USA vs. Croatia on right now (11:00 AM EST) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USA vs. Croatia on right now (11:00 AM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There are games when Maya is 'feeling it' and hits those fairly well, but when it's a game like this, you're in for a few, then out, I think she should look for gaps more and just take more bread & butter shots.

Angel seems to be putting up an awful lot of shots as well, but that coast to coast layup was pretty sweet....
It also seems that Siemone has never seen a shot that she didn't like, whether it was a good idea or not.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Doggone it!!! I missed it also. Was out sealing my driveway. Sounded like fun to finally watch a game actually being called by the announcers .... even if it was in Turkish. Box score anywhere?

Reaction Score
It also seems that Siemone has never seen a shot that she didn't like, whether it was a good idea or not.

Siemone is capable of such brilliant play, that it seems strange when she doesn't make those shots...check out her WNBA shooting percentages...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Siemone is capable of such brilliant play, that it seems strange when she doesn't make those shots...check out her WNBA shooting percentages...
I believe you. But she was 5-13 today and some of those shots were, IMO, ill-advised.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I believe you. But she was 5-13 today and some of those shots were, IMO, ill-advised.
Siemone and Angel both. I wonder how far Geno will go in stressing or strongly encouraging them to play more team oriented offense...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Siemone and Angel both. I wonder how far Geno will go in stressing or strongly encouraging them to play more team oriented offense...
I think that Seimone and Angel have the same issue. They are über talented and have grown accustomed to being the primary scoring threat over many years. A low percentage shot by them may be better than a higher percentage shot from their teammates--but not on this squad. There is room for improvement in terms of efficiency.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Fowles' offensive efficiency is quite impressive, as is Maya's rebounding, although her shooting was off a bit.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think that Seimone and Angel have the same issue. They are über talented and have grown accustomed to being the primary scoring threat over many years. A low percentage shot by them may be better than a higher percentage shot from their teammates--but not on this squad. There is room for improvement in terms of efficiency.
Hard to argue with your points, HOWEVER, I think Geno has to be pretty pleased with the progress. The offensive flow in this game was generally much better IMO. Excellent FG%, dominant on the boards, better passes into the post, fewer TO's. Yes, Croatia is not nearly as good as Brazil, or even GB, but I still think USA really showed some progress in this game.

As for Seimone and Angel's shot selection, my guess is that Geno was not terribly bothered by it. I think he wants all his players to take open shots, even if there is a better shot available later in the possession. Why? Because he wants more possessions and more shots in total. That strategy might change vs. Australia, or Russia, but those opponents are weeks away, and I don't think a strategy change will be too difficult to implement with this team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hugely balanced scoring attack - 9 players with 8 points or more even tho "only" 4 scored in double figures. POG honors IMHO to Fowles - 15 points and 5 boards in 14 minutes. Easily the most efficient and most points per minute of any player...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hugely balanced scoring attack - 9 players with 8 points or more even tho "only" 4 scored in double figures. POG honors IMHO to Fowles - 15 points and 5 boards in 14 minutes. Easily the most efficient and most points per minute of any player...

Agreed. I guess she's no longer in danger of being the Olympic problem child. :D

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
This was the first game I have been able to get away to watch, and I thought the players were meshing surprisingly well. Some of you spoke about a lack of energy in the first two games, but I couldn't see it in this particular game. I think some of them may have had jet lag in the earlier games....that can really be tough in the first few days. I find I never know when it's going to hit, then bam, like a wave.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
PS Too bad about Maya getting that great chance to run the court and then she misses the bunny. Bet she is beating on herself for that one. :)

Reaction Score
Her recognition of the totality of the floor and the movment of the game is simply incredible. She moves to spots and breaks on balls before the opponents even know they are going to make that pass.
I'm realizing once again how lucky we were to have Maya for four years.

Reaction Score

Have to agree...ugly stat line. Really haven't seen her do that much with the Lynx...she really let's the team score more than she probably should. Her competitive juices must be flowing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom