URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin | Page 9 | The Boneyard

URI Transfer: Tyrese Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the more obvious hole is at the 4. But it sort of depends on how we think the lineups are going to go, so I could be totally off.

PG -- Cole/Gaffney
SG -- Adams/Bouk
SF -- Jackson/Polley
PF -- Springs
C -- Whaley/Carlton (and maybe Springs)

Hurley is noticeably looking to go *bigger* than last year with our recruiting. Gotta figure at this point we're moving more towards our ideal lineup.

I assume Polley/Jackson will have to push to the 4 when we go smaller with Bouk or Adams at the 3.

Can we stop pretending Carlton isn’t starting? He’s starting. Get over it.

Reaction Score
Can we stop pretending Carlton isn’t starting? He’s starting. Get over it.

Carlton may have a great off-seasonn and get back on track, but whaley was the better player by far the last 14 games of the season when he was given the chance. See these stats I posted before:

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)
51% FG

Reaction Score
genuinely curious why you're expecting polley to be able to play stretch 4 next year? he played almost exclusively at the 3 this year and was much more effective than he was last year when Hurley tried to play him at the 4. that did not go well.

Because Whaley at the 4 and Carlton at the 5 means we’re playing down a man and a half on offense. Can’t have that, especially in the Big East. I LOVE Whaley but he’s not much of a go to scoring option down low. He’s more limited to 10-12 footers and put backs.

Reaction Score
Carlton may have a great off-seasonn and get back on track, but whaley was the better player by far the last 14 games of the season when he was given the chance. See these stats I posted before:

Whaley:
9.8 PPG
7.6 REB
0.9 AST
1.3 TO
2.1 BLK
1.0 STL
2.8 PF
19.1 minutes per
60% FG
77% FT (3.4 attempts)

Carlton:
5.1 PTS
5.2 REB
0.7 AST
1.5 TO
0.7 BLK
0.4 STL
3.1 PF
18.4 mpg
47% FT (1.1 attempts per)
51% FG

Both will start. Both are seniors. Both may not finish games.

Reaction Score
Anyone have more info on his playing style and how he’ll potentially fit in? Was hoping for landers but I have faith in Hurley.

Reaction Score
I’ve come around a lot on Martin. Athletic 6’6 guards who rebound are hard to find. Only problem is that he sits a year, we have a more immediate need at guard. Have to think we use that final spot with a guard who’s immediately eligible.
He’s really not a guard. Not a great passer, ball handler, or shooter. But Jackson like to have the ball in his hands so the fit between those two actually makes sense. Just hoping Martin can up his 3P%.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Anyone have more info on his playing style and how he’ll potentially fit in? Was hoping for landers but I have faith in Hurley.
Tons of high school and college tape on him. 6’6 guard/wing, athletic, physical, rebounds really well, cocky, struggles handling the ball, passing the ball, streaky shooter. Prototypical Hurley type player. His flaws can be fixed.

Here’s him dropping 24 on WKU last season.

Reaction Score
We are UConn and they are Ole Miss. There is a huge difference when it comes to basketball
Times have changed. I hate to say it. This isn’t Big East 2000s that these kids are choosing from. Ole Miss plays in the SEC. it’s a good college town. Like, idk I know I’ll get hammered for this opinion but UConn isn’t the automatic in recruiting that it once was.

Reaction Score
He’s really not a guard. Not a great passer, ball handler, or shooter. But Jackson like to have the ball in his hands so the fit between those two actually makes sense. Just hoping Martin can up his 3P%.

Sounds like Sid

Reaction Score

“But you have to wonder where he fits into the scheme.”

Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make. For Nolley and Sanogo it is clear where they’d fit in the scheme.

Reaction Score

Tough to know what you mean by "not great" in the scheme of things. Think his handle and passing at 6'6" are totally acceptable. He didn't play on ball much at all, so didn't get to showcase much.

Take this play for example:

Reaction Score
Tough to know what you mean by "not great" in the scheme of things. Think his handle and passing at 6'6" are totally acceptable. He didn't play on ball much at all, so didn't get to showcase much.

Take this play for example:

That’s why I think he’s a forward and not a guard. Don’t really expect him to play on ball.

Reaction Score
That’s why I think he’s a forward and not a guard. Don’t really expect him to play on ball.

I do think think he's a 2/3 with more 3, and that's kinda what Denham Brown was also, so we may agree. Seems like last year at Rhody, it was definitely more about Fatts/Downtin playing 87% of all of the available guard minutes and almost always having at least one on the court at all times. I think he can guard 2-4 (except the beefiest 4s) and with another year of seasoning could be a secondary playmaker.

But he's definitely gotta be able to shoot a respectable 3pt%. He's gotta be able to make the open ones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do think think he's a 2/3 with more 3, and that's kinda what Denham Brown was also, so we may agree. Seems like last year at Rhody, it was definitely more about Fatts/Downtin playing 87% of all of the available guard minutes and almost always having at least one on the court at all times. I think he can guard 2-4 (except the beefiest 4s) and with another year of seasoning could be a secondary playmaker.

But he's definitely gotta be able to shoot a respectable 3pt%. He's gotta be able to make the open ones.
Agreed, we’re on the same page. Just needs to be able to hit the spot up 3s at a good clip and it’s hard not to see him being an asset here.

Reaction Score
Watched all of the full games I could find.

1. He is not a guard. He is not a swing. He is a wing. 100%. He can't dribble with his right hand (but shoots righty), which made it tough for him to go 1v1 to the rim. Tough rebounder... seems to take pride in it.

2. He seemed really disengaged on both ends of the court at times. It was the Fatts and Dowtin show down there, and I'm just not sure how he fit in. I would be a little miffed too. Plays weren't really run for him much at all, which made it tough to find an offensive identity, especially at the rim.

3. I think he has the potential to be a nasty, versatile defender. He has prototypical wing size, solid athleticism and moves really well laterally. With his size/strength he could guard 1-4 if he puts his mind to it. Made some really, really impressive plays when he was engaged. He needs to change his mentality--I think Hurley can bring that out.

4. His shot is definitely improving from HS. Setpoint and release are smoother... trending in the right direction. Still has wonky hand position on the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak