[Updated] Office Of State Ethics Questioning Corey Edsall's Employment At UConn (M. Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

[Updated] Office Of State Ethics Questioning Corey Edsall's Employment At UConn (M. Anthony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a monument to dysfunction. If there was somebody bleeding on the floor they would be arguing over whose responsible for cleaning up toxic medical waste rather than attending to the victim.

I suspect that this is important enough that our state senators and congressmen will need to spend several days next week discussing it. Then our dear governor will need to hold a press conference to blast someone for the situation. Maybe we need another nontax, tax to pay for it.
Does anyone else get the feeling that our wonderful government would like to address anything except another huge tax deficit?

Reaction Score
This is the kind of BS you have to put up with when the state is run by p-...-ys. Just keep voting those liberals in folks. Just keep voting them in.

The one thing that always bothers me is the mean-spiritedness of a prank like that. No good comes from it. I see it in some Boneyard posts, see it in the vicious political world we live in right now and see it more and more in society in general as I make my way through the day. Just ugly and so unnecessary, so counter productive.

No it's not. Your one of the most mean spirited posters on this board and give UConn fans in general a bad name. Were you in the photo? If not then why your sick obsession with it. Just get rid of the picture and put up another. Why the sophomoric, childish pranks? Grow up people.

Pot, meet kettle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wait til the Ethics office finds out all the Asst coaches were picked and then UConn made a job description that matched the coaches quals.

None of the coaching positions were open to the public.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Wait til the Ethics office finds out all the Asst coaches were picked and then UConn made a job description that matched the coaches quals.

None of the coaching positions were open to the public.

Stop stirring the pot as they don't need anymore ideas on how to screw up UConn more

Reaction Score
Shouldn't the ethics committee be a bit more concerned with how in the heck a 60 million dollar minor league baseball stadium made its way into Hartford?

Well, no, but it doesn't make their scrutiny of this any less silly . . .

Reaction Score
Ridiculous honestly. Public/ state/ govt jobs are bs. The kid got the job because of his dad but this happens often even outside of sports. Also, pretty sure he's a very very low paid D1 coach. Let it go.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I worked for 3 Fortune 500 companies my first 14 years out of UCONN. I wouldn't be the man or businessman I am today if my Dad didn't give me a job that 15th year.

Corey has cut his teeth in this sport away from his father and has earned this job based on his resume alone.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't the ethics committee be a bit more concerned with how in the heck a 60 million dollar minor league baseball stadium made its way into Hartford?
Or the fact that it costs over $75,000 per mile in administrative costs alone for state road maintenance in CT.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just another black eye for the state and UConn with something every other school in the nation does already. Just looks bad, but then again this is the political climate in Connecticut right now

Reaction Score
I think you are crazy to think this is ONLY in Connecticut.

This is about some yahoo thinking they can make a point. Ultimately, this will fade. But, there are lots of places that this garbage is commonplace. And, in this case, the administration and the AD did do things transparently and placed him as per the negotiation. Give this the moment ... the air will ease out of that balloon of "corruption" again.

Reaction Score
OK, I will take a contrarian view. This is a clear case of nepotism. Pure and simple. The very definition of the term. Just because it has been customary in college football nationwide does not make it right. I am a little surprised that this action was not completely vetted with a formal opinion rather than an informal opinion, but maybe it was a time thing. So let's not be wringing hands and lamenting an "embarrassment" to the state.

I would guess that they are gonna have to carve out a clear exception for this case and put in place a clearer policy going forward. Is there an exception, or is there not an exception, for college level coaching staffs? Seems pretty simple.

Let the flames begin.

Reaction Score
Given that they just penalized 2 people for getting jobs for their kids they almost have to look at this or let the other guys off the hook. I think all 3 cases are silly but the rules are shat they are. So they need to look at this and as dick says find an exception

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If they looked at all the goings on in EVERY department in the state they would not even look at this situation
Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones
The people who are elected to run this state bend over for the unions and take care of their own
This is a very very corrupt state - but no political talk on this site so I'll end it there

Reaction Score
This state has so much debt it will never recover. Be ready for your local taxes to go up 50% next year as the state kills local aid for schools except to cities. 1/3 of pension liabilities are being transferred to towns and the pension contribution rate is going up 600% over the next 10 years to make up for underfunding. I love CT but it's getting about time to bail before you can't.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
OK, I will take a contrarian view. This is a clear case of nepotism. Pure and simple. The very definition of the term. Just because it has been customary in college football nationwide does not make it right. I am a little surprised that this action was not completely vetted with a formal opinion rather than an informal opinion, but maybe it was a time thing. So let's not be wringing hands and lamenting an "embarrassment" to the state.

I would guess that they are gonna have to carve out a clear exception for this case and put in place a clearer policy going forward. Is there an exception, or is there not an exception, for college level coaching staffs? Seems pretty simple.

Let the flames begin.

It's nepotism but every college coach has the authority to hire his staff.

No one blindly aoies for an open job, gets an interview and then gets hired.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Let's put aside the fact that it was done up front and out in the open.

Nepotism doesn't really apply in this type of job, in my less than humble opinion, and here's why: A head coach is chosen with the expectations to create a winning program. He is then allowed to pick a staff of his choosing. The staff is not chosen by a hiring committee. It's him. All him. By a more loose definition, it is all nepotism. Same coaching tree. Same inner circle, whether blood ties or not. All his call. Like PP and DeLeone. Like Diaco and Verducci. This is NOT hiring that is open to the public.

And we all know that if you choose the wrong team and don't get the results, you're gone...

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

Let the flames begin.
Corey legitimately has a football coaching resume and I'm not sure we've paid an assistant coach as little as he's getting since we went FBS. As long as he's not being supervised by his dad I'm guessing that the policy for state employees is intact.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is incredibly routine. Cory isn't losing his job. The Ethics panel is doing exactly what you want them to he doing. They are vetting the legitimacy of his qualifications for the position and establishing any protocols to ensure compliance with any ethics laws.

His qualifications are not in question. There may be some tweak to set his administrative chain of command outside the AD. Mostly likely student life or the academic side.

If an issue ever came up in recruiting, personal conduct, hookers and blow, or anything other than performance as part of the staff, you wouldn't want anyone with ties to his dad running the show.

Just as you wouldn't want the head of the CEDC appointing his kid as a director.

This is not a black eye unless the commission asks for something unreasonable. It's actually a good thing that shows us doing things the right way.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Before I got the job I have now I was an assistant teacher at another school. They knew they were going to have a teaching spot opening up and wanted to offer it to me. I never had to interview or even apply, the district just had to post the position and it was mine. It was strange to me at the time but I didn't feel bad because I'm sure I was on the wrong side of situations just like that for the 100s of jobs I applied for and dozens of interviews I went on over the years before I finally got a break.

Reaction Score
"Hiring relatives to lucrative positions, like obtaining the interest-free loans or private plane hours included in many coaches’ contracts, would be frowned upon elsewhere on the state payroll."

It's been few months since I read the contract, but IIRC it's a good thing Edsall's contract doesn't include interest-free loans or private plane hours for Corey Edsall. :rolleyes:

This is a joke. The fact that Edsall let them know he wanted to hire his son BEFORE he accepted the position means there was nothing unseemly done here. The fact the school sought an informal opinion PRIOR to hiring his son shows they were being proactive to do this the right way.

Coaches are allowed to hire their staff. Whether it's his son, daughter, brother-in-law, or college roommate. They pick their staff, and unlike the CEDC, they can point to very clear performance related measures and evaluate the coaches.

Corey has a resume that would land him a coaching job somewhere. He's the lowest paid coach on the staff.

This is a non-story.

Reaction Score
This is a non-story.

While I agree w/ the sentiment - the story is increasingly expanding nationwide (as one would expect based on headline) in the current climate (and I don't mean weather).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom