UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track

Reaction Score
It really needs to be leveled and started from scratch. It is ugly and outdated, just an abomination on the outside. Some architecture is worth saving but this building is not one of them.

That said, look what they did with the Perelli Building in New Haven. It's a much more unique building despite the brutalist design.

Nobody wants to spend the money to build a new one. The economics of building a new arena in a city like Hartford, without a major professional team as the anchor tenant, just doesn't work. Unless a government entity wants to subsidize the construction of a new arena. And we all know that's not happening in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
How will lower bowl Season ticket holders in "forever seats" be accommodated when they lose their seats?
That may not be affected be affected as Ticketmaster now has the contract for all events except UConn sports. But you did a nice job of looking for the downside a positive development.

Reaction Score
Nobody wants to spend the money to build a new one. The economics of building a new arena in a city like Hartford, without a major professional team as the anchor tenant, just doesn't work. Unless a government entity wants to subsidize the construction of a new arena. And we all know that's not happening in Connecticut.
So keep dumping money into it forever? These buildings have a shelf life. At some point they'll need a new arena and construction costs are only going up and it's a lot of money to be dumping into a decaying building.

Reaction Score
So keep dumping money into it forever? These buildings have a shelf life. At some point they'll need a new arena and construction costs are only going up and it's a lot of money to be dumping into a decaying building.
The money or political will is not there for a new arena. I know this is a message board, but let's inject some reality into this thread.

Reaction Score
Tell this to the Red Sox owners. Their building is twice as old and they keep pumping money into it. What about the baseball stadium near you?

I'm going to guess that Hartford will not get a new arena during our lifetime.

If they're going to build a new arena, you tell me realistically who is going to fund it.

Reaction Score
Tell this to the Red Sox owners. Their building is twice as old and they keep pumping money into it. What about the baseball stadium near you?

I'm going to guess that Hartford will not get a new arena during our lifetime.

If they're going to build a new arena, you tell me realistically who is going to fund it.
Are you really comparing the XL Center to Fenway and Wrigley? Why not compare it to MSG too while you're at it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm going to guess that Hartford will not get a new arena during our lifetime. Who is going to fund it?
The same people who fund waive after waive of "renovation", the taxpayers... if it happens.

Reaction Score
Are you really comparing the XL Center to Fenway and Wrigley? Why not compare it to MSG too while you're at it?
Why are they that different? Fenway is a dump, it's uncomfortable to watch a game there, there are a lot of obstructed seats, but some people love it because it's quirky and old. Both Fenway and Wrigley are over 100 years old and still there. MSG went through a major renovation but they have much better tenancy than the XL Center so numbers could work. If Hartford had major professional hockey and basketball teams I'm sure the numbers would work.

The Sox actually tried to build a new stadium in the late 1990s but couldn't find enough land and couldn't come up with enough money to make it work without public subsidies. And Massachusetts, similar to sentiments in Connecticut, refused to provide public subsidies.

You didn't answer my question. Realistically who is going to fund a new arena? You can kick and scream Hartford needs a new arena, but it isn't happening. At least not in either of our lifetimes.

Reaction Score
Why are they that different? Fenway is a dump, it's uncomfortable to watch a game there, there are a lot of obstructed seats, but some people love it because it's quirky and old. Both Fenway and Wrigley are over 100 years old and still there. MSG went through a major renovation but they have much better tenancy than the XL Center so numbers could work. If Hartford had major professional hockey and basketball teams I'm sure the numbers would work.

The Sox actually tried to build a new stadium in the late 1990s but couldn't find enough land and couldn't come up with enough money to make it work without public subsidies. And Massachusetts, similar to sentiments in Connecticut, refused to provide public subsidies.

You didn't answer my question. Realistically who is going to fund a new arena? You can kick and scream Hartford needs a new arena, but it isn't happening. At least not in either of our lifetimes.
Why are they that different? They're two of the most iconic stadiums in the history of sports and an integral part of the fabric of two of the most popular and historic cities. People in those cities, those regions, and fans around the country would be extremely upset if either stadium were demolished.

XL center is a dumpy stadium in an old dumpy mall in a decaying and dead city. It represents the decay of the city and nobody would miss it if it was demolished.

Wrigley and Fenway make tons of money for their teams and cities. UConn actually loses money playing in the XL Center.

Reaction Score
Just call it $800M to $1B because this state has no clue how to choose good contracting companies and the costs will balloon. Lots of short sighted decisions.

And if the state is spending $1B on an arena, they better be doing it in downtown Hartford and better have a concrete plan to bring a hockey team here.

Downtown arenas work in cities with a large urban population. Downtown Harford is a ghost town on weekends and nights because it's mostly corporate worksites. You are right that politically it has to be in downtown Hartford. Just find out who holds the mortgages on the surrounding neighborhood.

I can drive to Hartford at night. Storrs is a road (or 3) too far. So while I'd rather see an arena outside Hartford with easy parking I'm happy I get to see 6 or 7 games.

Reaction Score
Why are they that different? They're two of the most iconic stadiums in the history of sports and an integral part of the fabric of two of the most popular and historic cities. People in those cities, those regions, and fans around the country would be extremely upset if either stadium were demolished.

XL center is a dumpy stadium in an old dumpy mall in a decaying and dead city. It represents the decay of the city and nobody would miss it if it was demolished.

Wrigley and Fenway make tons of money for their teams and cities. UConn actually loses money playing in the XL Center.
O.K that's all fair. But the previous Sox owners did try to build a new stadium in the late 1990s and not too many people were upset about seeing Fenway go. It's over 100 years old so doesn't it have a shelf life also?

We both know Hartford isn't getting a new arena in our lifetimes so it's not even worth discussing. Unless of course some UConn fan wants to write a really big check for hundreds of millions of dollars. Anyone want to volunteer? :)

Reaction Score
Downtown arenas work in cities with a large urban population.
I'll add one caveat to that. Ones with major tenants who use the arena for a lot of dates a year. I actually peripherally worked with the Celtics owners about 10-15 years ago when their lease at the TD Garden (owned by the Bruins) was coming to the end. They were trying to determine if a new arena for the Celtics could work. Even with 1 major professional franchise as the anchor tenant the economics didn't work. You'd have the Celtics for 50+/- dates a year. But then all the concerts, etc. would be split with the TD Garden and there just weren't enough dates to make a new arena financially feasible. Without public subsidies of course and that wasn't happening in Massachusetts.

Reaction Score
O.K that's all fair. But the previous Sox owners did try to build a new stadium in the late 1990s and not too many people were upset about seeing Fenway go. It's over 100 years old so doesn't it have a shelf life also?

We both know Hartford isn't getting a new arena in our lifetimes so it's not even worth discussing. Unless of course some UConn fan wants to write a really big check for hundreds of millions of dollars. Anyone want to volunteer? :)
You seem to be advocating for dumping money into the dump forever, just because that's what the state is choosing to do doesn't make it right. If you haven't noticed basically every decision the state has ever made regarding Hartford is a terrible decision.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the posters here. Downtown Hartford is pretty much a dead zone. Most companies are requiring workers to return to work 3 days....most working Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and leave at 5:00. Parking is really the only constant money maker in Hartford .

Not to be completely negative. I went to Jazz fest and that was fantastic. Pratt Street showing some life and Yard Goats run a great operation.

There definitely are some good things going on...but relying on XL Center to revive Hartford is a long shot.

Reaction Score
You seem to be advocating for dumping money into the dump forever, just because that's what the state is choosing to do doesn't make it right. If you haven't noticed basically every decision the state has ever made regarding Hartford is a terrible decision.
Can't argue with that!

And I'm not advocating for anything. Just saying there's no way Hartford is getting a new arena anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the posters here. Downtown Hartford is pretty much a dead zone. Most companies are requiring workers to return to work 3 days....most working Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and leave at 5:00. Parking is really the only constant money maker in Hartford .

Not to be completely negative. I went to Jazz fest and that was fantastic. Pratt Street showing some life and Yard Goats run a great operation.

There definitely are some good things going on...but relying on XL Center to revive Hartford is a long shot.
Capitol Groove was great!

Reaction Score

In part the XL subsidy is in reality welfare for the surrounding businesses that rely on it for traffic. And in turn, the owners of those buildings would lose rent, lowering the values of the entire area around the XL.

Frankly all I want is a well-lit court, a little leg room and short lines in restrooms.

Reaction Score
Great news. Hopefully has some locker room upgrades for the boys and space for more banners

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom