USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged] | The Boneyard

USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged]

Reaction Score
Great to see Collier, Samuelson and Tuck on that list. But it really is sad about Mo's knee injury. Even if (read when) she fully recovers and reestablishes herself as one of the nation's elite guards, it will be hard to break into this group, as USA Basketball is fiercely loyal to existing team members.

At least it will be easier for many of us to see her play live now. A perfectly good reason to justify a trip to Vegas! :rolleyes: I plan on heading down there once or twice next summer to try to catch her in action.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So basically, the pool includes:
  • 11 of the 12 Rio Olympians (all except Catchings)
  • 5 collegians (Collier, Durr, Mitchell, Samuelson, Wilson)
  • 2 non-Olympian veterans of the 2014 World Championships (Nneka, Sims)
Will be interesting to see if all 11 of the returning Olympians are selected, and which new face(s) are selected.

I would sure like to see Nneka Ogwumike on the team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UConn Has Heavy Presence In the USA Basketball National Team Pool

These 4 here:

nat Team.jpg

And 6 more, including Phee and Katie Lou.

PS. Occurred to me what they are discussing: Sue; "It's Chris! She's looking at our jersey tucks I know it." DT: "Just don't make eye contact." Tina: "Ah heck, will it ever end!" Maya: "Oh, oh ... here she comes!"

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would sure like to see Nneka Ogwumike on the team.

Me too. She's certainly proven herself to be one of the best players in the WNBA. Some stiff competition to make the national team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
will be a nice experience for the college players but can't really see any of them making a final team (MAYBE Wilson, but only if Griner, Fowles, N. Ogwumike, Charles injured--and even then, Dolson has more experience). Really interested to see if they start grooming some younger guards--Bird/Whalen/Augustus/Taurasi can't be around for forever.

On that note, where's Vandersloot?

Reaction Score
Geez - past and present UConn players make up only 34% of the total pool, and UConn grads make up only 33% of the non-college pool for the February camp. Maybe Geno should have stayed another term :eek:

Reaction Score
will be a nice experience for the college players but can't really see any of them making a final team (MAYBE Wilson, but only if Griner, Fowles, N. Ogwumike, Charles injured--and even then, Dolson has more experience). Really interested to see if they start grooming some younger guards--Bird/Whalen/Augustus/Taurasi can't be around for forever.

On that note, where's Vandersloot?
She plays for Hungary's national team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What a horrible failure on Geno's part. Only 1/3 of the team represented by UConn? This trend can't continue. 50% or nothing!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really wonder what they will do with some of the players in the twilight of their careers. Bird, Taurasi, Augustus, McCaughtry and Whalen are all senior statesmen on the team. IMHO while Bird and Taurasi are still close to the pinnacle of their careers, Whalen and especially Augustus have slipped. McCaughtry took a year off so I'm not sure where she is talent wise.

Do they put all the older folks on the team with just a few youngsters, or put some of the elders out to pasture?

Charles, Fowles, DelleDonne, Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Grinier and Stewie are all locks IMHO. That's 8. If they take Whalen, Augustus and McCaughtry, that leaves only 1 spot. IF that's how they do it, I'd take Nneka.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plum doesn't belong on that list.

Well, honestly do any of the current collegians belong on the list? Last year Plum was as good or better than any other college player, and now she has a year in the WNBA under her belt. Never mind the current UConn players because I know most of you get defensive, but last year Plum was flat out better, easily, than either Durr or Mitchell are currently (higher scoring average w/ a much higher FG%, more assists, and incredible consistency), and neither of them have played a second in the WNBA. If you want to talk about who doesn't belong, you should probably start with that pair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom