USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USAB National Team Pool for 2018 World Cup [merged]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
So it's because of her anger and bitterness at being left off the Olympic team. That's understandable. So she isn't just refusing to show up. She's seriously pissed off at being left out of the Olympics, a decision that USA Basketball refuses to explain.

USA Basketball is the one looking bad here. Hands down.

Yes, she *is* refusing to show up to the training camps and to make herself available for selection.

USA Basketball cannot publicly explain their reasons for not selecting individual players. Surely you can understand that.

After the disappointment of not being selected for 2016, Candace had a choice to make. She could either: (a) let her selfish, petty bitterness take over; or (b) learn from the experience, put on her big-girl britches, and trust the process. The fact that she chose (a) makes me suspect that the committee had good reason to pass her over for someone less self-centered.

I'd say USA Basketball looks pretty darn good. Rio was the most dominant Olympic performance yet, and the team had every bit as good a chemistry as the 1996 Olympic team that spent an entire year training together.

Plebe

Reaction Score
She's seriously pissed off at being left out of the Olympics, a decision that USA Basketball refuses to explain.

USA Basketball almost certainly explained the decision privately, or at least offered to do so. This quote from committee chair Carol Callan says as much:

"We generally don't talk about players that aren't here because there's a variety of reasons why they aren't," Callan said. "She's one of them. We choose not to try to speak for them. I would simply suggest you ask her. Candace has been an important part of our program over the years, and we talked about the decision when she didn't make the Olympic roster. I don't want to speak for her or try to verbalize."​

Last edited:

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Rewatch the London games...She actually was good enough to keep both teams in the game...;)

Reaction Score
So here's her agent explaining:

"Parker attended all USA Basketball training camps leading up to the 2016 Olympic team selection, but was inexplicably omitted from the final roster, despite being featured in a promotional ad. Lelchitski said Parker’s decision not to attend camp this fall was because of that experience. “Hell yeah she turned it down,” Lelchitski said."

So it's because of her anger and bitterness at being left off the Olympic team. That's understandable. So she isn't just refusing to show up. She's seriously pissed off at being left out of the Olympics, a decision that USA Basketball refuses to explain.

USA Basketball is the one looking bad here. Hands down.

I thought in 2016 she should have made the team. Argued the point (not just me pro-Parker and not just a few who were okay with her not being on) with many on here- it was back-and-forth. But when she refused now to join the tryouts-- there is no reason to select her to the team. Right or wrong - it's an honor to play - not a right. No one player is above the game or above the team. While to a certain level I don't blame her anger - but the moment she actively made it personal- there is no reason for her to be selected. When you put "TEAM USA" jersey on- you represent USA and the team. If she is bitter - there is no room for that on a team in which representation is also an honor. For Team USA- they are not bound to select JUST the most talented players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Where's Diamond?

serious.jpg

Reaction Score
KLS, Collier, and Dangerous will be in LA2028, so I’m not worried :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Where's Diamond?

Wait, I thought Tennessee was much better off without her this year (according to Vol fans). Why would she be invited to try out for the National Team?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Wait, I thought Tennessee was much better off without her this year (according to Vol fans). Why would she be invited to try out for the National Team?
She has played on USA teams before. She certainly has the talent.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She has played on USA teams before. She certainly has the talent.
Let me interject-“had” the talent. When competing on younger teams from an age group pool vs. an open pool, she was a talented player but as her game did not improve, she has not been a part of a national team for 3 years. I have stuck up for the young lady (yes she is still young at 21/22) but I do think she has let opportunity pass her by. BTW what are her Euro stats looking like? I haven’t heard nary a word about her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Let me interject-“had” the talent. When competing on younger teams from an age group pool vs. an open pool, she was a talented player but as her game did not improve, she has not been a part of a national team for 3 years. I have stuck up for the young lady (yes she is still young at 21/22) but I do think she has let opportunity pass her by. BTW what are her Euro stats looking like? I haven’t heard nary a word about her.
I doubt she has lost any talent. I know she went to Turkey. I haven't found anything on the team.

Reaction Score
The main issue I have is the fact that Chelsea Gray was left out. I think she’s more than deserving. I also have an issue with any college players being allowed to participate in general. I think until you’ve proven your abilities at the highest level (I.e. the WNBA) you shouldn’t be able to make the team over other players who have paid their dues and proven their worth in the professional ranks. Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I also have an issue with any college players being allowed to participate in general. I think until you’ve proven your abilities at the highest level (I.e. the WNBA) you shouldn’t be able to make the team over other players who have paid their dues and proven their worth in the professional ranks. Just my opinion.
Except the youngsters are not allowed in participating in WNBA! So they are invited to the training camp to show themselves on the the same stage as the veterans.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Except the youngsters are not allowed in participating in WNBA! So they are invited to the training camp to show themselves in the the same stage as the veterans.

Some folks have no idea how to continue to build for the future by introducing college players to the process and exposing them to professionals and their preparation.

Reaction Score
The main issue I have is the fact that Chelsea Gray was left out. I think she’s more than deserving. I also have an issue with any college players being allowed to participate in general. I think until you’ve proven your abilities at the highest level (I.e. the WNBA) you shouldn’t be able to make the team over other players who have paid their dues and proven their worth in the professional ranks. Just my opinion.

Few college players make the National team. There is a tradition of selecting one college player - DT, Moore and Stewart are among the lucky ones. I believe Parker was there in 2008. Most college players are here for training and to rub shoulders with WNBA stars.

When you say that you have an issue with any college player being allowed to participate, I hope you are not grumbling because two UConn players have been selected and no Теннесси player has been considered worthy of the honor. As far as I can remember, no Теннесси player has merited the accolade (the national team training camp; not the age-group limited camps or equivalent) for nearly a decade. I also consider objections to including college players in the camp shortsighted, petty and sordid. Just my opinion.

Your penultimate sentence has nothing to do with the selection of college players for the training camp. The USABL does not chose college players over WNBA players for the national team barring the tradition I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
WHAT?! No Mechelle Voepel snit fit about no Parker?!
Mechelle has already tweeted specifically about Parker not being on the team.

She's pretending not to have noticed Parker's earlier tweet that made it clear it was Parker's decision.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The final training camp roster for the camp will be released later as some of the pros playing in Asia, such as Stewart, Fowles, and Lloyd, won’t be participating. Also the 5 collegiate players will be in the middle of their seasons so they likely won’t be there either so I assume there will be some added invitees or else hold camp with a reduced roster. A’ja Wilson will only be there as an observer.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
MShe's pretending not to have noticed Parker's earlier tweet that made it clear it was Parker's decision.

It was the smart move. This way she avoids the embarrassment of being left off the team for a second time.

Reaction Score
So based on the list, here's my team, you get to pick 12 I think: Sue, Tina, Griner, Collier, Stef, Tuck, Stewie, Delle Donne, KLS, DT, Maya, and Tiff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom