USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The separator in the trials was clearly experience.. for the most part, the selection committee went with players that are more experienced. There are a few outliers with players that are exceptionally talented but overall, college experience at the highest level was viewed favorably by the committee. A lot of these players are freshmen and have already proven themselves to be very good players at the college level, so to see them make the team over "elite" high school players is not a surprise.. those high school players, as good as they are, haven't proven anything yet.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Overbeck and Boehm over Charli Collier?

Many people in Texas don't think that Collier is even the best HS player in Texas, so I'm not sure why the great surprise that a couple of college players would beat her out for a spot on the team.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Many people in Texas don't think that Collier is even the best HS player in Texas, so I'm not sure why the great surprise that a couple of college players would be her out for a spot on the team.

Who do the locals think is the best player in Texas?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The separator in the trials was clearly experience.. for the most part, the selection committee went with players that are more experienced. There are a few outliers with players that are exceptionally talented but overall, college experience at the highest level was viewed favorably by the committee. A lot of these players are freshmen and have already proven themselves to be very good players at the college level, so to see them make the team over "elite" high school players is not a surprise.. those high school players, as good as they are, haven't proven anything yet.
I say there was really only 1 outlier=17 year old C. Williams.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who do the locals think is the best player in Texas?

Baylor signee Alexis Morris was the POY in the state of Texas last season. Many believe Na'Lyssa Smith to be the best "big" to come out of Texas since Griner.

And I think Smith will come down to Baylor and SC as her final schools. Damn that Dawn Staley!

Reaction Score
Overbeck and Boehm over Charli Collier?
Just maybe they outplayed her head to head during the tryout. That would do it. Collier may still be playing at a HS pace and speed which is what she looked like last summer in the U17 tourney.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In 2013 USA Basketball selected 6 college players, 4 rising college freshmen (Coffey, Plum, Green and Harper) and 2 rising High School seniors (Turner and Wilson). 6, 4 and 2.

In 2015 USA Basketball selected 6 college players, 3 rising college freshmen (Napheesa, Anigwe and Patberg) and 3 rising High School Seniors (Cox, Dangerfield and Slocum). Remember that Lou was replaced at the last minute by Slocum so the initial numbers were 6, 4 and 2.

In 2017, USA Basketball Selected 9 college players, 2 rising college freshmen (Walker and Carter) and 1 rising High School Senior (Williams). 9, 2 and 1.

USA Basketball decided to go with more experienced players at this year's world championships.

Reaction Score
Had Turner gone to UConn should would currently be the player of the century.
Sarcasm aside, IF she had gone to UConn she most certainly would have developed into a much better player, perhaps not the player of the century. Notre Dame has had some nice teams (only one NC) but that's due to recruiting, certainly NOT player development. As for Baylor, with the physical most dominant player in WCBB history, they managed to win one (1) NC.

Reaction Score
Baylor signee Alexis Morris was the POY in the state of Texas last season. Many believe Na'Lyssa Smith to be the best "big" to come out of Texas since Griner.

And I think Smith will come down to Baylor and SC as her final schools. Damn that Dawn Staley!

Smith is a bit more athletic and at 6'2"-6'3" most view her as a forward not a true center........Collier may be more dominant in the end......I've only seen video from this past season but Collier has made big strides especially at the offensive end plus she has shed her baby fat and can now really run the floor about as well as any 6'5" high school post can

Reaction Score
Some of the same stuff that was said about Turner.

I expect Collier to be just as dominant as Turner if not more so during her four years at UConn.....based purely on her athleticism she should be the most dominant two way post player the school has had since Tina Charles but only time will tell

Reaction Score
Smith and Collier are immensely talented. Both are listed as Forwards on all the recruiting sites while Charli is the #1 forward and Smith ranks at #2, they both have different skill sets. Collier has improved her range out to the 3 point line but she's more of a banger down low. She reminds me of an athletic version of Stef Dolson. She's going to be a big time screener and tough to defend in the pick and roll at UCONN

Smith on the other hand is more versatile. She's another Point Forward who can grab defensive rebounds and lead the break for a layup or good pass. She has the speed and athleticism to guard any posistion on the floor. She's 6'4" with ball handling ability and can shoot the 3 with ease. Her skill set is very similar to Joyner Holmes and A'ja Wilson, big but comfortable on the perimeter and has nice touch around the rim.

Both Collier and Smith are BIG TIME recruits and they both will be next generation stars at the College level. Who's better? Not sure, I've only seen them play separately and never agaisnt each other but I'm pretty sure it neck and neck whether whose the best power forward in the class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams made the team.
Other team members:
Bella Alarie
Jeannie Boehm
Chennedy Carter
Tyasha Harris
Ruthy Hebard
Joyner Holmes
Kayla Overbeck
Reili Richardson
Alecia Sutton
Note to BYers: This posting (U19 team announcement) appeared here 3.5 hours before it hit the USA basketball web site.
Note to self: Find something better to do.
Note to @Carnac : You need to seriously step up your game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Collier has improved her range out to the 3 point line but she's more of a banger down low. She reminds me of an athletic version of Stef Dolson. She's going to be a big time screener and tough to defend in the pick and roll at UConn

Collier has long been known for her proclivity to make outside shots, even to the point where those watching her thought she fell in love with them too much. Only seen a few of her games but I wouldn't characterize her as a banger. She's got a lot of finesse to her game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Collier has long been known for her proclivity to make outside shots, even to the point where those watching her thought she fell in love with them too much. Only seen a few of her games but I wouldn't characterize her as a banger. She's got a lot of finesse to her game.
I would agree-she's no banger. The most advanced part of Collier's game is her footwork in the post. Remarkable for HS players and will become unstoppable once CD gets a hold of her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All UConn targets and players save for Dangerfield represented here:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member