USAB U17 team has begun preparations for World Cup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USAB U17 team has begun preparations for World Cup

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
USA leads after the 3rd. 80-32 on a nifty pass from Bueckers to Jones.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was just thinking that there will be some great next level superstars on the floor today

I think Carla has it exactly right with the starting 5 and the rotation off the bench.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Some interesting notes on stats.

USA for the 2nd straight game is very well balanced offensively.

Osborne again led them in scoring off the bench with 15 and 3 others with 10 including Bueckers, Jones, Taylor.

Horston with 10 rebounds and Taylor with 6 steals.

Bueckers with 6 assists and 0 TO.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Belibi better work on her foul shooting.....

Belibi is an interesting prospect to me. She often looks lost out there. I am not the coach nor was at the trials but im intrigued that she made the final roster and Rickea Jackson didnt.

Reaction Score
She misses bunnies but so did Tina when she first arrived at UConn. Geno once described Tina's shots as throwing logs on a fire. Tina developed her superb post-moves while at UConn too.

I seem to remember Geno saying that half of Tina's rebounds were off her own misses.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Some random opinions.

1. We tend to overestimate the talent because the competition is so weak. I am not sure any players on today's other team would have even made the USA team.
2. These kids are enjoying not being the focal point of the other team's defense. These are stars that are used to double teams. They are playing freely.
3. Unfortunately, I can't be objective when I watch Brunelle play.
4. Bueckers could start tomorrow for 75% of Division I teams. She does not have to score to dominate.
5. Horston is no consolation recruiting prize for the Huskies if they don't get Jones. She will be a star wherever she goes.
6. Boston's missed layups happened a bunch in the 3 on 3 tourney. The frequency is disconcerning.
7. Berube is doing a masterful job of rotating.
8. Someone needs to check Fudd's birth certificate again. No way the kid is going to be a sophomore.
9. Belibi would have been a two-year project at least if she had chosen UConn. Huge upside though.
10. I like watching Hailey Van Lith and Bueckers on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
Belibi is an interesting prospect to me. She often looks lost out there. I am not the coach nor was at the trials but im intrigued that she made the final roster and Rickea Jackson didnt.

One possible reason is that USA bases a part of it's decision on who has a shot at being a national team member down the road. Belibi may be short of skills and experience but maybe has a higher ceiling.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Boston missed 2 shots yesterday and 2 shots today.
I was referring to the 3 on 3 tourney video, some tryout video I saw and today. It was really bad in the 3 on 3 tourney. I said that it was a concern who would still be a great addition to the UConn roster.

Reaction Score

she's a very good rebounder and a big physical presence on the court

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith!!!
I think there are quite a few players on this team that are bound for stardom in college and excellent pro careers, and even a few that might become all time greats! I'm talking about Jones, Horston, Bueckers, Fudd and maybe Brink and Boston.
But I think a true point guard is irreplaceable! And I most hope Hailey Van Lith comes to U Conn and replaces CD, as the next great point guard, who can direct and guide the other stars who come!
She wouldn't be the best player amongst this superbly talented, very well coached team but she will make every one of them better!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think there are quite a few players on this team that are bound for stardom in college and excellent pro careers, and even a few that might become all time greats! I'm talking about Jones, Horston, Bueckers, Fudd and maybe Brink and Boston.
But I think a true point guard is irreplaceable! And I most hope Hailey Van Lith comes to U Conn and replaces CD, as the next great point guard, who can direct and guide the other stars who come!
She wouldn't be the best player amongst this superbly talented, very well coached team but she will make every one of them better!
Bronx23
I thought I was the only one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some random opinions.

1. We tend to overestimate the talent because the competition is so weak. I am not sure any players on today's other team would have even made the USA team.
2. These kids are enjoying not being the focal point of the other team's defense. These are stars that are used to double teams. They are playing freely.
3. Unfortunately, I can't be objective when I watch Brunelle play.
4. Bueckers could start tomorrow for 75% of Division I teams. She does not have to score to dominate.
5. Horston is no consolation recruiting prize for the Huskies if they don't get Jones. She will be a star wherever she goes.
6. Boston's missed layups happened a bunch in the 3 on 3 tourney. The frequency is disconcerning.
7. Berube is doing a masterful job of rotating.
8. Someone needs to check Fudd's birth certificate again. No way the kid is going to be a sophomore.
9. Belibi would have been a two-year project at least if she had chosen UConn. Huge upside though.
10. I like watching Hailey Van Lith and Bueckers on the floor at the same time.
4. Geno thought Bueckers could have given UConn 15 good minutes last season. She's ahead of her age.
5. Horston has a combination of size, length, skills, and quickness that may be unmatched. By anyone ever.
8. Azzi is like Mozart or Mill. She's WAY ahead of her age. Her ceiling is unknown. She may be the best player in the under-19 age range. She's 15.
10. I hope we get to see Paige and Hailey at UConn. They could be the new Bird and Taurasi.

I want the whole starting unit plus Brink and Hailey Van Lith.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
4. Geno thought Bueckers could have given UConn 15 good minutes last season. She's ahead of her age.
5. Horston has a combination of size, length, skills, and quickness that may be unmatched. By anyone ever.
8. Azzi is like Mozart or Mill. She's WAY ahead of her age. Her ceiling is unknown. She may be the best player in the under-19 age range. She's 15.
10. I hope we get to see Paige and Hailey at UConn. They could be the new Bird and Taurasi.

I want the whole starting unit plus Brink and Hailey Van Lith.
Regarding your number 10, I would add get to see them play at UConn wearing a UConn uniform; not ND, Oregon, SC, Stanford, or any other team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jones and Bueckers are super impressive.

Brink's upside is enormous.

Boston does miss some layups in general but she's so good on the boards and defensively. Really smart player.

Horston has great versatility and athleticism. Still can't figure out what position she is, but she's a player.

Van Lith isn't as advanced as Bueckers but will be really, really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom