USA Coaches Poll 2017-18 | The Boneyard

USA Coaches Poll 2017-18

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd move UCLA and Texas up above Notre Dame. Move OhSU below Stanford and Louisville. I'd drop Washington out completely...and just bump Texas A&M in there.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Washington, Miami, California, South Florida are all too high. Tennessee is too high, along with Oklahoma, DePaul and Oregon State. Marquette is too low.

Reaction Score
Washington, Miami, California, South Florida are all too high. Tennessee is too high, along with Oklahoma, DePaul and Oregon State. Marquette is too low.
I think you might be wrong about DePaul. We may have lost January, Grant, and Schulte, but we get back Millendar, who was a starter before getting hurt last year, Marte Grays who was projected to start last year, and get Dahlman, a transfer from Vanderbilt. All will have a huge impact this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Come on... You can tell us what you’re really thinking, that a certain team from Durham should be ranked just a wee bit higher...;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would like to know why the 7 coaches think South Carolina is better than UConn this season. Also, Tennessee has to prove to me that they can actually win games they are favored to win.
Before last season a number of folks here on the Boneyard argued that when you win a national championship you’re number 1 until someone beats you. Perhaps that’s what the 7 coaches were thinking.

It’s worth noting that no one on the Boneyard is making that argument this year.

As for TN, I completely agree with your comment.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The polls vary in every poll. In this poll I think ND is too high. Maryland may also be too high. They are missing thier top three scores from last year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Come on... You can tell us what you’re really thinking, that a certain team from Durham should be ranked just a wee bit higher...;)

I was getting to that :cool:

I was encouraged by our scrimmage on Sunday.. but will wait until after the exhibition game next Sunday to make my predictions

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think you might be wrong about DePaul. We may have lost January, Grant, and Schulte, but we get back Millendar, who was a starter before getting hurt last year, Marte Grays who was projected to start last year, and get Dahlman, a transfer from Vanderbilt. All will have a huge impact this year.

Well I didn't say that they should not be ranked :p

Reaction Score
The polls vary in every poll. In this poll I think ND is too high. Maryland may also be too high. They are missing thier top three scores from last year.
I think Maryland is too high. I think they'll be about 15th before the tournament because they'll be 14-2 in the Big 10 while the PAC 12 teams are beating up on each other.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Holly was asked about the polls. In today's presser among other questions.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
4 teams that jump out at me

Baylor—maybe too high. They lost a lot in Nina Davis, Alexis Jones, and Alexis Prince. Their guard play behind Wallace will be what I’m watching.

tOSU—I’m not convinced. They have great players but a short rotation and unless Kelsey Mitchell can become a better facilitator and get more team members involved im skeptical. Personally I would like to see Mitchell average 18pts and 7assists a game instead of 25+ & 3-4 assists. Also their defense must be better and I don’t know how that can happen with short bench.

TAMU—only lost Curtyce Knox and gets a dynamic freshman in Chennedy Carter. I think they will be better.

Washington—lost virtually everyone

Reaction Score
I must be spending too much time on the Boneyard (actually, I know I'm spending too much time here), but for the life of me I can't believe UConn isn't unanimous first choice

On 2nd thought, maybe the coaches don't spend enough time here.....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I must be spending too much time on the Boneyard (actually, I know I'm spending too much time here), but for the life of me I can't believe UConn isn't unanimous first choice

On 2nd thought, maybe the coaches don't spend enough time here.....

Completely understand but they may subscribe to the theory that the team that wins the prior year is #1 until they are beat. This was a “healthy” discussion last year when UCONN wasn’t number 1 in preseason polls. I personally don’t believe that but many do and clearly the coaches do as well.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
5 PAC 12 Teams (2 in Top 10)
5 ACC Teams (2 in Top 10)
4 Big 12 Teams (2 in Top 10)
4 SEC Teams (2 in Top 10)
3 Big Ten Teams ( 1 in Top 10)
2 AAC Teams (1 in Top 10)
2 Big East Teams

Online statistics

Members online