USA Coaches Poll 2017-18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA Coaches Poll 2017-18

Reaction Score
Ohio's rank for the last few years makes me wonder if any of these coaches actually watch many games. I would swap their spot with Oregon who comes back intact plus their best player who rode the bench against us. If Mississippi was able to improve after their UConn experience to the degree they did I expect the ducks will, too.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Before last season a number of folks here on the Boneyard argued that when you win a national championship you’re number 1 until someone beats you. It’s worth noting that no one on the Boneyard is making that argument this year.
It is certainly worth noting. Considering the fact UConn hadn't been beaten since November of 2014 and had just won their 4th straight title which had never been done before I could see why people would say that. South Carolina however lost roughly 6 weeks prior to the title game to Missouri. No matter the data you factor in expectations of certain teams (UConn, Notre Dame, Tennesee, Stanford) will pretty much always be higher than anyone else. The good thing about last season is despite how many games UConn won in a row they weren't as dominant as years past and as they may be this year so I was pretty certain someone else was going to win. What was last years motto by the rest of WCBB... "You better get them this year!" Funny thing is they almost didn't :) I would be perfectly fine with them making South Carolina #1. I lost respect for the coaches poll years ago anyway.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would like to know why the 7 coaches think South Carolina is better than UConn this season. Also, Tennessee has to prove to me that they can actually win games they are favored to win.

I too would love to hear each coach's explanation of their perception that USC is better this year than UConn. Maybe they know something we don't. Maybe they've been talking to CARNAC. :confused:

As I remember, it was he that suggested (and lead the charge) that UConn should have been ranked # 1 in the preseason polls last year because they won the national championship the year before, regardless of the personnel lost to graduation, or the team's outlook for the coming year. He maintained that they deserved to be ranked #1 until they suffered a loss, and was knocked off their perch. There were a scant few that agreed with him, most did not.

As it turned out, he was right. UConn quickly rose to the #1 spot after defeating then #2 Baylor and #1 Notre Dame (neither of whom made the final four), where they remained the rest of the year until their loss to Miss ST. in the final four.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hard to argue too much. Sure, a couple nits to pick, as some of my fellow BY'ers have already pointed out. It is 32 random coaches, many from tiny programs. I wonder how much "homework" coaches actually do before they vote - case in point, a most everyone pointed out, Washington.

I suspect SC will continue to get 1st place votes - unless either they lose, have a super close game, or until they play UCONN. It seems like some of the coaches who vote adhere to the adage "the team who wins the NC is #1 until they lose".

Reaction Score
A year from now is there any stopping Baylor and Texas? They have cleaned up in the past two years recruiting race.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A year from now is there any stopping Baylor and Texas? They have cleaned up in the past two years recruiting race.

Notre Dame could be super strong as well if Turner comes back healthy and Sheppard is legit.

Still think that team in Storrs will have something to say about things though....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Notre Dame could be super strong as well if Turner comes back healthy and Sheppard is legit.

Still think that team in Storrs will have something to say about things though....

To expand on this, the Irish could have Turner, Ogunbowale, and Mabrey as seniors and Young and Sheppard as juniors. I'd probably place them ahead of the Texas teams if I were sure Turner were healthy and Sheppard in shape.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Yes - UConn. Recruiting is only one step in the process. There are questions on whether Kim and Karen can get their teams over the hump.

Reaction Score
I need to remind myself every year that after about 5 teams there isn't much to talk about. The drop off in quality is so severe beyond the top 5 or so that it is of little importance where teams are ranked. In the men's game, upsets are expected; in the women's not so much. We just need to win out and let the others worry about their rankings.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
4 teams that jump out at me

Baylor—maybe too high. They lost a lot in Nina Davis, Alexis Jones, and Alexis Prince. Their guard play behind Wallace will be what I’m watching.

I think Baylor's freshmen guards are going to have an immediate impact. Reports are that Didi Richards and Cara "Moon" Ursin are outperforming the returning guards in practice. I look for those two, along with Alexis Morris, are going to have a huge impact.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Nared said it best "People can say what they want about our team but at the end of the day, what matters is how you play when you step on the court."

Reaction Score
I need to remind myself every year that after about 5 teams there isn't much to talk about. The drop off in quality is so severe beyond the top 5 or so that it is of little importance where teams are ranked. In the men's game, upsets are expected; in the women's not so much. We just need to win out and let the others worry about their rankings.

Last year's Final 4 included teams that were ranked 3, 4, 10, and below 10 in the AP preseason poll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom