USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names | The Boneyard

USA19U tryouts start Thursday...key names

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Invitees Announced For Women's U19 World Cup Team

Of the 33 women trying out for the 19U team starting on May 18 just 3 are rising seniors in high school. I wonder if any of the 3 will make the team...Janelle Bailey, our own Charli Collier and UConn target Christyn Williams. Just being there competing against kids one and two years older should be great learning experience for them. Of course Megan Walker, Mikayla Coombs and Crystal will be there as well.

The USABasketball website usually does a good job of keeping us informed...their Sunday May 21 selections should be fascinating.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that the majority of the team is made up with players that just finished their Freshmen year and played significant minutes on their College Teams. Yes, there needs to be a couple of Elite players that will be entering college this year or possibly their Senior Year in High School. To beat Spain and/or Australia for the Gold Medal this team needs to have experienced players that are used to Elite Competition. To me that means a team mostly made up of College Players.

Will be interesting to see if Crystal is able to make the team. Hopefully she will.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that the majority of the team is made up with players that just finished their Freshmen year and played significant minutes on their College Teams. Yes, there needs to be a couple of Elite players that will be entering college this year or possibly their Senior Year in High School. To beat Spain and/or Australia for the Gold Medal this team needs to have experienced players that are used to Elite Competition. To me that means a team mostly made up of College Players.

Will be interesting to see if Crystal is able to make the team. Hopefully she will.

I think it's highly probable that she will. None of the other PGs really stand a chance with her and Harris. Last year at the U18 trials it was said that she and Harris clearly was the best of the pg group. They also will have the most experince, crystal playing with UCONN, and Harris playing with SC and leading the team to a nat'l championship. I think the team will be stacked with experienced College Freshman and sprinkled in with the best High School prospects (Walker, Westbrook, C.Collier, and Willliams).

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How many will be on the final roster?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I bet the Sunday May 21 list will have 15. They would all come to the Olympic Center about a week before the competition for a last look before the cut to 12...
and that would avoid a last minute scramble if there is an injury.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I bet the Sunday May 21 list will have 15. They would all come to the Olympic Center about a week before the competition for a last look before the cut to 12...
and that would avoid a last minute scramble if there is an injury.
I suspect it will be 12 on May 21 with perhaps one or two alternates named. That is the typical process. With the college players (and starting freshman) already done with competition basketball the chances of a selected player being injured is unlikely except for HS kids playing AAU. (The incoming freshman will be arriving on campus for summer school in 10-15 days and have played their last AAU games one assumes.)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Going out on limb here (Not really) to predict the 12 Woman team for U19 will be.
  1. Boehm (F)
  2. Carter (G)
  3. Collier (F/C)
  4. Cooks (F)
  5. Dangerfield (G)
  6. Harris (G)
  7. Holmes (F)
  8. Shook (F)
  9. Prince (C)
  10. Walker (G/F)
  11. Westbrook (G)
  12. C. Williams (G)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You can watch the trials online. Signup with Facebook account or an email account:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Fuller piece on Christyn Williams:

UConn guard Crystal Dangerfield is in Colorado as are signees Mikayla Coombs and Megan Walker and Class of 2018 UConn commit Charli Collier.

"A lot of the girls will be there on my official visits so when I get on campus, I will know them already," Williams said. "It's been pretty cool being able to play with them to see how we play together."

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd like to think we have the edge in Williams recruitment, but you just never know. The endorsement of Geno and the UConn system player is so strong at the next level it would seem a no brainer basketball wise.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield, Megan Walker and Christyn Williams made the team.

Other team members:

Bella Alarie
Jeannie Boehm
Chennedy Carter
Tyasha Harris
Ruthy Hebard
Joyner Holmes
Kayla Overbeck
Reili Richardson
Alecia Sutton

Online statistics

Members online