Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This is some very interesting manipulation of data. By going with average viewers, I presume that they are averaging the total of all broadcast games, including both football and basketball. That approach strongly favors FSU as a top football program with more games on broadcast tv.

I can’t help be struck by the irony of this list and the projections for income allocation according to it. Basically, it’s a coup by the other schools over Tobacco Road and especially Duke.

Reaction Score
This is some very interesting manipulation of data. By going with average viewers, I presume that they are averaging the total of all broadcast games, including both football and basketball. That approach strongly favors FSU as a top football program with more games on broadcast tv.

I can’t help be struck by the irony of this list and the projections for income allocation according to it. Basically, it’s a coup by the other schools over Tobacco Road and especially Duke.
Sound familiar?

Reaction Score
LONG SHOT: ESPN, ACC, And Pac-12 Talked About A Joint TV Deal. Could It Really Happen?

Not long after USC and UCLA left the Pac-12 for the Big Ten the ACC who has a history of not rushing into things wondered if there was a chance, they might be the next conference that would be poached. The rumors began back then that Clemson and Florida State were not happy with the ever-growing gap between the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC.

ACC commissioner Jim Phillips and Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff met to talk about the future and how both conferences might work out a way they could keep their members happy. Enter an unlikely partner to these conversations a couple of program executives from ESPN.

Some in the conference were upset that not only were they far behind the Big Ten and SEC, but they were not that far ahead of the Big 12. Meanwhile, out West, the Pac-12 was fending the Big-12 who is ready to poach members while wondering if the Big Ten would snag a couple more of schools to join with UCLA and USC.

So, the ACC and the Pac-12 began to look at ways they could perhaps form a partnership that could gain the dollars needed to keep their members happy enough to stay put and not bolt to another conference.

The Sports Illustrated reporting team of Ross Dellenger and Pat Forde was the duo that broke the story about the conversations and what was discussed by the group. There would not be a merger or an alliance but a proposed partnership where the ESPN-owned ACC Network — or a renamed entity combining the two leagues — has exclusive rights to air Pac-12 games to West Coast through multiple ESPN cable providers. The deal between the Pac-12 and the ACC would be a media rights agreement and likely take the place of the existing Pac-12 Network.

So, why would ESPN COULD want this partnership for the ACC and the Pac-12 happen?

The ACC Network has at present about 48 million subscribers and could benefit from the number of homes they could add in Arizona, California, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

The ACC Network is a revenue share deal with both sides equal 50–50 partners, meaning they boost ad prices for spots on Pac-12 games airing on the network, plus they get a monthly cable fee that could be boosted. Add to that putting some of the content on ESPN+ where again revenue can be shared the network keeps the present contract intact but can generate more cash with premier programming.

If ever came to pass it would solve a couple of problems first the ACC could by money generated from network exposure add money to their ESPN deal while Pac-12 would benefit by getting enough cash to satisfy their members in hopes of keeping the conference from losing members to the rival Big 12. Both the ACC’s Phillips and the Pac-12’s Kliavkof believed the idea had merit but knew it would take a great deal of time to pull together plus there would be plenty of hurdles to overcome.

A partnership could take a year or more to work out and there are plenty of things that could kill it before it ever made to the vote by the members. But when you are under attack you go off script and that is what the ACC and Pac-12 are doing.

Reaction Score
Could be that the ACCN is relatively new (compared to the 8 year data)...

ACCN was only launched in August 2019 with Comcast on board in 2021...

BUT...When I look at data from Big Ten Network, the audience numbers are small enough to not move any ranking...I would guess that the ACCN is similar.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Diana Prince Popcorn GIF

Reaction Score
It’s hard to say how that would work. BC has stunk, but they are probably a bigger brand than Wake Forest. Wake has actually been pretty good on the field though. Anyway, it seems like after FSU, Clemson and maybe UNC, it would be tough to establish who is worth what.
I don’t think Wake or BC is a brand at all. A brand is something that when you see it coming up on TV, you think about watching it. I’m no marketer, just a guy who watches sports. When I flick on the College Football line up on Xfinity, and I see Wake vs. North Carolina coming up at 3:30 on the ACC network, I don’t care. I’m not interested. Not one bit. And ESPN knows that. Wake and North Carolina are not football brands. The only games I might watch in the ACC are FSU, Clemmy, and Miami. And Miami only to watch the futility, it’s a negative kind of watch. Miami has nothing going on. FSU and Clem, you watch for the energy, the insane crowd, the same reason I love watching Alabama, Georgia, LSU, sometimes FL, South Carolina, Tennessee. It’s the energy, stupid. It’s all about energy. You don’t get that at NC, Wake, UVA, or anywhere else. The energy sweeps you up. The talent. Penn State, Mich, OSU, USC UCLA. That’s where the energy is. Energy = eyeballs. ESPN knows that. CBS knows that.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Wake or BC is a brand at all. A brand is something that when you see it coming up on TV, you think about watching it. I’m no marketer, just a guy who watches sports. When I flick on the College Football line up on Xfinity, and I see Wake vs. North Carolina coming up at 3:30 on the ACC network, I don’t care. I’m not interested. Not one bit. And ESPN knows that. Wake and North Carolina are not football brands. The only games I might watch in the ACC are FSU, Clemmy, and Miami. And Miami only to watch the futility, it’s a negative kind of watch. Miami has nothing going on. FSU and Clem, you watch for the energy, the insane crowd, the same reason I love watching Alabama, Georgia, LSU, sometimes FL, South Carolina, Tennessee. It’s the energy, stupid. It’s all about energy. You don’t get that at NC, Wake, UVA, or anywhere else. The energy sweeps you up. The talent. Penn State, Mich, OSU, USC UCLA. That’s where the energy is. Energy = eyeballs. ESPN knows that. CBS knows that.
That’s fairly true, but there’s been great energy at UL, Rutgers and even UConn in the past. FSU was a morgue until Norvell turned it around. Energy can come and go.

Certain schools have brand recognition. UConn football is a media darling when it’s good. That’s because of the basketball brand. It creates a curiosity to see what the football team can do. I have no doubt UConn can add value to a good conference. I don’t think BC and Wake can.

Reaction Score
No. UConn does not have the “energy.” Just wrong. People see the UConn game coming up on TV, no interest. Just the truth. Not trying to piss you off. I see UConn coming on, I set the remind button in case I forget, but I don’t forget. I watch UConn all the time. I’m just talking about around the country. No interest. Just like I have no interest in Wake and NC. No interest in Arizona v. Washington football game coming up. Illinois v. Nebraska. Missouri v. Texas A&M. Need I go on? You get it. No interest. You might have it on but you’re not watching. No passion for any of that. Unfortunately, that’s UConn.

CL82

Reaction Score
1678250244768.png

Well, if you are not going to satisfy anyone, why do it? I guarantee you will make some/most people unhappy and there’s no way to restructure ACC distributions to keep the most profitable teams from leaving when the GOR is up.

Reaction Score
View attachment 84832

Well, if you are not going to satisfy anyone, why do it? I guarantee you will make some/most people unhappy and there’s no way to restructure ACC distributions to keep the most profitable teams from leaving when the GOR is up.
I agree - seems one way to do it is to add schools to the conference, keep existing revenue streams intact, and unevenly split the revenue from the new schools. Not sure if ESPN is down for that, though. Maybe it's a non- starter unless it includes ND football which will not happen.

Reaction Score
I agree - seems one way to do it is to add schools to the conference, keep existing revenue streams intact, and unevenly split the revenue from the new schools. Not sure if ESPN is down for that, though. Maybe it's a non- starter unless it includes ND football which will not happen.
This is what I wrote sometime last week. UConn will bring value with men's and women's hoops to their struggling ACC network. Workout a number, where UConn doesn't get a full share and they can split an amount that will quiet down some folks for some time.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is what I wrote sometime last week. UConn will bring value with men's and women's hoops to their struggling ACC network. Workout a number, where UConn doesn't get a full share and they can split an amount that will quiet down some folks for some time.
Not a bad idea, but tough to see the numbers working to any reasonable extent. Say the ACC deal is worth $35 million per school. Assume that basketball constitutes about 20% of that number, and it may be lower than that. That would mean the value of adding Connecticut basketball and Olympic sports would be roughly equal to $7 million, or more or less what the next big east deal is likely to bring. And it’s hard to see how you can carve off enough money off that $7 million to appease FSU and Clemson, and UNC…

Reaction Score
Not a bad idea, but tough to see the numbers working to any reasonable extent. Say the ACC deal is worth $35 million per school. Assume that basketball constitutes about 20% of that number, and it may be lower than that. That would mean the value of adding Connecticut basketball and Olympic sports would be roughly equal to $7 million, or more or less what the next big east deal is likely to bring. And it’s hard to see how you can carve off enough money off that $7 million to appease FSU and Clemson, and UNC…
It's really difficult to come up with some way to make it all work - even if UConn men's and women's basketball is worth $15m (which it just might be). You'd have to find another couple of schools with basketball value like us that could come in as well. Difficult.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's really difficult to come up with some way to make it all work - even if UConn men's and women's basketball is worth $15m (which it just might be). You'd have to find another couple of schools with basketball value like us that could come in as well. Difficult.
In many ways, I think we have more value to the big 10 because of the BTN. Connecticut is good across many sports. So not only would they get our men’s and women’s basketball and football content, they will also get an excellent baseball program, a very good hockey program, as well as men’s in women’s soccer, and a very good softball program. That’s a lot of content and content for which they would likely get a lot of Connecticut subscribers. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that there is any significant likelihood that we will be acquired by the Big Ten in the foreseeable future, I am just saying that having a good athletic department over a broad range of sports, allows us to bring more value to a conference like the Big Ten, which has a viable conference network. Also, the full value of a member is high enough that they could give Connecticut a partial share for an extended period of time and still have a meaningful number left over to be able to supplement the high value football programs.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't over think it. If they do away with divisions in football, they could bring in us in for all sports and not really upset anything at all or worry about adding any schools. They would have to convince ESPN to pay full share for UConn. Then they give UConn a set amount say for arguments sake, 23 million for the the next 13 years, and split the remainder of the full share as they see fit.

Very small chance of it happening, but they get the only school outside the P5, with any brand value, and they get shut the mouths up of the envious few schools that wished they could get out of the conference.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't over think it. If they do away with divisions in football, they could bring in us in for all sports and not really upset anything at all or worry about adding any schools. They would have to convince ESPN to pay full share for UConn. Then they give UConn a set amount say for arguments sake, 23 million for the the next 13 years, and split the remainder of the full share as they see fit.

Very small chance of it happening, but they get the only school outside the P5, with any brand value, and they get shut the mouths up of the envious few schools that wished they could get out of the conference.
Yes, that would be the way it would work but to feed multiple schools what they want (i.e. FSU, Clemson, UNC) it would take more than just UConn joining. In other words, those three schools wouldn't be happy enough from an incremental ~ $3 m each.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom