USA Coaches Poll 2017-18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USA Coaches Poll 2017-18

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Pretty good list at first glance. Glad they didn't overhype Ohio State or Tennessee.

Baylor seems a bit high at 3 considering their losses, but at this point it's hard to put many teams ahead of them. With the exception of UCONN and UCLA, the success of many teams will be in the hands of freshmen or transfers. Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, Texas, and Mississippi State will have inexperience or new players in vital roles. How they step up will have a major impact on their team's success.

Reaction Score
Missouri will be a top 10 in my my opinion. They return their top 3 scorers from last year all averaged at least 12.7 points or better. They also get Jordan Frericks back. They supporting cast they have is good.

Notre Dame is high because they have no experienced post player besides Koko Nelson. It will be tough for this team to stay in that spot.

I think Stanford will be higher, Tara Vanderveer always overachieves.

I like Tennessee where they are at so it can give them a chance to prove they can be a top team. Higher rankings have put them at pressure to perform better and they haven’t. It’s just so much has happened since Candace Parker graduated and they haven’t been able to recover yet. I just want to see them get back to respectable Pat Summitt basketball.

I like Texas A&M; definitely a top 25 team. I can’t wait to see Cheney’s Carter and how Hillsman and Williams have improved. Gary Blair can coach this team in top 25 easily.

I think Kentucky will be in the top 25 as well because Matthew Mitchell proved he can coach last year when all of his players fled and went elsewhere. I think the addition Linn Dunn has a lot to do with the record they had last year as well.

I don’t know how I feel about Ohio State. They have a lot of experienced players, but they are not a pass first team. They don’t share the ball enough to beat teams they could beat.

Reaction Score
Missouri will be a top 10 in my my opinion. They return their top 3 scorers from last year all averaged at least 12.7 points or better. They also get Jordan Frericks back. They supporting cast they have is good.

Notre Dame is high because they have no experienced post player besides Koko Nelson. It will be tough for this team to stay in that spot.

I think Stanford will be higher, Tara Vanderveer always overachieves.

I like Tennessee where they are at so it can give them a chance to prove they can be a top team. Higher rankings have put them at pressure to perform better and they haven’t. It’s just so much has happened since Candace Parker graduated and they haven’t been able to recover yet. I just want to see them get back to respectable Pat Summitt basketball.

I like Texas A&M; definitely a top 25 team. I can’t wait to see Cheney’s Carter and how Hillsman and Williams have improved. Gary Blair can coach this team in top 25 easily.

I think Kentucky will be in the top 25 as well because Matthew Mitchell proved he can coach last year when all of his players fled and went elsewhere. I think the addition Linn Dunn has a lot to do with the record they had last year as well.

I don’t know how I feel about Ohio State. They have a lot of experienced players, but they are not a pass first team. They don’t share the ball enough to beat teams they could beat.
Just another note on Ohio State. They have no post depth whatsoever.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Although I will root for all of the Pac12 teams to do well(except Nov 12 v UConn and Nov 21st in Westood), my prediction is that Stanford will never be higher than their pre season ranking of #9. They lost 3 players Karlie, Bird and Bri Roberson who were as solid as they came for The Cardinal. I do not like the rest of the line up. The pg Sneizek, does not like to shoot. Now she doesnt have Karlie outside and Bird inside. Defenses will drop off her and clog the paint, making it tougher for McPhee to drive for baskets or Smith to get the ball. Stanford lost 1250+ points and over 500 rebounds. If the core players for them are Sniezek, McPhee and Smith they will not be that good. Nearly everyone else returning has nominal experience, as a regular or semi regular. Stanford has a chance to lose 5 games before New Years day, tOSU, UConn Baylor, Tenn and UCLA(only Tenn is a home game).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I need to remind myself every year that after about 5 teams there isn't much to talk about. The drop off in quality is so severe beyond the top 5 or so that it is of little importance where teams are ranked. In the men's game, upsets are expected; in the women's not so much. We just need to win out and let the others worry about their rankings.

A few year ago I would've agreed with you. However w/ Washington, Oregon St., Syracuse and Mississippi St. making it to the Final 4 the last 2 years and Baylor and Notre Dame both missing the last weekend both years, I think the paradigm has shifted.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, Washington at #25? What the hell? Do the voters all think Plum and Osahor are back this year? They were picked to finish last in the Pac 12. Somebody has not been paying attention. Gonzaga might be the best team in Washington, if not them then it's Washington St. Huskies are at best the 3rd best team in the state.

Cal at #24 isn't nearly as much of a stretch. At least they have a great player in Anigwe to build around and I think they bring back almost everybody from last year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ochoopsfan, I'm much higher on Stanford's group of 4 veteran returning players than you are. I think they'll get solid contributions from those 4 and enough from some of the Fr. and Sophs to stay near the top of the conference. I know Oregon is a trendy pick but I think the Pac is going to come down to Stanford and UCLA.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would move Notre Dame down 1 or 2 spots, and move Stanford up 1 spot.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
USC is not ranked. Neither is Ohio nor Mississippi. Not sure what you guys are looking at.

The University of South Carolina (USC) was in existence long before either California was a state or Southern Cal was founded.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
LOL, we'll settle that on the court in early December.

Well we swept the Big Carolinas last year... we didnt get to face East Carolina, Western Carolina, or Coastal Carolina

Reaction Score
The three teams who make the biggest moves up from the 2017 end of season poll are Missouri +19, Marquette +15, & Tennessee +14. Marquette is returning 4 starters and coming off a Big east tournament title they are being picked to replace DePaul at the top of the Big East. The other 2 teams are a bit of a puzzle when trying to understand why they are expected to improve so much over last year. Missouri has lost 3 of their starters and while they get back Frericks I'm at a loss to explain the optimism. Tennessee not only lost three starters but also lost their projected starter at pg. They may be starting 3 freshmen at the 1,2 & 3 positions. Last year their strength was said to be DeShields and their experienced backcourt. I guess the writers have bought into the sudden reassessment of DeShields as a poisonous influence. Time will tell.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The University of South Carolina (USC) was in existence long before either California was a state or Southern Cal was founded.

Just let this go. It’s not worth it.

Prefer not to see a 5 page debate on this.

Reaction Score
I know Oregon is a trendy pick but I think the Pac is going to come down to Stanford and UCLA.

I don't agree. UCLA has had the talent for a few years now and has always underachieved. I don't think this year will be different. In respect to Oregon sure they have everyone of worth returning but I wasn't that high on them ( due to their lack of depth) until I discovered who else they were adding this year. Not only do they have a strong incoming Freshman class, but they get back back a talented 6'6" soph forward who broke her wrist early and had to red shirt last year. Add 6'4" Satou Sabally who's versatility and talent will surprise a lot of people. Add those to the other quality Freshman coming in and they will have the quality depth they lacked last season. The best cure for inconsistency is depth.

As to the coaches polls, I never thought most coaches were even as capable as some of the more informed fans are. Fans have the time to follow and research other teams. They spend time on web sites like this to glean information. Coaches have a lot on their plates and don't have the time. They basically only scout the teams in their conference and those they play in the preseason.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
but they get back back a talented 6'6" soph forward who broke her wrist early and had to red shirt last year.

Are you referring to Lydia Giomi? She should be a RS Fr. I think. Folks in Seattle were pretty hopeful she would stay close to home for college, but no such luck. I think she's gonna be buried on the depth chart at UO. She's definitely behind Hebard and McGwire, and probably Campisano and Gildon as well. I'm not sure if Sabally is being viewed as more of a wing or a post player. Lots of front court players on the roster, Giomi has her work cut out for her trying to get minutes.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA might've slightly underachieved last year, but they still had a strong season. They were right behind Oregon St., Stanford and Washington. There was a large gap between the top 4 and the rest of the conference. The Bruins acquitted themselves well in the Tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom