WNBA draft.

The 2019 WNBA Draft will be held on Wednesday, April 10 at the Nike New York Headquarters (NYHQ). ESPN2 will air the first round beginning at 7 p.m. ET, followed by coverage of the second and third rounds on ESPNU at 8 p.m. ET. The draft will also stream live on the ESPN app. Several top draft prospects and invited guests will be on hand for WNBA Draft.

First Round Draft Order
1. Las Vegas (14-20)
2. New York (7-27)
3. Indiana (6-28)
4. Chicago (13-21)
5. Dallas (15-19)
6. Minnesota (18-16)
7. Los Angeles (19-15)
8. Phoenix (20-14)
9. Connecticut (21-13)
10. Washington (22-12)
11. Atlanta (23-11)
12. Seattle (26-8)

[Full draft order]

Reaction Score
I don't understand how a player that was not their Conference POY can be on the list above the POY especially when they play the same position. Oh wait, it's AO so I guess it makes sense now :rolleyes: .

Well I assume the CPOY is based on only those games played in conference but those games only make up approx half the total games played.

So while CPOY is a good guideline for NPOY it is not necessarily definitive.

Reaction Score
I prefer the AP over USBWA but I am just glad to see Collier belated recognition as 1st Team in both.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well I assume the CPOY is based on only those games played in conference but those games only make up approx half the total games played.

So while CPOY is a good guideline for NPOY it is not necessarily definitive.
I am only discussing this thread which is about an AA team, nothing to do with NPOYs.
And I find it hard to believe that the POY for the ACC did not play up to the same standards in nonconference games...plus it is Asia Durr.

Reaction Score
In some cases, prior play influences voters, but these are intended to be single-year awards. The idea of career awards is interesting, though. Let's see, how would Maya, for example, do? Consensus/unanimous AA all 4 years, BE POY 3x, Wade Award 3x, top 2 in AP POY voting 4x, 3,036 points, 150-4 record, no losses at home, Final Four 4x, national champion 2x, then-record 90 game winning streak. I think she is the epitome of All-American.

Looking at some Huskies, note that Bria was a first-team AA her sophomore and senior years, but not her junior year. So was Kaleena, due to injury and illness. Phee was a first-team AA as a sophomore and senior as well. Lou had an off-year by her standards this year and was first-team as a sophomore and junior. Each year can be different.
Maya is not only that but the greatest woman player in college history. That then record streak is still the longest by any starting player. She also, led the only back to back undefeated national championship teams. In UConn history she is: 1st in career total pts. & PPG; Top 10 in: 3ptFG, 3PT%, Reb., AS.,Blocks, Steals. She is 1st UConn all-time in: Season Pts. & PPG. She is only UConn player to score 40 in a game twice. However, above all that she is WCB number 1 all-time in the ultimate category which is the eye test.

BTW, as I have stated many times KLS did not have an off year. She was a victim of her own rep as a great 3pt shooter. She actually had her best all-around season with career highs in Reb, FT% & Blocks (her 3pt% still better than Durr & AO). When her incomparable team play & intangibles are factored in she was a 1st team AA again. Perhaps the coaches will agree with me. If they do she will be only the 5th UConn woman to be chosen WBCA AA 3 times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom