UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
XL center is a dumpy stadium in an old dumpy mall in a decaying and dead city. It represents the decay of the city and nobody would miss it if it was demolished.
This guy gets the vapors when anyone looks side-eyed at flyover country yet writes this. Total ignorance written by a clown a 1,000 miles away.

Reaction Score
This is a chicken and the egg problem. Rarely does a half-assed job pay dividends. We are competing against new venues that are dropping big $$. Yet, Hartford/CR has no professional team that will draw. The Yard Goats has worked out because it’s a great venue and has managed to sustain interest with low price points and cheeky minor league baseball entertainment shtick. Job 1 ought to be getting an NHL franchise in town that will anchor a real investment in a top tier facility. Also, building a downtown residential population has to be prioritized. Tough problem, but thinking big is likely to work out more than apply band aides.

Reaction Score
This guy gets the vapors when anyone looks side-eyed at flyover country yet writes this. Total ignorance written by a clown a 1,000 miles away.
Yikes

Reaction Score
I have been in top, the stairs are dangerous, small and straight up but doesn’t give you better view. If you drink before game, hold onto everything. Cheering makes me nervous, fall over people, it’s going to happen. Too steep on top.

Reaction Score
This is a chicken and the egg problem. Rarely does a half-assed job pay dividends. We are competing against new venues that are dropping big $$. Yet, Hartford/CR has no professional team that will draw. The Yard Goats has worked out because it’s a great venue and has managed to sustain interest with low price points and cheeky minor league baseball entertainment shtick. Job 1 ought to be getting an NHL franchise in town that will anchor a real investment in a top tier facility. Also, building a downtown residential population has to be prioritized. Tough problem, but thinking big is likely to work out more than apply band aides.
Neither the Rangers nor the Bruins will let that happen.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to spend the money to build a new one. The economics of building a new arena in a city like Hartford, without a major professional team as the anchor tenant, just doesn't work. Unless a government entity wants to subsidize the construction of a new arena. And we all know that's not happening in Connecticut.
True. It's a big problem
We don't have an NHL team to justify building a brand new arena
They want UConn to play in Hartford so they need an arena in Hartford
We could build a brand new basketball arena if UConn needs to play in Hartford, but then you have the Wolfpack
So they'll keep throwing money at the old gray mare instead of solving the problem

They should figure out a way to have a new state of the art arena in Hartford for UConn Athletics, the Wolfpack, Concerts, and other indoor sporting events. Get professional indoor Lacrosse and soccer teams. If they can't figure out a way to pay for it and keep it busy, cut bait.

Reaction Score
I have been in top, the stairs are dangerous, small and straight up but doesn’t give you better view. If you drink before game, hold onto everything. Cheering makes me nervous, fall over people, it’s going to happen. Too steep on top.
I was up in the last row when I was 16. I got wobbly at first due to the height and steep drop. I remember thinking, “How is this legal?” Once I was up there a couple minutes I was fine, but I knew it was a real hazard to drunk and/or old people.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In part the XL subsidy is in reality welfare for the surrounding businesses that rely on it for traffic. And in turn, the owners of those buildings would lose rent, lowering the values of the entire area around the XL.

Frankly all I want is a well-lit court, a little leg room and short lines in restrooms.
Stay well clear of Gampel then. XL has them beat on your three metrics, so I guess that is a plus?

Reaction Score
True. It's a big problem
We don't have an NHL team to justify building a brand new arena
They want UConn to play in Hartford so they need an arena in Hartford
We could build a brand new basketball arena if UConn needs to play in Hartford, but then you have the Wolfpack
So they'll keep throwing money at the old gray mare instead of solving the problem

They should figure out a way to have a new state of the art arena in Hartford for UConn Athletics, the Wolfpack, Concerts, and other indoor sporting events. Get professional indoor Lacrosse and soccer teams. If they can't figure out a way to pay for it and keep it busy, cut bait.
If this is an effort to supersede Gampel, then I think that hurts the program and is unfair to the on campus students and the players.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I honestly don’t care what else they do as long as they get a new dehumidifying system to keep moisture off the court.

Reaction Score
"It will include premium loge seating, a relocated upgraded concert stage and IT upgrades."

It's only 10,387 capacity but they built Wintrust Arena in Chicago for $173 million and it's very good looking from the outside and it's comfortable on the inside, not a bad seat in the house.

$145 million for this seems insane.

Reaction Score
It's only 10,387 capacity but they built Wintrust Arena in Chicago for $173 million and it's very good looking from the outside and it's comfortable on the inside, not a bad seat in the house.

$145 million for this seems insane.
True, but they started construction in 2015. Those costs would likely be significantly more today.

Reaction Score
True, but they started construction in 2015. Those costs would likely be significantly more today.
Yes but is the plan for the Civic Center/XL to be there forever? It's 50 years old. At some point you gotta cut bait on it, construction costs will always go up.

Reaction Score
Plus Chicago is cheaper for construction than Hartford. At least that was my experience 20 years ago with office tower construction.

Has the CRDA recently estimated what it would cost to build a new 15,000 seat arena in Hartford? I have to imagine it's upwards of $800 million to $1 billion when all is said and done. That's also assuming they don't start for 5-10 years since even if they had the money part figured out it would take forever to get the project off the ground.

Reaction Score
145 million is enough for what? A few speakers and an extra urinal? Seems pointless.
Are there actually more urinals as part of this though? I've been an XL season ticket holder for at least 15 years and the only thing I really want is to be able to go to the men's room and get a beer at halftime without getting back to my seat at the under-16 timeout.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Are there actually more urinals as part of this though? I've been an XL season ticket holder for at least 15 years and the only thing I really want is to be able to go to the men's room and get a beer at halftime without getting back to my seat at the under-16 timeout.
What's always worked for me is hitting the head at the 4-minute media timeout. You beat the rush and get back before play restarts. Save halftime for the beer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you really want arena renovation envy, just look up the PNC Arena scope of renovations and investment by the Carolina Hurricanes…

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What's always worked for me is hitting the head at the 4-minute media timeout. You beat the rush and get back before play restarts. Save halftime for the beer.

Or, hit the bathroom at the under 4, hang around somewhere without going back to your seat, and go straight to the beer when buzzer sounds.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thoroughly enjoying AD Dave dunking on people on Twitter over this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom