UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track

Reaction Score
It's not a good place to watch games. Has some horrific sightlines and the upper deck has seats that are 5 miles away. I really wanted them to go with the reduce seating model that was proposed years ago
Thanks for responding. And if information signage at XL means scoreboard that stinks too.

Reaction Score
Essentially, people are whining about this can't benefit UConn, and his response is essentially well they are playing there anyway and it'll help elevate the experience and offset some cost.
What else is he going to say?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the subtext is what is actually important here.

UConn is afforded the ability to run a $50mm deficit with very little political pushback. You want to sign Dan Hurley to that deal? Suck it up and play some games in Hartford to satisfy the state.
I largely agree. The cost of playing at the XL has always been the issue for me. We could still placate the legislature by playing games there without doing it at a loss. At some point in the future, I'd like to see the pricing at XL being dropped to the out of pocket cost of putting a game on at Gampel. In that way, our school isn't being used to hide millions of dollars of CDRA ineptitude annually.

I do give Benedict some credit in that essentially the school said to the legislature if you want us to play there, you've got to help us with the cost of upgrading Gampel, since you are taking money out of our pocket. The state agreed.

I do think that the choice of games could be better. I think the XL slate should be largely during the student break plus a few marquee games. That way, we could take advantage of the 6000 extra seats at the XL so that we lose less money playing there.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I largely agree. The cost of playing at the XL has always been the issue for me. We could still placate the legislature by playing games there without doing it at a loss. At some point in the future, I'd like to see the pricing at XL being dropped to the out of pocket cost of putting a game on at Gampel. In that way, our school isn't being used to hide millions of dollars of CDRA ineptitude annually.

I do give Benedict some credit in that essentially the school said to the legislature if you want us to play there, you've got to help us with the cost of upgrading Gampel, since you are taking money out of our pocket. The state agreed.

I do think that the choice of games could be better. I think the XL slate should be largely during the student break plus a few marquee games. That way, we could take advantage of the 6000 extra seats at the XL so that we lose less money playing there.

On one hand, I think the deficit and the subsequent subsidy reflects perhaps poorly on the school from a general standpoint or a conference realignment standpoint.

However, the decision makers in the state that largely allow UConn athletics to operate in this fashion would rather show that loss with the UConn AD than the with the CDRA.

If that's the cost of doing business, then we accept it and move on.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Are there actually more urinals as part of this though? I've been an XL season ticket holder for at least 15 years and the only thing I really want is to be able to go to the men's room and get a beer at halftime without getting back to my seat at the under-16 timeout.
The best bathrooms are upstairs in the 200 section behind the baskets. Less lines. And the best part is you don’t have to piss in that awkwardly placed urinal all the way in the corner like the 100 sections have.

Nothing worse than having a 300lb man fat check you into the urinal when he’s trying to sneak by.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think fans here that don't go to games underestimate the damage to the program that playing all the games in Gampel would bring for no appreciable benefit. Every game in Gampel means 5000 fewer fans can enjoy the team in person. Less chance for the next generation of fans to develop.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think fans here that don't go to games underestimate the damage to the program that playing all the games in Gampel would bring for no appreciable benefit. Every game in Gampel means 5000 fewer fans can enjoy the team in person. Less chance for the next generation of fans to develop.
Gampel is also a dump and playing all games there would cut off 60% of the fan base.

CL82

Reaction Score
On one hand, I think the deficit and the subsequent subsidy reflects perhaps poorly on the school from a general standpoint or a conference realignment standpoint.

However, the decision makers in the state that largely allow UConn athletics to operate in this fashion would rather show that loss with the UConn AD than the with the CDRA.

If that's the cost of doing business, then we accept it and move on.
Or maybe they just haven't thought about it? Having the CDRA report its own losses wouldn't seem to hurt anyone. Having Connecticut absorb those losses makes us a less attractive target for realignment. And UConn being in a P* conference means tens of millions of dollars poured into the Connecticut economy annually without the taxpayers footing the bill.

CL82

Reaction Score
This would be a valid point if all of our XL center games sold out. They do not.

Reaction Score
This would be a valid point if all of our XL center games sold out. They do not.
You're still getting 5,000 more fannies in the seats in XL than Gampel, sellouts or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Or maybe they just haven't thought about it? Having the CDRA report its own losses wouldn't seem to hurt anyone. Having Connecticut absorb those losses makes us a less attractive target for realignment. And UConn being in a P* conference means tens of millions of dollars poured into the Connecticut economy annually without the taxpayers footing the bill.

To that point, it could all be very immaterial in the scheme of things. Which is no nobody at the state or UConn seems to care so much.

The deficit on the surface does seem to not reflect well from a realignment standpoint but it also serves to reflect how much more committed financially we are than our g5 counterparts.

Reaction Score
This was a valid response like 5 years ago when the program was going through its down years, but not anymore. UConn played eight games at the XL Center last year, the worst cupcake game coming on a Tuesday night in November still had 3,000 more fans than a Gampel sellout and tickets are only going to be tougher to come by from here.

Marquette -- 15,684 sellout
Butler -- 15,684 sellout
Xavier -- 15,684 sellout
Georgetown -- 15,684 sellout
St. John's -- 15,684 sellout
Manhattan -- 15,006
Stonehill -- 14,606
Miss. Valley. St. -- 13,298

Reaction Score
As an XL hater they will definitely sell out every game there this year. But if they moved every game to Gampel it would not hurt the fan base lol. They will find ways to go. Just like other fan bases do

Reaction Score
As an XL hater they will definitely sell out every game there this year. But if they moved every game to Gampel it would not hurt the fan base lol. They will find ways to go. Just like other fan bases do
There are some exceptions. Lots of groups go to the XL Center such as youth basketball teams and other organizations for children. They are often recognized in the stands or on the court. I don't think these groups would have the same opportunity at Gampel and these groups bring in many kids, families and fans.

Reactions: TKs

CL82

Reaction Score
You're still getting 5,000 more fannies in the seats in XL than Gampel, sellouts or not.
Correct, but you're probably not making more than if you had 10,000 at Gampel. Because at the XL center, you have to pay $45,000+3 dollars per ticket.

CL82

Reaction Score
To that point, it could all be very immaterial in the scheme of things. Which is no nobody at the state or UConn seems to care so much.

The deficit on the surface does seem to not reflect well from a realignment standpoint but it also serves to reflect how much more committed financially we are than our g5 counterparts.
In our last big 12 flirtation, I didn't hear anyone suggest that our deficit reflected our commitment. I did hear a lot of commentary that our massive annual deficit meant that our programs could be shut down at any time.

For what it's worth, Dave Benedict has on multiple occasions talked about the fact that are in equitable arrangement with the CDRA cost us approximately 7 million a year. He seems concerned about it.

CL82

Reaction Score
This was a valid response like 5 years ago when the program was going through its down years, but not anymore. UConn played eight games at the XL Center last year, the worst cupcake game coming on a Tuesday night in November still had 3,000 more fans than a Gampel sellout and tickets are only going to be tougher to come by from here.

Marquette -- 15,684 sellout
Butler -- 15,684 sellout
Xavier -- 15,684 sellout
Georgetown -- 15,684 sellout
St. John's -- 15,684 sellout
Manhattan -- 15,006
Stonehill -- 14,606
Miss. Valley. St. -- 13,298
That's a fair point. As long as we are selling out at the Excel center we are making roughly the same amount of money as a sellout at Gampel Arena.

Reaction Score
That's a fair point. As long as we are selling out at the Excel center we are making roughly the same amount of money as a sellout at Gampel Arena.
This wasn't about money though, it's in response to a statement about the impact of the sheer number of UConn fans being able to enjoy the games. This was the post that started it:

"I think fans here that don't go to games underestimate the damage to the program that playing all the games in Gampel would bring for no appreciable benefit. Every game in Gampel means 5000 fewer fans can enjoy the team in person. Less chance for the next generation of fans to develop."

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Dave Benedict has on multiple occasions talked about the fact that are in equitable arrangement with the CDRA cost us approximately 7 million a year. He seems concerned about it.

From January…

“There are annual costs unique to UConn, and they are not insignificant. The Huskies pay rent and ticket surcharges, and lose out in areas of parking and concession revenue, by playing football home games at Rentschler Field in East Hartford and some men’s and women’s basketball games, and some men’s hockey games, at the XL Center in Hartford. The equation can add up to more than $5 million in lost revenue each year.“

Curious - Has anyone here seen an analysis of the potential lost seat license/donation revenue if games are pulled from XL to Gampel (which AD David Benedict said on Sunday isn’t happening). Have to think that is part of the calculus of games @ XL as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least you haters aren't trying sell the nonsense that UConn loses money playing in Hartford anymore. It's shifted to "they don't make as much money."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom