USA Coaches Poll 2017-18 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

USA Coaches Poll 2017-18

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LOL. I'll tune in tomorrow night to find out. I predict a separate thread will be started and it'll be deja vu all over again.
If we’re going to quote Yogi Berra, I prefer “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
That's very funny.

We there could be more truth to it than most might imagine.

Two years ago, we lost by only 3 points @Baylor and their coach was apparently concerned enough before that game to put out an APB to their fans to fill the arena.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We there could be more truth to it than most might imagine.

Two years ago, we lost by only 3 points @Baylor and their coach was apparently concerned enough before that game to put out an APB to their fans to fill the arena.
I remember that very well. It was a hall mark game for not just USF but for the AAC conference.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Too bad, Baylor cancelled our game with them. That might have been a signature win for our program.

Laura Ferreira, who missed almost all of last year, seems to be fully recovered. I just hope she doesn't have a relapse.

I'm most eager to see how our big transfer, Alyssa Rader, does. I think she will make an immediate impact.
Would you mind giving some information on Rader? What position she plays, how tall she is, and why you think she will make an immediate impact. It seems as if USF will be a really tough game for Uconn this season. How much better than last season's team do you think they will be? It looks as if they have a lot of new talent.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Would you mind giving some information on Rader? What position she plays, how tall she is, and why you think she will make an immediate impact. It seems as if USF will be a really tough game for Uconn this season. How much better than last season's team do you think they will be? It looks as if they have a lot of new talent.

6-2 post. Redshirt sophomore. Transfer from Northern Arizona University.

"Big Sky Conference Outstanding Freshman...NAU's Female Newcomer of the Year...Appeared in 29 games with 28 starts...Averaged 14.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 1.0 blocks per game...Led team in scoring, rebounding, assists and blocks...Led the Big Sky, and ranked 38th nationally, with 13 double-doubles...Ranked ninth in the Big Sky in scoring and third in rebounding"

USF Athletics

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

Plebe pretty much gave the run down on Rader. The only thing he left out is that she has a wide body and even though she isn't that tall can throw her weight around.

Last year we really didn't have anybody effectively to sub for Henshaw. Rader might end up being even better.

Our roster looked good on paper, but two of our tallest players were of little use, due to injury and lack of quality.

Laura only played nine games during the preseason. Missing her cost us at least a few games. So, having her back healthy and in a leadership position should win us a few more this year.

There were two other players who did not play last year.

One, Enna P from Denmark, because of a torn ACL and the other took a red shirt.

I expect at least the one who was injured to have an immediate impact, if she is really fully recovered. I thought she reminded me the most of Courtney Williams.

We had five Freshman last year and only one, Henshaw, stood out. Two others played had limited success. The Juco player we added was of little value and has left the team.

This year we have three freshmen. One an american PG and two European players from Spain who were both ranked 5 star by blue star Europe and 4 stars by ESPN. How much each of these players contribute as freshmen is yet to be determined, but we are excited to have them.

Having said that, UConn has little to worry from USF. No matter how much better we are, can't compare to what you have. However, you embarrassed us when we played last year. I hope we can at least make the games somewhat competitive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've always felt the 1st poll should be 3 or 4 games into the season to sort of work out the kinks! The question marks seem to resolve themselves and you have a truer vision of each team!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank you Plebe and USFMB. That was very informative. I'll be looking forward to the games between Uconn and USF even more so than last season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've always felt the 1st poll should be 3 or 4 games into the season to sort of work out the kinks! The question marks seem to resolve themselves and you have a truer vision of each team!
Yea but I don't thing the BY would survive the month of October each year. You can only start so many thread about the starting lineup, song to the key of life, Holly outlook on the TN season, how far the Freshmen are behind, the next recruiting class, injuries, Texas players staying home, transfers... on second though you may be on to something there.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You’re right, Meyers. But I did get myself into a “pier six brawl” on another board, having dared to suggest that if team A defeats team B (in softball in this case), one really can’t advance as fact the idea that B is still the better team. Two teams compete to determine which is the better team. I just don’t get how someone can persuasively argue that the final score isn’t definative.
Want something really crazy, read this.

Chicopee Comp football makes D-III Western Mass. Tournament, edges Agawam in Walker System Rating

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So we have a poor quality video of yet another painful Holly Warlick press conference dropped in to a thread on the first coaches's poll of the season. All we're missing is a margo video.

Agreed. How can you possibly begin a season (any season) without at least one Margo video? :eek: After all, she's ya girl!!! :p

Plebe

Reaction Score
Plebe pretty much gave the run down on Rader. The only thing he left out is that she has a wide body and even though she isn't that tall can throw her weight around.

Last year we really didn't have anybody effectively to sub for Henshaw. Rader might end up being even better.

Our roster looked good on paper, but two of our tallest players were of little use, due to injury and lack of quality.

Laura only played nine games during the preseason. Missing her cost us at least a few games. So, having her back healthy and in a leadership position should win us a few more this year.

There were two other players who did not play last year.

One, Enna P from Denmark, because of a torn ACL and the other took a red shirt.

I expect at least the one who was injured to have an immediate impact, if she is really fully recovered. I thought she reminded me the most of Courtney Williams.

We had five Freshman last year and only one, Henshaw, stood out. Two others played had limited success. The Juco player we added was of little value and has left the team.

This year we have three freshmen. One an american PG and two European players from Spain who were both ranked 5 star by blue star Europe and 4 stars by ESPN. How much each of these players contribute as freshmen is yet to be determined, but we are excited to have them.

Having said that, UConn has little to worry from USF. No matter how much better we are, can't compare to what you have. However, you embarrassed us when we played last year. I hope we can at least make the games somewhat competitive.

In looking at USF's roster, I notice that Ferreira is listed as a senior. But because she only played in 9 games last year (all of them prior to the season midpoint), I'd expected her to apply for a medical hardship waiver to retain her junior year of eligibility. Have you heard anything about whether a decision was made not to pursue the waiver?

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
In looking at USF's roster, I notice that Ferreira is listed as a senior. But because she only played in 9 games last year (all of them prior to the season midpoint), I'd expected her to apply for a medical hardship waiver to retain her junior year of eligibility. Have you heard anything about whether a decision was made not to pursue the waiver?

All I heard was that she played in too many games last year to get a red shirt.

As far as I know, this will be her last year at USF.

Perhaps, she can still pursue an extra year for medical reasons after this season is over. I've heard of doing that in football.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Anyone who has problems with the coaches poll needs to take a look at an actual goofy poll, SI's. And this was done by Richard Deitsch who is an avid fan and reporter on the sport. :confused:

There is a nice, long interview with Geno after the poll.

Women's NCAA hoops preview: Top 10, Auriemma Q&A

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
All I heard was that she played in too many games last year to get a red shirt.

As far as I know, this will be her last year at USF.

Perhaps, she can still pursue an extra year for medical reasons after this season is over. I've heard of doing that in football.
I'd be surprised if she played in too many games. The requirement is no more than 30% of scheduled contests, and 9/30 = exactly 30%. I'd assumed it was no coincidence that the decision was made to pull the plug on her season precisely after her 9th game.

I'd certainly understand if she decided, as many others do, not to pursue a fifth year of eligibility, but I don't see how she'd be barred from it by rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom