USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged]

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I really wonder what they will do with some of the players in the twilight of their careers. Bird, Taurasi, Augustus, McCaughtry and Whalen are all senior statesmen on the team. IMHO while Bird and Taurasi are still close to the pinnacle of their careers, Whalen and especially Augustus have slipped. McCaughtry took a year off so I'm not sure where she is talent wise.

Do they put all the older folks on the team with just a few youngsters, or put some of the elders out to pasture?

Charles, Fowles, DelleDonne, Bird, Taurasi, Moore, Grinier and Stewie are all locks IMHO. That's 8. If they take Whalen, Augustus and McCaughtry, that leaves only 1 spot. IF that's how they do it, I'd take Nneka.

I definitely think they need to put several of the old guard out to pasture and start to turn over the roster. If they don't do it for the 2020 Olympics, the 2024 team is gonna be mostly comprised of Olympic rookies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, I am going to venture on over to the Death Star aks VolNation to hear what travesty's have beset the world due to the anti-Tennessee bias...If I am not back in an hour, send out the search party. :eek:

Reaction Score
IMHO while Bird and Taurasi are still close to the pinnacle of their careers, Whalen and especially Augustus have slipped. McCaughtry took a year off so I'm not sure where she is talent wise.
What happens with the old guards of the Old Guard is an interesting point of discussion.

For this Euroleague Women season, Diana Taurasi's stats are pretty bad.
2FG% - 30% - 7/23
3FG% - 18% - 5/28
PPG - 5.7
AstPG - 2
RebPG - 1

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
On that note, where's Vandersloot?

upload_2017-12-14_16-2-58.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
They're freezing her out again? Sorry, but I would not like to be the PR flack who has to explain that one. Again.
Ugh. They aren't freezing her out. Candace has declined to participate. She even sent out a petty, vindictive tweet ("Fool me once ...") to make it known to the world that she refuses to participate unless she can be guaranteed a spot.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ok, I am going to venture on over to the Death Star aks VolNation to hear what travesty's have beset the world due to the anti-Tennessee bias...If I am not back in an hour, send out the search party. :eek:

Regrettably they either have not caught on or don't care. The odds on the latter are slim to none. Some kind soul should go tell them. :oops:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ugh. They aren't freezing her out. Candace has declined to participate. She even sent out a petty, vindictive tweet ("Fool me once ...") to make it known to the world that she refuses to participate unless she can be guaranteed a spot.
Bingo. In case there was any confusion regarding who did what with regards to her not making the Olympic team, her petty attitude should put all that to rest. It wasn't Team USA or the selection committee that was the problem...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What a horrible failure on Geno's part. Only 1/3 of the team represented by UConn? This trend can't continue. 50% or nothing!

What percentage of playing time went to UCONN players?
thinking-020.gif

Reaction Score

When did she send that out? Recently?

Wow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Plum doesn't belong on that list.

I suspect she's a development participant. They want hands on evaluation. Her first year in the WNBA has not been a barn burner, but her college scoring was off the charts. WNBA 8.5 ppg in 23- minutes. APG 3.4. Half a steal per game.

Here are her WNBA stats. Some of the advanced metrics are in negative #es. Kelsey Plum WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When did she send that out? Recently?

Wow.
Early September, when the list of training camp attendees was announced. Still in her Twitter feed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Parker has also not participated in either of the past two WC campaigns only suiting up for Olympic teams. While she had reasons, I think it was also 'noticed' as other team members busted their but to be able to play in those contests.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Candace Parker is probably the most well-rounded player on the planet. I hope she is not omitted again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bingo. In case there was any confusion regarding who did what with regards to her not making the Olympic team, her petty attitude should put all that to rest. It wasn't Team USA or the selection committee that was the problem...
Candace’s omission was not because of a shortage of talent on her part. Some people seem to think that talent alone is sufficient, but USA Basketball disagreed. And the USA Basketball staff are not stupid or masochistic.

Reaction Score
Parker, McCoughtry declined USA Basketball camp invitations for different reasons, agent says

[Agent] Lelchitski said Parker’s decision not to attend camp this fall was because of that experience.

“Hell yeah she turned it down,” Lelchitski said."

So here's her agent explaining:

"Parker attended all USA Basketball training camps leading up to the 2016 Olympic team selection, but was inexplicably omitted from the final roster, despite being featured in a promotional ad. Lelchitski said Parker’s decision not to attend camp this fall was because of that experience. “Hell yeah she turned it down,” Lelchitski said."

So it's because of her anger and bitterness at being left off the Olympic team. That's understandable. So she isn't just refusing to show up. She's seriously pissed off at being left out of the Olympics, a decision that USA Basketball refuses to explain.

USA Basketball is the one looking bad here. Hands down.

Reaction Score
She's not a 3-pt. shooter. I think that really holds her back at her height. Really at any height given that you have players like Delle Donne and Stewart shooting 3s.

I had that thought. But i think her all-around game would be even better in international rules, but you are probably right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom