Unbeatens | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Unbeatens

Reaction Score
Although I hesitate to take part in a discussion like this--especially here--maybe another way to frame the issue is to ask: if I were a member of the Oregon staff who would I "trade" for whom (as a starter) in order to make the team stronger? So, yes, this is about positions, and it's also about what a player brings to the table for Oregon at this point in her career--not upside, not who will be the better player a year or two from now (or maybe even now), and certainly not about recruiting rankings, which really don't work very well for this Oregon team, and which UCONN, in any case, will always win hands down.

So, given that, I'd trade Erin Boley for Meg in a heartbeat, but after? Christyn may be a better guard than Moore in some (many?) respects, but she is clearly not Moore's equal defensively and mostly adds (imo) something that is already one of Oregon's strengths rather than, as Moore does, expands the team's capabilities. So I'd pass on that one. And, whatever the thinking of the USA team staff, it's difficult for me to see Liv as a more important contributor than Hebard, who has been extraordinarily (and consistently) productive for some three years now, including the game against that US team in November. Again, that doesn't mean that Liv doesn't have a higher upside than Hebard--I believe that's obvious--nor does it mean that down the road her accomplishments won't be superior, but, as good as she is, especially defensively, I don't think that Oregon would be a better team right now with her in the starting lineup instead of Ruthy.

As for Makurat, good coaches recognize good talent. (UCONN also beat out Oregon for Nika Muhl.)
Exactly what I thought in my original post, though I am not sure Liv has the bulk to compete against powerful bigs. After Baylor game, I am sure of that. CW is only going to get better and better but in my post I was talking this year. Meg is gold.

Reaction Score
I guess UConn should just plan a trip to Europe that day. If Hebard is so good, why didn't she beat out Liv for the final spot on the USA team? And of course, if you think Boley and Moore are better than Meg and CW you've been kissing the wrong end of your horse.
Actually, I said Meg would crack starting lineup and I believe CW is improving leaps and bounds. So there’s no “of course.” How many Oregon games have you watched? Look at Baylor game. Liv is 6’ 5” but she has a slender frame and can be dominated by more muscular bigs, as in Baylor game. Automatically, Oregon starts out with three, I would make Meg 4th starter. The fifth is up for grabs. UConn is playing at home, call that a 6 point advantage. Best check out that horse again. But the real competition is in Pac-12. No team, not even Oregon, will get out with less than two conference loses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only two remain. Both Pac-12.
Team​
Wins​
Next Games​
Oregon St​
15​
1/12 @ Arizona State​
1/17 California​
1/19 Stanford​
UCLA​
15​
1/12 @Colorado​
1/17 @USC​
1/24 Washington​

Reaction Score
My guess is UCLA is the last to fall. No undefeated teams this year.
Colorado Buffaloes (otherwise known here as Colorado Frauds here) leading 17-10 at end of one. It probably won’t last. Still...
UCLA takes lead 17 minutes in, thanks to a Colorado recruit, and leads 35-29 at half.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Strange game. Colorado up 7 after Q1. UCLA went on a huge run, was up 21 most of the way thru Q3. Now it's down to a 4 point margin late in the game.

Reaction Score
Colorado down by 25, closed to 2 with 19 seconds left, when refs missed an obvious UCLA foul and gave ball to UCLA, which scored a free throw to win by 3 65-62.
Absolutely great performance by a no quit Colorado. Maybe UCLA’s top scorer regrets leaving Colorado for Los Angeles. They threw a major scare into No. 3 Oregon State and nearly took No. 8 UCLA, possibly either best or second best team in PAC-12 (and perhaps nation.) This is what I meant when I argued it was absurd to refer to CU’s 12 win unbeaten streak as a fraud. The last laugh feels good.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe UCLA’s top scorer regrets leaving Colorado for Los Angeles.

Your enthusiasm for a rebuilding CU program is great, but why in the world would Onyenwere regret her decision? Look at the previous 2 seasons. I think she made a good choice.

Reaction Score
Living in Boulder, usually ranked best place to live in country, versus LA? You have to be kidding. But so what? The time will come when they stay. But as long as we can get players like Sherrod, the best freshman point guard I have seen this early in her career since Moriah Jefferson, I’m happy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Living in Boulder, usually ranked best place to live in country, versus LA? You have to be kidding. But so what? The time will come when they stay. But as long as we can get players like Sherrod, the best freshman point guard I have seen this early in her career since Moriah Jefferson, I’m happy.

I was referring to what happens on the basketball court. UCLA has gone to an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 during Onyenwere's career while Colorado hasn't sniffed the post season in that time frame.

Reaction Score
Colorado down by 25, closed to 2 with 19 seconds left, when refs missed an obvious UCLA foul and gave ball to UCLA, which scored a free throw to win by 3 65-62.
Absolutely great performance by a no quit Colorado. Maybe UCLA’s top scorer regrets leaving Colorado for Los Angeles. They threw a major scare into No. 3 Oregon State and nearly took No. 8 UCLA, possibly either best or second best team in PAC-12 (and perhaps nation.) This is what I meant when I argued it was absurd to refer to CU’s 12 win unbeaten streak as a fraud. The last laugh feels good.

UCLA second best team in the nation? Let's wait a bit on that one, okay?

Reaction Score
UCLA second best team in the nation? Let's wait a bit on that one, okay?
Actually, I think we have to wait to anoint any team 1-10. You would do just as well throwing a dart. Until UCLA nearly lost to CU, I thought they could move up in poll anywhere from 5 to 3, with 2 being an outside possibility. Just as Colorado exposed Oregon State, it exposed UCLA, but will voters notice? Or maybe Colorado is better than I think. After all, the lost their 6’ 5” post player three minutes into Oregon State game and haven’t done too badly since. Lol. It is just a very tough conference. A team could finish second or third in conference and still win NC.

Reaction Score
I was referring to what happens on the basketball court. UCLA has gone to an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16 during Onyenwere's career while Colorado hasn't sniffed the post season in that time frame.
I know. Glad Rebecca Lobo did otherwise.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Lol those "best places to live/visit" lists are so irrelevant. If Onyenwere wanted to live in LA aside from basketball reasons, she probably had zero desire to go to Boulder. Totally different settings and which someone prefers come down to what lifestyle they want.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think we have to wait to anoint any team 1-10. You would do just as well throwing a dart. Until UCLA nearly lost to CU, I thought they could move up in poll anywhere from 5 to 3, with 2 being an outside possibility. Just as Colorado exposed Oregon State, it exposed UCLA, but will voters notice? Or maybe Colorado is better than I think. After all, the lost their 6’ 5” post player three minutes into Oregon State game and haven’t done too badly since. Lol. It is just a very tough conference. A team could finish second or third in conference and still win NC.
Dunno if CU is legit or not. I saw them play once this year (on TV) when Oregon destroyed them by 58 points - it wasn't even a game.

I think UCLA is over-ranked at 8.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dunno if CU is legit or not. I saw them play once this year (on TV) when Oregon destroyed them by 58 points - it wasn't even a game.

I think UCLA is over-ranked at 8.

I think that was a perfect storm. I don't think Oregon is as good nor Colorado as bad as that scores indicates.

Reaction Score
I think that was a perfect storm. I don't think Oregon is as good nor Colorado as bad as that score indicates.
Prolly not - Oregon was just my only first hand look at CU. OTOH I have watched Oregon several times. They're all over the place. But they have top 2/3 type talent and can certainly play with anybody, and beat anybody. I don't think the same is true of UCLA, and Colorado isn't even in the same universe.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I agree, Oregon has the most upside of all the Pac 12 teams. They haven't been firing on all cylinders most of the season, maybe they'll get there at some point.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree, Oregon has the most upside of all the Pac 12 teams. They haven't been firing on all cylinders most of the season, maybe they'll get there at some point.

Offensively they're dynamite when everything clicks. Defensively they're vulnerable IMO without a true shot blocker and big post presence. I think the PAC will be a blood bath this year.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom