Up to #5 on KenPom | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Up to #5 on KenPom

Reaction Score
We are being compared to the BE teams above us in the standings. We haven't swept any of them and were swept by Xaiver. Hard to argue a Top 4 when you have 4 teams who beat you ahead of you in your own league and none of those are even in the discission for a #1.

Metrics aside, we need to show the Committee we are better than those four if we want to jump above them on the
S-curve.

Will need to beat whichever of the 4 we get in the BET. If we don't get matched up with Marquette or PC, we can assume the Committee will rely on our better metrics if we close the regular season 3-0. Probably the same for Creighton but wil will likely see one or more in MSG. That will settle any argument.
This is true…the problem is none of the other Big East teams had anywhere near the OOC resume that we did. That still has to have value, even if it’s only 40% or so of the overall resume. If other Big East teams get a “pass” for playing poorly in Nov/Dec, we should certainly get a pass for our tough stretch in January. The reality is we lost 2 games we shouldn’t have and one of them we lead for 39.5 minutes on the road without our head coach. Hurley has pointed it out numerous times but the start of our Big East schedule was basically playing every top team in the league on the road. No other BE team had anything close to that. If our schedule was flipped and we played PC, X and Marquette all at home first we may have continued to roll. It’s all hindsight, I’d rather have a January skid and come out playing better in Feb/March, so although our record has a couple extra blemishes on it, I think we’ll look back on that rough stretch as a huge growth opportunity for our team. If we can win at SJU and at Nova I’ll be convinced that we can make a run in March.

Reaction Score
Need to root for:

Xavier (35) - To climb to top 30.
Providence (40) - To climb to top 30.
Oklahoma St (43) - To climb to top 30.

Oregon (50) - Stay top 50.

Seton Hall (71) - Stay top 75. But not by beating us.
Villanova (82) - Climb top 75. But not by beating us.

Reaction Score
Also root for PC (gulp)
I have found this to be easier lately. His latest comments notwithstanding, I like Cooley as a personality. I think their style represents our region well and they are fun to watch with lots of close games.

That said, I hate losing to them more than any other team.

Reaction Score
We are being compared to the BE teams above us in the standings. We haven't swept any of them and were swept by Xaiver. Hard to argue a Top 4 when you have 4 teams who beat you ahead of you in your own league and none of those are even in the discission for a #1.

Metrics aside, we need to show the Committee we are better than those four if we want to jump above them on the
S-curve.

Will need to beat whichever of the 4 we get in the BET. If we don't get matched up with Marquette or PC, we can assume the Committee will rely on our better metrics if we close the regular season 3-0. Probably the same for Creighton but wil will likely see one or more in MSG. That will settle any argument.
The selection committee explicitly stated that they do not look at Conference standings.

Reaction Score
I have found this to be easier lately. His latest comments notwithstanding, I like Cooley as a personality. I think their style represents our region well and they are fun to watch with lots of close games.

That said, I hate losing to them more than any other team.
The “Good Guy” Persona is wearing off really fast. It started with Corey Floyd. These comments came across as “jealous” and “bitter”. I don’t care for Cooley half as much as others do

Reaction Score
we really need to win out. our conference record has to be the only thing keeping us off the 4 line. finishing 13-7 coupled with the advanced metrics makes us look much, much better.
People will point to the SOS either way but you’re right

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just funny for all the grief and aggravation directed towards Hurley, you look up and we've split with PC, Marquette, Creighton and really only have two "bad" losses on the season.

He obviously needs to win in March but having the offense run through Hawkins as opposed to dumping it down low to Sanogo has actually improved both of them. Alleyene showing some signs of life to give us some perimeter scoring when Hawkins sits could be an X factor the rest of the way too.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The “Good Guy” Persona is wearing off really fast. It started with Corey Floyd. These comments came across as “jealous” and “bitter”. I don’t care for Cooley half as much as others do
My best guess is the people he’s friendly with(Media members, his players, recruits) get different treatment than the people he’s trying to beat. That’s why it’s good to suck up to the national media guys, they’ll do a lot of heavy lifting for your public image. I’m guessing Big East coaches would have a different take on his approach. But I’m sure Hurley isn’t anyone’s favorite either.

Reaction Score
Yet somehow the committee is playing selective favorites with the metrics and eye test only when it comes to one school, and that's UConn. We should
UPDATE: 2/23/2023

7 NET (moved up 2 spots last night, which is hard to do this time of year)
5 KenPom
5 BPI (also moved up to 2 spots)
7 Sagarin

be on the 3 seed line right now, with a real shot at a 2.
You can make a real argument with the computer rankings that we should be a 2 right now, with a shot at 1 if we win out.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Does anyone have access to Synergy? If so, PM me please. Trying to look up a Hawkins stat.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have access to Synergy? If so, PM me please. Trying to look up a Hawkins stat.
How many times hes been fouled this season while shooting a 3? I would like to know that too

Reaction Score
Same here Ant. Bloom is off the rose. I could be misremembering or mistaken but didn't he declare PC kings of New England or something lame when we were in the AAC? My favorite(not who I think is best) non-Hurley Big East coach is Shaka. Guy is just likeable.

Reaction Score
Same here Ant. Bloom is off the rose. I could be misremembering or mistaken but didn't he declare PC kings of New England or something lame when we were in the AAC? My favorite(not who I think is best) non-Hurley Big East coach is Shaka. Guy is just likeable.
I like Shaka as well

Reaction Score
How many times hes been fouled this season while shooting a 3? I would like to know that too
Believe it is up to 17 times now
I think it's 19 including 3 that were made (4-point play FT depending). Trying to look up some other people. There are 2 other people with 16 unmade, trying to see if they made more than 3.

Reaction Score
Need to root for:

Xavier (35) - To climb to top 30.
Providence (40) - To climb to top 30.
Oklahoma St (43) - To climb to top 30.

Oregon (50) - Stay top 50.

Seton Hall (71) - Stay top 75. But not by beating us.
Villanova (82) - Climb top 75. But not by beating us.
Xavier up to 25 - Now both losses are Q1

Seton Hall down to 78 - Now a Q2 loss and Q2 win (previously Q1 loss)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The selection committee explicitly stated that they do not look at Conference standings.

They are lying to you. Comparing teams with schedules that overlap by 60+% is exactly how the committee will view it. Especially when said teams are 3-4 games better than us over that similar schedule. They don't need to look directly at the standings for it to be a major factor.

Reaction Score
They are lying to you. Comparing teams with schedules that overlap by 60+% is exactly how the committee will view it. Especially when said teams are 3-4 games better than us over that similar schedule. They don't need to look directly at the standings for it to be a major factor.
Well, at the time of the top 16 reveal, Creighton and Providence were both several games ahead of us in the Big East standings. Creighton was one of the next four with us, and Providence wasn’t mentioned. Conference standings don’t appear to be the top criteria.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom