USAB U17 team has begun preparations for World Cup | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USAB U17 team has begun preparations for World Cup

Reaction Score
I can't tell you how much Horston reminds me of a young Tiffany Hayes. Long and lanky with a wild sort of style handling the ball that with good coaching turned into a great player.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
SB's role appears to be that of a facilitator.....they haven't needed her to be all that aggressive offensively and she doesn't seem to mind playing that role so I don't think the stats should be the only way to judge her play so far far......

Right. Near as I can tell her job was to set the occasional screen and then be available for catch-and-shoot opportunities. She did that fine. Wasn't really called upon to create shots either for herself or others.

I think what makes her appealing as a college prospect is that she is a legit 6'2 but is a passable deep shooter and good passer. You're not sacrificing frontcourt size to get extra offensive skill and spacing. The other way of going about this is the way UConn has went lately. Go ahead and sacrifice the height but make up for it with athleticism. Seems like that is how this USA team is built as well.

That's the way I see it anyway...some of y'all have watched way more of these players than I have.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Some decent floor time with Bueckers, Van Lith, Fudd, and Jones all playing together. Bueckers and Van Lith both took turns at the 1 and the 2 spots, Fudd would play the 3 and Jones was essentially the 4 with Boston in the middle.

Brink has to learn how to play defense without fouling. It was an issue at times in high school and is still plaguing her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Team USA is now in Minsk, Belarus where the U17 World Championships will be held. They'll practice and scrimmage (vs Australia and France) through Friday and the games will begin on Saturday.

USA is in Group B with China, Italy and Mali. First up will be Italy on Saturday @ 9:15 am EDT. USA next plays Mali on Sunday @ 8:30 am EDT and finishes up Group play against China on Tuesday at 11:15 am EDT. The round of 16 games will be on Wednesday and then the Quarters, Semis and Finals on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I believe the games will be available on FIBA's youtube channel.

+7 hour difference between Minsk and EDT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Team USA is now in Minsk, Belarus where the U17 World Championships will be held. They'll practice and scrimmage (vs Australia and France) through Friday and the games will begin on Saturday.

USA is in Group B with China, Italy and Mali. First up will be Italy on Saturday @ 9:15 am. USA next plays Mali on Sunday @ 8:30 and finishes up Group play against China on Tuesday at 11:15 am. The round of 16 games will be on Wednesday and then the Quarters, Semis and Finals on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

do we know who the toughest teams are? I would think maybe France, Canada and Australia .........

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Group A: Belarus, Columbia, France and Japan

Group C: Argentina, Hungary, New Zealand and Spain

Group D: Angola, Australia, Canada and Latvia.

Australia, led by Ezi Magbegor, won the U17 World Championships in 2016.

The top 5 teams from last year's qualifying European championships were: France, Hungary, Italy, Latvia and Spain. Belarus was given the final qualifying spot (over #6 Germany) because it is the host nation. That's too bad because Germany has some interesting young players. Belarus is not a good team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Carla: "Play hard, play smart, have fun."
Carla sure looks like she is having fun and definitely making an impact with this age group of kids. It may be time for her to get a high profile DI job so some of these kids can actually play for her in college. Rutgers post CViv, Stanford post Tara, UNC post Sylvia, Nova post harry...? Other possible landing spots?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Carla sure looks like she is having fun and definitely making an impact with this age group of kids. It may be time for her to get a high profile DI job so some of these kids can actually play for her in college. Rutgers post CViv, Stanford post Tara, UNC post Sylvia, Nova post harry...? Other possible landing spots?

If Northwestern does an upgrade on it's facilities, I think that would be an interesting slot for her, post Joe McKeown. Very high academic standards, like Tufts, but in a D-1 setting. Think she'd like Evanston.

And, for a "what the heck" suggestion: How about Ohio State? Doubt it would happen, but Gene Smith likes to make splashes.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score

USA is in Group B with China, Italy and Mali. First up will be Italy on Saturday @ 9:15 am EDT. USA next plays Mali on Sunday @ 8:30 am EDT and finishes up Group play against China on Tuesday at 11:15 am EDT. The round of 16 games will be on Wednesday and then the Quarters, Semis and Finals on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I believe the games will be available on FIBA's youtube channel.

Links for the first three games are already available:

LIVE - Mali v USA - FIBA U17 Women’s Basketball World Cup 2018
LIVE - China v USA - FIBA U17 Women’s Basketball World Cup 2018

The semifinals and final look like they will only be available on ESPN+, which is their new pay streaming service, although it may be possible to get a 7 day free trial for it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The semifinals and final look like they will only be available on ESPN+, which is their new pay streaming service, although it may be possible to get a 7 day free trial for it.

That would be an absolute crock. FIBA has always streamed these types of tournaments, not ESPN. Now they're going to get in on it if they can make more money.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Links for the first three games are already available:

LIVE - Mali v USA - FIBA U17 Women’s Basketball World Cup 2018
LIVE - China v USA - FIBA U17 Women’s Basketball World Cup 2018

Already did the 7 day free trial + cancel dance once. Doubt I could get away with it again. :(

If some how, ESPN+ captures more WCBB games than the pathetic ESPN3 offerings, I may have to splurge. :(:(

Reaction Score
If Northwestern does an upgrade on it's facilities, I think that would be an interesting slot for her, post Joe McKeown. Very high academic standards, like Tufts, but in a D-1 setting. Think she'd like Evanston.

And, staying in the B1G....how about Ohio State?
I only know of Carla from a bit afar.
She's seems to be a quality person, human being and coach. Her willingness and desire to stay at a Tufts, which is a wonderful university academically but surely not a powerhouse basketball wise speaks volumes of who she must be.
That leads me to think that if she is even willing to leave Tufts it would only be for a program which has excellent academic and basketball histories, and then she would be there the rest of her career, assuming she does as well as expected.
In my mind, that only leaves very, very few options. Replacing Tara at Stanford would be one real choice; maybe UNC post Sylvia; and of course she very likely would be a strong candidate to possibly return to U Conn.
Her working with this current team is huge for all of the highly skilled and developing players, but for her as well. It would further prepare her for coaching and handling so many big, big talents as evidenced by how many (or almost all) of these very young women, most of us would love to come to U Conn!
I look forward to hearing, reading and hopefully seeing parts of these coming games and a likely championship.
Bronx23

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Looking at the rosters of the top teams, it seems Spain will be the tallest: 6-3, 6-4 and 6-6.

Australia has some size, 6-2, 6-3 and 6-4, while European champ France has one player taller than 6-2 (6-4 center who averaged a double/double in the European championships).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom