USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A quick athletic team. However, no Collier or Prince puts a lot of pressure on Hebard to hold down the middle. We'll see how this team deals with the size and physicality some of their opponents will field.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams made the team.

Other team members:

Bella Alarie
Jeannie Boehm
Chennedy Carter
Tyasha Harris
Ruthy Hebard
Joyner Holmes
Kayla Overbeck
Reili Richardson
Alecia Sutton
I had no doubt that Crystal would make the team. I was hoping that Shug Dickson would too. She's a tough, little player who has impressed me when we played Tulsa. She has no fear of UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams made the team.

Other team members:

Bella Alarie
Jeannie Boehm
Chennedy Carter
Tyasha Harris
Ruthy Hebard
Joyner Holmes
Kayla Overbeck
Reili Richardson
Alecia Sutton
Thanks Cat! What a great representation for UCONN players and targets. I'm disappointed for Charli and Mikayla, but I'm sure it was a great experience for them to try out against some of the best and see what they did well vs. what needs work.

Christyn Williams - WOW!! And great chance for her to play with (hopefully) future UCONN teammates!

Reaction Score
A quick athletic team. However, no Collier or Prince puts a lot of pressure on Hebard to hold down the middle. We'll see how this team deals with the size and physicality some of their opponents will field.

Bella Alarie and Jeannie Boehm should give team USA good size, Boehm could even start. I'm surprised Alecia Sutton made the team, she didn't play a lot of minutes for Texas last year, so maybe she's almost 100% and if she is close tho 100% it should add another dimension to Texas next year. Congrats to all that made the team

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
https://www.sny.tv/UConn/news/dangerfield-walker-named-to-usa-u-19-team/231567230

It doesn't load. That is the article address, but I had to drill into the SNY site to get it. Here is a little of it.

"Dangerfield said she enjoyed her time with Walker and Coombs -- who was her roommate in Colorado -- and looked forward to reuniting in Storrs next weekend.

"It was great being around them and having the chance to play them here," Dangerfield said. "Megan played very well during the trials, I'm looking forward to playing with her, and congratulations to her. But I feel for Mikayla. She was really good and did the things she needed to do. It's tough. I've been there. I'll talk to her when we get to school and I hope it doesn't get her down."

Reaction Score
I had no doubt that Crystal would make the team. I was hoping that Shug Dickson would too. She's a tough, little player who has impressed me when we played Tulsa. She has no fear of UConn.

Wait a minute. They put on the team two kids from Princeton and Harvard? Boehm made no impact last year. Never heard of the Princeton kid. Is this another example of strange choices by USA Basketball that will result in yet further underperformance?

Sorry, but Coombs doesn't make it? Sounds fishy to me.

Sure hope they win the gold....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wait a minute. They put on the team two kids from Princeton and Harvard? Boehm made no impact last year. Never heard of the Princeton kid. Is this another example of strange choices by USA Basketball that will result in yet further underperformance?

Are you addressing this to me? I question a few of the choices too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
More like general musing.

Are these really the best U-19 players around?
Keep in mind that they are looking for the best team of 12, not the 12 best players. I don't know this group well enough, and I didn't watch any of the streaming video, but a few choices surprised me, including Mikayla getting cut.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You never heard of the "Princeton kid" and Boehm had no impact at Harvard but it sounds "fishy" that college players made the team over a HS player?
BTW Boehm played pretty well last time she laced them up for USA basketball and her name is Bella Alarie-Ivy league Freshmen of the Year.

Reaction Score
I caught a glimpse of the live stream that took place during two scrimmages for the trials. Several players stood out to me and several didn't. It seemed like Joyner Holmes, Megan Walker, Chennedy Carter, Ty Harris, Crystal Dangerfield, and Ruthy Hebard were the most comfortable out of all the players. They played relaxed and under control and made good decisions. the rest seemed like they were going through the trials for the first time but USA has certain roles required for this team. Christyn Williams was not a surprise for making the team, despite being the youngest she clearly proved she belonged. She was diving for loose balls, knocking down 3's, getting steals and communicating on both ends of the floor. Coombs played well throughout the trials I'm pretty sure she should have made it over Sutton but I guess the committee saw something I didn't. Reili Richardson is a sleeper. plays PG for ASU but has range and lit the building up from behind the arc. Bella Alarie moves very well for a 6'4'' post player. She also has good range and ball handling ability. the surprise though was Kayla Overbeck making the team. she is a 6'1'' forward for Vanderbilt and is tough and hardnosed as they come , I just didn't think her lack of height and underdeveloped skill set would put her through. We'll see if she can have an impact in any way. Westbrook not making the team was a shock as well. She will be playing the PG position next year in Knoxville. She was VERY uncomfortable playing off the ball. she seems to like to have the ball in her hands and make plays for others. She had tough competition to beat out at the PG position with two college experienced PG making the team.

Reaction Score
Choosing a team based a few days of play is always a dangerous thing.......I would have thought it better to have a series of tryouts for a more limited group of players would be the best way to go but I guess the expense and time involved make that difficult........those in charge definitely left some of the most dynamic players off the team

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I question a few of the choices too.
Just curious as to which choices you would question.

For Alarie (Princeton) , Overbeck (Vandy), Richardson (ASU), & Sutton (Texas) this is their first time making a USA basketball team. Richardson & Sutton have tried out previously and not made USA team but it looks like
Alarie & Overbeck must have been putting in major work to make this squad as first timers. See @SCspur post.
None of the post players from the 2016 U17 team made this squad. 3 (Bailey, C. Collier, & Prince) tried out, Nelson-Ododa did not try out due to injury & Brunelle looks like she is going to be the centerpiece of the U17 squad.
Only 1 player (C. Williams) from the 2016 U17 made this squad. Keep in mind that 2016 U17 team did not win gold and the post play was not stellar. Bailey was the best post player and Nelson-Ododa did most of her damage in transition, slashing from the wing, or on put backs where she was taller than everyone else.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Choosing a team based a few days of play is always a dangerous thing..I would have thought it better to have a series of tryouts for a more limited group of players would be the best way to go but I guess the expense and time involved make that difficult...those in charge definitely left some of the most dynamic players off the team
The same can be said of any USA basketball team, including the selection of the National team. Not intending to start a controversy so I'll just throw you a couple of initials NO and CP.
Dynamic players are always going to be left off these USA teams, Moriah Jefferson did not make USA basketball team until she was 18.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How does one(any poster) decide who should be on the team if they did not see the action of the trials?
Great point and just as a reminder there are some very credible people making these decisions including Kara Lawson, Jen Rizzoti, Catch, Tonya Cardoza Katie Smith, ...Ruthie Bolton, & Kevin Lynch is a great guy.
USA Team Selection Committees In Place For 2017-20

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You never heard of the "Princeton kid" and Boehm had no impact at Harvard but it sounds "fishy" that college players made the team over a HS player?
BTW Boehm played pretty well last time she laced them up for USA basketball and her name is Bella Alarie-Ivy league Freshmen of the Year.
For Triad--Bella's father is former Duke star and 2-time All-ACC player Mark Alarie.

Mark Alarie - Wikipedia

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
For Triad--Bella's father is former Duke star and 2-time All-ACC player Mark Alarie.
Mark Alarie - Wikipedia

Bella Alarie's mother, also a Duke grad and Vanderbilt law grad, currently serves as Special Assistant and Senior Associate to the President of the United States.
Some people wonder why many Duke Alumni get frustrated with Coach JPM. This is a good example:

Mark Alarie quietly hoped his alma mater, Duke, would get involved considering he took Bella to the school’s basketball camp every summer as she grew up.
“But we haven’t even gotten a letter,” he said, not hiding his disappointment after a recent National Cathedral game.

National Cathedral’s Isabella Alarie grows out of father’s shadow

Reaction Score
Bella Alarie looks more like a strech 4 then a true post. She has a very unique skill set, almost looks like Delle Donne
#31 in white.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Overbeck and Boehm over Charli Collier?
All day & twice on Sundays! A year of college experience vs High school BB is the biggest discriminator.
Overbeck is really a SF at 6'1" averaged 9.4 ppg. and 7.2 rpg. and shot 51.8 percent from the field last year playing in the SEC.
Boehm 2.43 blocked shots per game ranked 25th nationally and second among NCAA Division I freshmen. As I also mentioned before Boehm was a big contributor on 2016 U18 team that won gold. Collier played limited minutes on 2016 U17 team that won Bronze.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom