US Open | Page 4 | The Boneyard

US Open

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I bet US Open backlash results in many positive Travelers comments.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The worst for me was when Rocco snubbed his commitment after coming in 2nd. Never heard from the guy since, karma.

Reaction Score
Yup, Rose came after he won. Webb Simpson showed up in 2012 after he won. Glover showed up in 2009. It's actually a lot more common than you'd think. Kopeka hadn't committed to Traveler's last year like he has for this year.

If you look back at some of the more recent ones too they were guys who wouldn't normally come to Travelers -- Spieth, Rory, Kaymer. Fully expect Koepka to show.

Pavin came after he won at Shinnecock in '95.

Reaction Score
The worst for me was when Rocco snubbed his commitment after coming in 2nd. Never heard from the guy since, karma.

Yeah the 18-hole playoff on Monday had nothing to do with it . . .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah the 18-hole playoff on Monday had nothing to do with it . . .
It didn’t. I remember him saying as much.

I also recall Ian Baker-Finch coming after winning a major. And that was the British Open.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I rarely agree with Chamblee but he made a point last night where the fairways were too wide. If they tighten up the fairways then it doesn't become a who putts best on concrete contest. Mike Davis should stop apologizing for hole locations and unforseen windy conditions and make the change that won't have to be tinkered with everyday. And the argument that we don't want the pros to be hitting iron off of every tee because of tight fairways is moot because the big boys were hitting driving irons off most of the tees anyways. I don't know if Phil didn't get DQ'd because he's Phil or because the USGA thought they might get abused about the course set up if they did DQ him. IMO he should have been DQ'd. It's a bad precedent.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Thanks @Waquoit I'm taking a mully btw.

Reaction Score
I rarely agree with Chamblee but he made a point last night where the fairways were too wide. If they tighten up the fairways then it doesn't become a who putts best on concrete contest. Mike Davis should stop apologizing for hole locations and unforseen windy conditions and make the change that won't have to be tinkered with everyday. And the argument that we don't want the pros to be hitting iron off of every tee because of tight fairways is moot because the big boys were hitting driving irons off most of the tees anyways. I don't know if Phil didn't get DQ'd because he's Phil or because the USGA thought they might get abused about the course set up if they did DQ him. IMO he should have been DQ'd. It's a bad precedent.
Instead of a DQ Phil he should get a bonus from the USGA for taking the heat off the joke of a setup that once again spoiled our National Tournament
Maybe next year they will have a windmill .

Reaction Score
They would have DQd him if he made the redirect. Came close.

Reaction Score
Perfect course for Koepke....when he was on FSU's golf team, he played on the FSU Seminole course....narrow fairways, baked hard greens in the summer...

Doesn't feature water hazards, not very pretty...just a blah course....but hit the ball long and straight, and putt with a hand that doesn't over putt...and you can beat par (well, not me).

Reaction Score
To me that was an old fashioned open. Miss the fairway and pay a price. Wrong place on the green, pay a price. The Open SHOULD be different from the weekly TEE-IT-UP Open. Last year at that cow pasture was the total joke. Erin Hills was no tougher than the Travelers. The old concept was that par should be a good score at the US Open. The last few years it has become a total joke. And Erin Hills was basically the Greater Greensboro Open.

Reaction Score
To me that was an old fashioned open. Miss the fairway and pay a price. Wrong place on the green, pay a price. The Open SHOULD be different from the weekly TEE-IT-UP Open. Last year at that cow pasture was the total joke. Erin Hills was no tougher than the Travelers. The old concept was that par should be a good score at the US Open. The last few years it has become a total joke. And Erin Hills was basically the Greater Greensboro Open.

Agree for the most part, overblown because of 3-4 pin placements on Saturday otherwise it was the US Open again. The fairways were huge for them so the greens better be tough that's of sure.

Reaction Score
Yup, Rose came after he won. Webb Simpson showed up in 2012 after he won. Glover showed up in 2009. It's actually a lot more common than you'd think. Kopeka hadn't committed to Traveler's last year like he has for this year.

If you look back at some of the more recent ones too they were guys who wouldn't normally come to Travelers -- Spieth, Rory, Kaymer. Fully expect Koepka to show.

Koepka will be at the Travelers. He's going to skip the pro am but he will be there on Thursday to play - can't wait - will be a fun weekend

Reaction Score
Pairings out for Thursday and Friday. Some of these groups.... amazing to see how far Travelers has come

Day, Schauffele, Berger

Koepka, Simpson, Reed

Leishman, Spieth, Knox

Bubba, Rory, Thomas

Reaction Score
Agree for the most part, overblown because of 3-4 pin placements on Saturday otherwise it was the US Open again. The fairways were huge for them so the greens better be tough that's of sure.
Exactly, due to all the complaints the USGA decided a few years ago to widen the Open fairways to basically Tour width so guys can just bomb away without worrying. Erin Hills took that beyond the logical extreme. Even Shinnecock was wider than in previous Opens. If these guys ever had to play a course set up like Winged Foot in 1974 or Shinnecock the year Pavin won their heads would explode.

Reaction Score
I think the next time they go back to Shinny, the fairways will be more narrow, and there will be more hay around the greens. Also think they’ll never let the greens bake like the last 2 opens there. So what if guys are so good they break par. Loved watching Fleetwood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom