Unbeatens | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Unbeatens

Reaction Score
Prolly not - Oregon was just my only first hand look at CU. OTOH I have watched Oregon several times. They're all over the place. But they have top 2/3 type talent and can certainly play with anybody, and beat anybody. I don't think the same is true of UCLA, and Colorado isn't even in the same universe.
The oregon game was an aberration, the coach told them they had nothing to fear, and two days later they were the better team for most of the game against Oregon State and maybe by the end as good as UCLA. But then I have seen every game and knew that their freshmen were really good, the sophomores, very good, and their junior finally gaining control of her temper and playing lights out.

Reaction Score
Hide your womenfolk, the bloodbath known as the PAC-12 has barely started.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
and two days later they were the better team for most of the game against Oregon State

You've been wearing out this refrain. OSU outscored them 23-9 in Q2 and 22-14 in Q4. At BEST they were better than OSU for half the game. But they lost by 12, really hard to figure out how your claim can be remotely true.

Reaction Score
Offensively they're dynamite when everything clicks. Defensively they're vulnerable IMO without a true shot blocker and big post presence. I think the PAC will be a blood bath this year.
The stats would agree. Massey has Oregon ranked 38th defensively. It is hard to win a title that way.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The oregon game was an aberration, the coach told them they had nothing to fear, and two days later they were the better team for most of the game against Oregon State and maybe by the end as good as UCLA. But then I have seen every game and knew that their freshmen were really good, the sophomores, very good, and their junior finally gaining control of her temper and playing lights out.

This is pretty wishful thinking. It's very different being able to outscore a team in 2 or 3 quarters when you dig yourself a massive hole and you're always playing from behind. They weren't better than Oregon State most of the game, they lost by 12 with Oregon State in control the final 3 quarters. They made a great run against UCLA at the end but trailed by 15-20 most of the second half.

Colorado quite frankly has a massive uphill battle IMO. They have one of the hardest PAC schedules with 2 games against each of UCLA, Oregon, OSU and Stanford, and so far they're 0-3. Their non-conference SOS was awful too, with their best opponent being Wisconsin who has a Massey rating of 89.

It's great that the put up a fight against Oregon State and gave UCLA a good scare, but as of right now Charlie Creme has them out of the tournament largely due to having zero quality wins. They'll need to win a couple of games against the Big 4 and likely win at least 1 game vs Arizona or Arizona State at home to get in the tournament.

Reaction Score
You've been wearing out this refrain. OSU outscored them 23-9 in Q2 and 22-14 in Q4. At BEST they were better than OSU for half the game. But they lost by 12, really hard to figure out how your claim can be remotely true.
Easy, I watched the game. But I was mainly commenting that I thought Oregon State overrated while pleased at CU performance. UConn lost to Baylor by how much in 4th quarter? UConn must be terrible. Oh, and it was basically a let down in second quarter as Oregon State won entire second half by 2 points. And CU’s 6’ 5” post went out with an injury 3 minutes into the game. So unranked, playing on the road against No. 3, I’ll take it. Big post still out by CU easily beat USC and might have been one missed foul (the refs, perhaps realizing error, called timeout to see if there was any way UCLA knocked ball out of bounds which they clearly had not) with 19 seconds left from beating No. 8. As it was a last second three fell short. But it’s the PAC-12, not the AAC, where the teams are good top to bottom.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Easy, I watched the game. But I was mainly commenting that I thought Oregon State overrated while pleased at CU performance. UConn lost to Baylor by how much in 4th quarter? UConn must be terrible. Oh, and it was basically a let down in second quarter as Oregon State won entire second half by 2 points. And CU’s 6’ 5” post went out with an injury 3 minutes into the game. So unranked, playing on the road against No. 3, I’ll take it. Big post still out by CU easily beat USC and might have been one missed foul (the refs, perhaps realizing error, called timeout to see if there was any way UCLA knocked ball out of bounds which they clearly had not) with 19 seconds left from beating No. 8. As it was a last second three fell short. But it’s the PAC-12, not the AAC, where the teams are good top to bottom.

UCONN had a 1 point deficit midway through the 4th quarter vs Baylor. Colorado was down by double digits the last 6 minutes of the game, never had a lead in the second half and the closest they got was 4 points with 9 and a half minutes to go. Different scenarios.

And it's a lot different when a game is competitive the entire time vs. trading baskets with a team that has a steady lead the whole game. UCONN yesterday won by 40 but tied Houston in the 2nd quarter (19-19) and only won the 4th quarter by 2. Does that mean Houston played UCONN even half of the game? Not a chance. They were down the entire game and never sniffed a win. Oregon State was in control of the game vs. Colorado from 2nd quarter on, and UCLA was in control most of the 2nd half until a flurry from Colorado at the end. It's easy to blame the refs, but at the end of the day Colorado doesn't have a quality win and is 2-3 in conference play thus far.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
USC edged UCLA 70-68 in 2OT. Onyenwere was out with an ankle problem.

UCLA scored 2 points in Q2. Eek!

Reaction Score
UCONN had a 1 point deficit midway through the 4th quarter vs Baylor. Colorado was down by double digits the last 6 minutes of the game, never had a lead in the second half and the closest they got was 4 points with 9 and a half minutes to go. Different scenarios.

And it's a lot different when a game is competitive the entire time vs. trading baskets with a team that has a steady lead the whole game. UCONN yesterday won by 40 but tied Houston in the 2nd quarter (19-19) and only won the 4th quarter by 2. Does that mean Houston played UCONN even half of the game? Not a chance. They were down the entire game and never sniffed a win. Oregon State was in control of the game vs. Colorado from 2nd quarter on, and UCLA was in control most of the 2nd half until a flurry from Colorado at the end. It's easy to blame the refs, but at the end of the day Colorado doesn't have a quality win and is 2-3 in conference play thus far.
Well, one could argue UConn only has one quality win—and they almost blew it. And one could argue that Oregon State was out played by Colorado in first quarter and second half. But it’s the PAC-12. I am and have always been a UConn fan but this year’s team might lose a 4-6 games if they played in PAC-12. Utah was beaten by Colorado at home, then turned around and beat Colorado at home, aided by incredible 70% three point shooting, 16 of 23, while USC, which Colorado easily beat, handed UCLA, which barely beat Colorado, its first loss. Stanford, ranked No. 1 earlier, was destroyed by Oregon, which lost to Arizona State. Colorado has a sensational freshman point guard and a forward, Myra Hollingshed, who would clean Liv’s clock. And since the first three minutes of Oregon State game, Colorado has been playing without their injured 6’ 5” freshman post.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom