Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Uneven revenue distribution model picking up steam in the ACC? (The Clemson Insider)

Reaction Score
This is where I think these schools need to be. I'd love to know where ESPN is in all of this business? It's their property so they will have some say but if the rest of the conference says no and Clemson decides to test the ability to break the GOR and bolt, will they let it get to that??
Someone posted on the Dirt Burglars (Oklahoma) board the idea that ESPN would not want to lose these schools to the Big 10, so ESPN would facilitate their move to the SEC and continue to pay the ACC the same amount of money. By doing this, there would be no damages (or greatly reduced damages) to the ACC so no cause for legal action.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
So, assuming that this devolves into unequal shares, what pray tell is the benefit to joining a conference at all? If we were in the ACC, we'd likely be grouped with the Syracuse, GT, Wake, BCU slice. That means that we'd likely be getting similar money to what we get now as an independent. Long term, I do believe this whole reorganization of conferences is going to implode on itself. It will become too expensive to even keep the sport considering only about a couple dozen schools break even in their athletic departments now and a few more may join that if there is unequal revenue sharing. Loss of rivalries, travel expenses, multimillion dollar coaches, expansion of coaching staff, etc, will drive the breakups of these super leagues.

Let's face it. UConn is never going to win a national football championship. Our football schedule is not ever going to consist of all top 25 teams. At least as an independent we control some of our own destiny.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So, assuming that this devolves into unequal shares, what pray tell is the benefit to joining a conference at all? If we were in the ACC, we'd likely be grouped with the Syracuse, GT, Wake, BCU slice. That means that we'd likely be getting similar money to what we get now as an independent. Long term, I do believe this whole reorganization of conferences is going to implode on itself. It will become too expensive to even keep the sport considering only about a couple dozen schools break even in their athletic departments now and a few more may join that if there is unequal revenue sharing. Loss of rivalries, travel expenses, multimillion dollar coaches, expansion of coaching staff, etc, will drive the breakups of these super leagues.

Let's face it. UConn is never going to win a national football championship. Our football schedule is not ever going to consist of all top 25 teams. At least as an independent we control some of our own destiny.
We'd be making substantially more than what we make as an independent, even at the lower end of the sliding scale. We also would guarantee a schedule every year that doesn't need to consist of all MAC or Sun Belt or CUSA schools while hoping to land at least one P5. I'd take the ACC any day over our current status. It might seem nice now but it's going to very quickly dry up in terms of available games to play and we will see home schedules like our 2024 which consists of Army, FAU, Buffalo, and Georgia St as of right now. Toss in at least one FCS and that is probably it for our home slate.....I'd take ACC membership any day.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would imagine they would include North Carolina and Virginia as the schools to get a full share? Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina and Virginia are the most valuable properties in the ACC.

UNC
Viriginia
Georgia Tech

Florida State

Miami
Clemson

Clemson would not enjoy a revenue model based on reality.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone posted on the Dirt Burglars (Oklahoma) board the idea that ESPN would not want to lose these schools to the Big 10, so ESPN would facilitate their move to the SEC and continue to pay the ACC the same amount of money. By doing this, there would be no damages (or greatly reduced damages) to the ACC so no cause for legal action.
But that wouldn’t impact either the conveyance of the GOR or the exit fees.

Reaction Score
I'm morbidly curious as to how and why anyone would think BCU is a bigger brand than Wake Forest.
I think BC’s highs in football were probably a little higher and their name recognition is better. Not everyone even knows Wake is a great school nor do they know where it is. Again, I said probably. My point is, neither is worth much and even with Wake’s recent football success, I don’t think anyone really cares at all. The ACC made the mistake of investing in too many private schools. They should have gone with WVU, UConn and UL years ago. Those schools have captive audiences in their home markets.

Reaction Score
I think BC’s highs in football were probably a little higher and their name recognition is better. Not everyone even knows Wake is a great school nor do they know where it is. Again, I said probably. My point is, neither is worth much and even with Wake’s recent football success, I don’t think anyone really cares at all. The ACC made the mistake of investing in too many private schools. They should have gone with WVU, UConn and UL years ago. Those schools have captive audiences in their home markets.
Remember when they thought Swofford was a genius?

CL82

Reaction Score
Remember when they thought Swofford was a genius?
He gave them stability when they desperately needed it.

CL82

Reaction Score
He sold out the ACC to help his son make a deal at Raycom and earn a big promotion. His son was also instrumental in getting BC into the ACC, as he worked there at the time they were invited.
All true, but he still gave them stability when they needed it.

Reaction Score
FSU and Clemson account for 24% of the media agreement per FSU AD Alford.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The GOR is a different issue. I am as a lawyer where I always was on that, which is not certain that it would work to lock up broadcasts (as opposed to entitle the non-breaching party to money damages), but put that aside. You don’t think the SEC would take FSU and Clemson today if offered them, phasing in the transition from ACC revenue to SEC revenue over a few years? The SEC would take them in a nanosecond. It has no dilutive effect on the conference, and it goes a HUGE way to accomplish what the SEC wants to accomplish, which is to put the P-2 on their own stage, as the dominant player on the field with an economically powerful but not as good in football Big Ten.
I think the SEC would place a greater priority in adding top schools from Virginia and North Carolina over adding second schools to South Carolina and Florida.

Clemson and FSU may want to believe they are the most important ACC members and that the SEC would add them once available but I believe the only potential leverage those schools have is the threat of strengthening the B1G (if the B1G would consider that route).

Reaction Score
I think the SEC would place a greater priority in adding top schools from Virginia and North Carolina over adding second schools to South Carolina and Florida.

Clemson and FSU may want to believe they are the most important ACC members and that the SEC would add them once available but I believe the only potential leverage those schools have is the threat of strengthening the B1G (if the B1G would consider that route).
I think the value isn’t in new, adjacent states, but in big time football programs. But who knows

Reaction Score
The big boys can sue the ACC for incompetence or dereliction of duty. The B1G and SEC are able to make bank for their members, the ACC should be able to do the same. A contract it is a two way street. I'm sure there are numerous ways to blow it all up and I don't think there is really a similar precedent to this situation. Let's just sit back and watch the implosion.

View attachment 84406

Which movie is that clip from?

Reaction Score
Clemson AD Graham Neff: Unequal distribution of ACC revenue a ‘need’

By Jon Blau jblau@postandcourier.com
Feb 24, 2023

CLEMSON — As the Big Ten and Southeastern conferences deepen their pockets by adding schools with brand value, unequal distribution of ACC revenues has been floated as a way to keep bigger brand-name schools such as Clemson satisfied with their financial position in the conference.

When asked if unequal distribution was a “want” or a “need,” Clemson athletic director Graham Neff chose the stronger of the two words.

“In all candor, I put it as a need,” Neff said in an interview with The Post and Courier. “We certainly recognize the investment that we’ve continued to make as an institution, in our community, in athletics, namely in football, which certainly drives a lot of value that is important from a television and revenue-generation standpoint.

“Is it time revenue distribution within conferences, or at least the ACC, is done differently? Yeah, I’ve been very active in those conversations within the league and continue to expect to take a leadership role in our desire for that to be a changed circumstance. Urgently.”

“All options are on the table,” ACC commissioner Jim Phillips said in July. “When you look at revenue, you look at closing the gap, you look at generating more, you look at distribution. It all is part of a similar conversation.”

He isn’t setting a deadline for when it needs to happen, but Neff certainly wants to see it come to fruition sooner rather than later.

“I think nearer-term, from a budgeting cycle, etc., expect it to not be an imminent change, but that it come with a timeline that comes with a nearer-term plan ability,” Neff said. “No specific date. But it’s a very active conversation.

“The commissioner has been very forward in leading that and encouraging the ADs to look at it and, obviously, how we report up through our presidents group. It’s very top of mind for all those groups in the ACC.”

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It may be a need on Clemson's end but that doesn't mean the ACC views it as a need. The ACC has more than just a couple football programs to satisfy with their revenue distributions.

Reaction Score
It may be a need on Clemson's end but that doesn't mean the ACC views it as a need. The ACC has more than just a couple football programs to satisfy with their revenue distributions.
Better question. Is it a need for networks, BIG, SEC? When I was a kid, I had a need for certain women, but it wasn’t a reciprocal need. The reality is, it is a want?

Reaction Score
The Pac 12’s Leadership Needs To Ink A New Media Deal Then Start ACC Merger Talks.

“The answer is there is no reason for any of the Pac 12 members including the “Four Corner Schools to leave the conference at this point,” says Florida-based media consultant Jeff Edwards. “What the conference needs is to stay together and quickly ink a new four- or five-year media rights deal as we see how the college realignment saga plays out. I think that staying together and using that time to engage the ACC in talks about a future merger or alliance is in the best interest of both conferences. The chance to join the Big 12 will be there four years from now.”

Last summer, the ACC and Pac-12 had detailed conversations about a partnership, involving a championship football game between the two conferences, as well as other basketball and Olympic sports events that could land both leagues a better media rights deal as UCLA and USC left for the Big Ten. At the time there were too many moving parts to go further plus the ACC rights deal that pays each school 36 million dollars through 2036 seemed a massive obstacle.

It was actually the ACC and more to the point the University of North Carolina that brought up the idea. Andrew Carter of The News & Observer, last summer reported that university leadership at North Carolina floated the idea of a “super conference” between the ACC and Pac-12.

“Should we explore a partnership with the Big 12 or Pac 12[?]” UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham texted university chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz.

“We could have a super conference both athletically and academically,” Guskiewicz responded. “Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC). Maybe that’s crazy, but if it would get us a better TV deal, it may be worth considering,” he continued.

“We need to think about what outcomes we want? What are our priorities? Do we want to maintain all teams in the ACC? Is this a new league? Do we want to have the same number of teams at each school? Should we play a national schedule or regional schedule?” Cunningham questioned..

There remains an open channel between the ACC and The Pac-12 about ways they can work together in the future. Merger talks are not a dream or a media hyped story there is clearly room for some serious conversations.

An Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference could offer media partners some outstanding big-name college sports brands in all four time zones starting at noon on the East coast, heading into the Central, Mountain, and ending the night on the Pacific coast. We are talking Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse in the East, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, and North Carolina in the South, for now, SMU in the Central, Colorado, and Utah in the Mountains then it is Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Oregon, Stanford, and Washington out West.

That is a mega-conference with the star power and the media markets to land a big media deal. This would take four or five years to work out, but it would be time well spent if it could be pulled off.

Reaction Score
No way any program is going to accept a blatant unequal distribution.

I'll bet what's really got FSU's panties in a bunch is the fact that UCF is going to the Big 12. Not only does UCF have a recent national championship* under its belt and invited to make more cashe, it's going to be traveling to Texas and Oklahoma while FSU makes repeated trips to tobacco road. It's not like Orlando.

36018854-47cf-4a68-9bf8-08e188d74887_text.gif

Reaction Score
The Pac 12’s Leadership Needs To Ink A New Media Deal Then Start ACC Merger Talks.

“The answer is there is no reason for any of the Pac 12 members including the “Four Corner Schools to leave the conference at this point,” says Florida-based media consultant Jeff Edwards. “What the conference needs is to stay together and quickly ink a new four- or five-year media rights deal as we see how the college realignment saga plays out. I think that staying together and using that time to engage the ACC in talks about a future merger or alliance is in the best interest of both conferences. The chance to join the Big 12 will be there four years from now.”

Last summer, the ACC and Pac-12 had detailed conversations about a partnership, involving a championship football game between the two conferences, as well as other basketball and Olympic sports events that could land both leagues a better media rights deal as UCLA and USC left for the Big Ten. At the time there were too many moving parts to go further plus the ACC rights deal that pays each school 36 million dollars through 2036 seemed a massive obstacle.

It was actually the ACC and more to the point the University of North Carolina that brought up the idea. Andrew Carter of The News & Observer, last summer reported that university leadership at North Carolina floated the idea of a “super conference” between the ACC and Pac-12.

“Should we explore a partnership with the Big 12 or Pac 12[?]” UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham texted university chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz.

“We could have a super conference both athletically and academically,” Guskiewicz responded. “Probably would need to be called the Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference (APAC). Maybe that’s crazy, but if it would get us a better TV deal, it may be worth considering,” he continued.

“We need to think about what outcomes we want? What are our priorities? Do we want to maintain all teams in the ACC? Is this a new league? Do we want to have the same number of teams at each school? Should we play a national schedule or regional schedule?” Cunningham questioned..

There remains an open channel between the ACC and The Pac-12 about ways they can work together in the future. Merger talks are not a dream or a media hyped story there is clearly room for some serious conversations.

An Atlantic-Pacific Athletic Conference could offer media partners some outstanding big-name college sports brands in all four time zones starting at noon on the East coast, heading into the Central, Mountain, and ending the night on the Pacific coast. We are talking Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse in the East, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, and North Carolina in the South, for now, SMU in the Central, Colorado, and Utah in the Mountains then it is Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Oregon, Stanford, and Washington out West.

That is a mega-conference with the star power and the media markets to land a big media deal. This would take four or five years to work out, but it would be time well spent if it could be pulled off.

I have a hard time believing this will be all that appealing to fans/tv viewers and or media companies. There's an old expression in business mergers - if you but together two dogs with fleas, you end up with one bigger dog with fleas.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing this will be all that appealing to fans/tv viewers and or media companies. There's an old expression in business mergers - if you but together two dogs with fleas, you end up with one bigger dog with fleas.
Think AOL/Time Warner

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom