UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UPDATE: XL upgrades back on track

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
At least you haters aren't trying sell the nonsense that UConn loses money playing in Hartford anymore. It's shifted to "they don't make as much money."
We’re definitely leaving some money on the table with concessions and parking, but we’re not in the red by any means in Hartford.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We’re definitely leaving some money on the table with concessions and parking, but we’re not in the red by any means in Hartford.
But how much? Over $150K? Because 5,000 extra seats brings in at least that much more per game, not even including the seat donation money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This wasn't about money though, it's in response to a statement about the impact of the sheer number of UConn fans being able to enjoy the games. This was the post that started it:

"I think fans here that don't go to games underestimate the damage to the program that playing all the games in Gampel would bring for no appreciable benefit. Every game in Gampel means 5000 fewer fans can enjoy the team in person. Less chance for the next generation of fans to develop."
Like you, probably, I can remember when all Connecticut games were sold out. I'm not sure that that's damaging to the fan base.

CL82

Reaction Score
But how much? Over $150K? Because 5,000 extra seats brings in at least that much more per game, not even including the seat donation money.
Well, keep in mind that the existing Gampel seat licenses are only for half the games. If there was some reason to abandon the XL center, say Some kind of structural issue that needed to have work done for a season or something, I would imagine that we would offer two sets of tickets at Gampel. Group could be the current Gampel take it holders and group B could be the current XL ticket holders.

I know you love to make this point, but I'm not sure it's a valid one, except to the extent that seat licenses, exceed the capacity of Gampel.

CL82

Reaction Score
At least you haters aren't trying sell the nonsense that UConn loses money playing in Hartford anymore. It's shifted to "they don't make as much money."
Lol, is Dave Benedict an XL hater in your view, because he's the guy who made the point. When your program is running in a deficit, lost revenue matters.

Reaction Score
That's a fair point. As long as we are selling out at the Excel center we are making roughly the same amount of money as a sellout at Gampel Arena.
Excel Center? The arena is sponsored by XL Insurance (Insurance), not Microsoft.

Gampel Arena? It's been known as Gampel Pavilion for over 30 years.

You need to stop using the voice to text application. It's definitely going to get you in trouble one day. ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
Excel Center? The arena is sponsored by XL Insurance (Insurance), not Microsoft.

Gampel Arena? It's been known as Gampel Pavilion for over 30 years.

You need to stop using the voice to text application. It's definitely going to get you in trouble one day. ;)
You, sir, and I say this with love, are a dick. ;)

Full House Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Well, keep in mind that the existing Gampel seat licenses are only for half the games. If there was some reason to abandon the XL center, say Some kind of structural issue that needed to have work done for a season or something, I would imagine that we would offer two sets of tickets at Gampel. Group could be the current Gampel take it holders and group B could be the current XL ticket holders.

I know you love to make this point, but I'm not sure it's a valid one, except to the extent that seat licenses, exceed the capacity of Gampel.
If we had to temporarily close XL all season ticket holders wouldn't even fit inside Gampel. According to CT Insider last year we had 8,174 season tickets at Gampel and 10,812 at XL. This year both venues are essentially sold out via season tickets alone.

This is likely why the XL renovations are working around the basketball season so not to force any games away from the venue.

CL82

Reaction Score
If we had to temporarily close XL all season ticket holders wouldn't even fit inside Gampel. According to CT Insider last year we had 8,174 season tickets at Gampel and 10,812 at XL. This year both venues are essentially sold out via season tickets alone.

This is likely why the XL renovations are working around the basketball season so not to force any games away from the venue.
Remember that both the Gampel and XL season ticket holders hold tickets for only a portion of the season, i.e. only for the games that are held in those specific venues. So, theoretically, you could have two sets of season-ticket holders at Gampel. One set could be for the Gampel games in one could be for the games that would have been at XL. The only people who would lose out on this would be the roughly 300 of XL season-ticket holders who exceeded the capacity at Gampel. But that assumes that 100% of the XL season take it holders would want to be season-ticket holders at Gampel which isn't a certainty.

All that is theoretical, obviously. In practice, as you point out, any renovation would be done during the off-season.

Reaction Score
Remember that both the Gampel and XL season ticket holders hold tickets for only a portion of the season, i.e. only for the games that are held in those specific venues. So, theoretically, you could have two sets of season-ticket holders at Gampel. One set could be for the Gampel games in one could be for the games that would have been at XL. The only people who would lose out on this would be the roughly 300 of XL season-ticket holders who exceeded the capacity at Gampel. But that assumes that 100% of the XL season take it holders would want to be season-ticket holders at Gampel which isn't a certainty.

All that is theoretical, obviously. In practice, as you point out, any renovation would be done during the off-season.
Also how many have both. I would assume a good amount of people who have Gampel have Hartford

Reaction Score

This isn't true once you factor in things like students, band, visiting-team seating, athletic dept. tickets, recruits etc., unless you only want to have them at half the games.

UConn had 5,091 public-sale Gampel season-ticket holders last season with a total number of 8,174 categorized as season tickets, so that difference of 3,000+ fans for the venue seems to be a fixed number of the groups I mentioned above. For XL last year, those numbers were 9,083 public-sale & 10,812 total (assume the smaller difference is primarily student section) and that XL public-sale number is already way up for the upcoming season.

AD David Benedict says both arenas will be fully sold-out from season-ticket holders so even if we very conservatively say that means say 11,000-12,000 XL season ticket holders plus that 3,000 fixed tickets, we are talking about thousands per game above Gampel's capacity.

And that's before things like telling fans with lower-bowl seasons at XL that their seats actually translate to upper-level at Gampel (but please keep your current donation!) and that end-zone/corner lowers are now upper corners because students have that entire side at Gampel.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
This isn't true once you factor in things like students, band, visiting-team seating, athletic dept. tickets, recruits etc., unless you only want to have them at half the games.

UConn had 5,091 public-sale Gampel season-ticket holders last season with a total number of 8,174 categorized as season tickets, so that difference of 3,000+ fans for the venue seems to be a fixed number of the groups I mentioned above. For XL last year, those numbers were 9,083 public-sale & 10,812 total (assume the smaller difference is primarily student section) and that XL public-sale number is already way up for the upcoming season.

AD David Benedict says both arenas will be fully sold-out from season-ticket holders so even if we very conservatively say that means 11,000-12,000 XL season ticket holders plus that 3,000 fixed tickets, we are talking about thousands per game above Gampel's capacity.

And that's before things like telling fans with lower-bowl seasons at XL that their seats actually translate to upper-level at Gampel (but please keep your current donation!) and that end-zone/corner lowers are now upper corners because students have that entire side at Gampel.
All fair points.

Reaction Score
I think fans here that don't go to games underestimate the damage to the program that playing all the games in Gampel would bring for no appreciable benefit. Every game in Gampel means 5000 fewer fans can enjoy the team in person. Less chance for the next generation of fans to develop.
I'll never be in those last 5000 seats at the XL. Those sight lines don't interest me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Now I want to see this just to see the notional split between what would have been XL games and what would have been Gampel games. Because no one would cry foul over that decision.

CL82

Reaction Score
Now I want to see this just to see the notional split between what would have been XL games and what would have been Gampel games. Because no one would cry foul over that decision.
Because people never complain about the split now? People complain, it's what they do.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
But if we are being fair those people don’t move the needle in the grand scheme of things for the program
Some of those fans who have those seats are the best fans I know.

Guys that got screwed off the Final Four school-distributed tickets, still traveled to AZ/TX, and paid 3x more than me for a seat 3000 ft up at the last two Final Fours.

After our AAC days when we were watching our team build a house of bricks at a rim in front of 5,500 at Gampel, I can firmly say with confidence that every fan matters and every seat filled matters. Creates so much energy it’s immeasurable.

Reaction Score
Some of those fans who have those seats are the best fans I know.

Guys that got screwed off the Final Four school-distributed tickets, still traveled to AZ/TX, and paid 3x more than me for a seat 3000 ft up at the last two Final Fours.

After our AAC days when we were watching our team build a house of bricks at a rim in front of 5,500 at Gampel, I can firmly say with confidence that every fan matters and every seat filled matters. Creates so much energy it’s immeasurable.
I didn’t mean it in a way that way. I was just saying in reference to XL having 5,000 more seats to make them more money. UConn would definitely make more money at Gampel.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All conference home games need to be at Gampel
The XL/Civic Center should be for Christmas break games and a few national high level out of conference games.
If revenue is a huge issue (as always!) then figure a way to expand seating at Gampel.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I didn’t mean it in a way that way. I was just saying in reference to XL having 5,000 more seats to make them more money. UConn would definitely make more money at Gampel.
I think the difference between 5,000 more at XL (even with the $3 ticket fee) UConn makes more off ticket sales at XL if both arenas are sold out.

The logistical costs we aren’t privy to is what we’re missing. We lose out on concessions and parking at XL, but we also have to pay arena employees at Gampel which eats costs. So to answer the debate, no one knows the true numbers except for the athletic dept.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom