US Open | Page 2 | The Boneyard

US Open

Reaction Score
Spieth 3 putts 17/18 to miss cut by 1 after 4 straight birds.
That’s gotta hurt.
Hartford bound early

Reaction Score
DJ seems unbeatable right now. He is a bro though so he is prone to do something dumb like fall down the stairs and hurt his back or ground his club in a bunker.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
DJ seems unbeatable right now. He is a bro though so he is prone to do something dumb like fall down the stairs and hurt his back or ground his club in a bunker.
I'm betting he rented a place with no stairs and there are no random bunkers that are questionable. The only thing stopping him is pulling a Phil and trying to do something too dramatic.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
How is Phil not DQ'd??
That was the strangest thing I've ever seen a top player do. But I kinda liked it - I'm sure I've done that a time or two. The golf equivalent to a tap out, I suppose. Bet he doesn't play tomorrow.

Reaction Score
We can finally put to rest that Tiger is the greatest of all time. Best comparison is Sandy Koufax. Dominant with a great run. Just the longevity lacking to call him the greatest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Phil called BS on the USGA as someone of his stature should.

You can debate the length of the rough, pin placements, and the height of the grass on the greens all you like as these guys are professionals but when you hit the ball within 12 feet of the hole it shouldn't end up 30 yards away. It certainly shouldn't get there after hitting 8 foot putt. That's on the USGA.

If Phil doesn't want to play chase the ball, by all means take your 2 stroke penalty. I only wish he flipped off the marshall while doing it.

Reaction Score
Phil called BS on the USGA as someone of his stature should.

You can debate the length of the rough, pin placements, and the height of the grass on the greens all you like as these guys are professionals but when you hit the ball within 12 feet of the hole it shouldn't end up 30 yards away. It certainly shouldn't get there after hitting 8 foot putt. That's on the USGA.

If Phil doesn't want to play chase the ball, by all means take your 2 stroke penalty. I only wish he flipped off the marshall while doing it.

I think phil is full of crap he had a tirade and Little or nothing to do with a rule. Take your lumps and grind like the rest of these guys are. Justin Thomas had the best interview he blamed nothing on the course.

Reaction Score
USGA managed to up the best golf course on the planet. They constantly walk the line between challenging and unplayable, but unfortunately crossed that line with today’s greens and pin placements.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
They definitely lost the course this afternoon but you could argue they didn't expect the winds to be nearly as strong and were right on the edge of having it right considering two 66's early. That being said, I want to watch good shots get rewarded and this course with the closely cut areas, incredibly difficult pin placements often punished excellent shots. I don't want to watch to see who can make the least bogies.

*edit* LOL - I'm about 8 minutes behind watching and the PGA official said just came on and said almost exactly what I did above.

Reaction Score
Quit being a baby Phil everybody is playing the same course winning should be tough. Classless move by a normally classy guy

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They definitely lost the course this afternoon but you could argue they didn't expect the winds to be nearly as strong and were right on the edge of having it right considering two 66's early. That being said, I want to watch good shots get rewarded and this course with the closely cut areas, incredibly difficult pin placements often punished excellent shots. I don't want to watch to see who can make the least bogies.

Z. Johnson says USGA has 'lost the golf course'

I agree. There's a difference between some of the most challenging conditions in the world, and damn near unplayable.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
USGA managed to up the best golf course on the planet. They constantly walk the line between challenging and unplayable, but unfortunately crossed that line with today’s greens and pin placements.
I want to see pros double and triple bogey holes. I want to see them hit shots off cliffs over shark infested waters. They should make these courses as challenging as possible. Watching them shoot 25 under in Cromwell is no fun.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I am not a Phil fan at all, but he was just frustrated, knew he was done and didn't want to chase the ball down the hill. As a golf fan, I don't really care. I also think he shouldn't play tomorrow. I think they interpreted the rule in favor of a fan favorite. I think a lot of less statured players would be DQ'd.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I am not a Phil fan at all, but he was just frustrated, knew he was done and didn't want to chase the ball down the hill. As a golf fan, I don't really care. I also think he shouldn't play tomorrow. I think they interpreted the rule in favor of a fan favorite. I think a lot of less statured players would be DQ'd.
I enjoy seeing the pros as frustrated as I am on the course.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Z. Johnson says USGA has 'lost the golf course'

I agree. There's a difference between some of the most challenging conditions in the world, and damn near unplayable.
On the bright side, they really tightened the field up. 22 guys within 5 shots, 15 within 4. If they get the course right tomorrow, that's going to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Imagine two guys started the day 11 strokes back and they make up the final pairing. And it brought my longshot back into contention - Aphibarnrat only 3 back.

Reaction Score

He hit a moving ball...penalty equals two strokes...Two stroke penalty assessed...penalty paid. Nothing more to see here...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He hit a moving ball...penalty equals two strokes...Two stroke penalty assessed...penalty paid. Nothing more to see here...
That's certainly the way they applied the ruling - it wasn't their only option.

Reaction Score
I want to see pros double and triple bogey holes. I want to see them hit shots off cliffs over shark infested waters. They should make these courses as challenging as possible. Watching them shoot 25 under in Cromwell is no fun.

Nobody wants it to be Cromwell. But pros putting off cement greens on a regular basis isn’t golf.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
DJ by 20

I'm betting he rented a place with no stairs and there are no random bunkers that are questionable. The only thing stopping him is pulling a Phil and trying to do something too dramatic.

Nobody has ever gone broke fading the Boneyard.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That Phil hasn’t WD under the threat of DQ is a bigger affront to the tournament than difficult pin placements.

Between the apologizing and Phil the USGA looks like complete punks.

Reaction Score
That's certainly the way they applied the ruling - it wasn't their only option.

I’d have to see under what circumstances anyone has been dq’d under the first option to even consider sharing your opinion here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom