Up to #5 on KenPom | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Up to #5 on KenPom

Reaction Score
How would we not be on the 4 line minimum after this game? I know we gotta keep winning, but it seems absurd that our resume doesn’t have us there at this point.
It only comes out once a week. Probably next Monday so we must beat the Johnnies

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Forget the seeding talk for a minute; if we play like this in March, we're going to the Sweet 16. I like our odds from there.

I'm super high but I know I giggled about it. Who deleted the first response to this thread? Something like "Lets print the t-shirts now".

Identify yourself. Why would you delete such a perfect response to @Rico444 's post?

Reaction Score
I'm super high but I know I giggled about it. Who deleted the first response to this thread? Something like "Lets print the t-shirts now".

Identify yourself. Why would you delete such a perfect response to @Rico444 's post?
it was me, felt like bad mojo

I'm not superstitious but I am a little stitous

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd expect us to be up to #8 in NET also. Leaving us out of the top 4 seed line, out of Albany, or even out of NYC would be ludicrous.
Just based on geography and the other teams in the picture, if we get a top-4 seed (so, protected), we're virtually guaranteed Albany.

Unfortunately unless we get up to maybe the top 3 (number 9 in the S-curve, so we'd have first region pick on that seed line), we're unlikely to get MSG due to bracket principles and the glutton of Big 12 teams in the top-16 picture that will have to be spaced out.

Reaction Score
There might be some fair criticisms about Hurley’s performance in close games over the years, along with a KenPom luck factor so low it might not be luck, but we’d better give him credit for his team absolutely pounding multiple quality opponents this season. I didn’t anticipate blowout wins over so many tournament teams this year. He’s doing something right.
Thank You. We absolutely hammer teams. A lousy couch doesn't do that on the regular to decent teams. We are not winning in spite of him. That narrative is so lazy and even seems to have an odd agenda. So weird. He is helping us when we have nights like this. He deserves credit for the blowouts in our favor if he gets the blame for the close losses. He's not close to perfect but he is ours and the dudes kind of a fighter. Ok to criticize him. He makes mistakes for sure. In no way a heavyweight yet. With that said, tonight was an event. Fun night. Things are better. Not JC better but better. Yeah, let's throw that away for what's behind door #3. Hard Pass.

Reaction Score
We absolutely hammer teams. A lousy coach doesn't do that on the regular to decent teams. We are not winning in spite of him. That narrative is so lazy and even seems to have an odd agenda.
Yup.

College teams have ups and downs, and almost no game will be flawless basketball (particularly in this era of parity). But when we are “on,” we are arguably the best team in the nation (and that’s not an accident that Hurley fell into). We have shown that repeatedly now, and we have also shown now that the January slump was just that. The only remaining question is whether we’ll be “on” when it counts - which would always be a question even if we had only 2-3 losses right now.

In my opinion Hurley’s biggest failure this season was allowing an emotional letdown against St Johns after our brutal 4 game stretch.

Also missing the Seton Hall game was just awful timing. Say whatever you want about our coaching, having your head and assistant coaches present for a road game against a tough defensive team is worth at least the 1 point we lost by.

Those two losses changed the perception of the entire season. But they didn’t actually change the reality. Which is exactly why the computer rankings don’t match up with that perception.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yup.

College teams have ups and downs, and almost no game will be flawless basketball (particularly in this era of parity). But when we are “on,” we are arguably the best team in the nation (and that’s not an accident that Hurley fell into). We have shown that repeatedly now, and we have also shown now that the January slump was just that. The only remaining question is whether we’ll be “on” when it counts - which would always be a question even if we had only 2-3 losses right now.

In my opinion Hurley’s biggest failure this season was allowing an emotional letdown against St Johns after our brutal 4 game stretch.

Also missing the Seton Hall game was just awful timing. Say whatever you want about our coaching, having your head and assistant coaches present for a road game against a tough defensive team is worth at least the 1 point we lost by.

Those two losses changed the perception of the entire season. But they didn’t actually change the reality. Which is exactly why the computer rankings don’t match up with that perception.

Well said.

Some of the comments here are absolutely delusional. Love the enthusiasm, but seriously ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup.

Great post. Spot on.

Reaction Score
UPDATE: 2/23/2023

7 NET (moved up 2 spots last night, which is hard to do this time of year)
5 KenPom
5 BPI (also moved up to 2 spots)
7 Sagarin
Yet somehow the committee is playing selective favorites with the metrics and eye test only when it comes to one school, and that's UConn. We should be on the 3 seed line right now, with a real shot at a 2.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
WINNING takes care of everything

If we win out, including the BET, we're a three at the very worst. The whole country has multiple losses, and I'm pretty sure everyone has a bad loss or two as well. Win out, we soar

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yet somehow the committee is playing selective favorites with the metrics and eye test only when it comes to one school, and that's UConn. We should be on the 3 seed line right now, with a real shot at a 2.

On paper UConn just avenged a loss to a team that was lower ranked, at home. There's still work to do to make up for the stretch of losses.

Beating St. John's needs to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom