Unbeatens | The Boneyard

Unbeatens

Reaction Score
Through games 12/1. (number of wins and alphabetical)
School
Wins
Binghamton​
8​
Louisville​
8​
NC State​
8​
Stanford​
8​
Arizona​
7​
Florica St​
7​
Kentucky​
7​
Oregon St​
7​
Tennessee​
7​
UCLA​
7​
Colorado​
6​
Connecticut​
6​
Kansas​
6​
Loyola-Chicago​
6​
North Carolina​
6​
TCU​
6​
Providence​
5​
Texas Tech​
5​

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not that I’m ambitious enough to do this, but it would be interesting to see each of the unbeaten teams ranked by SOS.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not that I’m ambitious enough to do this, but it would be interesting to see each of the unbeaten teams ranked by SOS.

Not until UConn's SOS improves please.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Through games 12/1. (number of wins and alphabetical)
School
Wins
SOS
Binghamton​
8​
341​
Louisville​
8​
6​
NC State​
8​
124​
Stanford​
8​
9​
Arizona​
7​
199​
Florida St​
7​
108​
Kentucky​
7​
134​
Oregon St​
7​
33​
Tennessee​
7​
198​
UCLA​
7​
106​
Colorado​
6​
191​
Connecticut​
6​
5​
Kansas​
6​
300​
Loyola-Chicago​
6​
308​
North Carolina​
6​
213​
TCU​
6​
164​
Providence​
5​
237​
Texas Tech​
5​
332​

Apparently I had the time this morning. These SOS based on Massey Ratings.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At present UConn’s SOS is ranked 5th, second only to OR St among unbeaten teams.

Oh, I guess I am not sensitive to the OOC cupcakes prior to the weekend Tournaments

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Apparently I had the time this morning. These SOS based on Massey Ratings.
I Think Massey is probably more accurate, particularly with regard to OR St’s SOS. I pulled my SOS numbers off of some sight named RealTimeRPI.

Reaction Score
I Think Massey is probably more accurate, particularly with regard to OR St’s SOS. I pulled my SOS numbers off of some sight named RealTimeRPI.
This is the one I usually use.

Reaction Score
RealTimeRPI just got me in trouble on this site. They didn't have the Stanford-MSU game in their archive - probably because it was a tournament game and wasn't "pre-programmed" into their database.

Reaction Score
Just a comparison with this SOS between WarrenNolan (left) and Massey, top 20 only for both. If anyone can decipher why there are big differences between both of them, please do not hesitate to reply.

EDIT: just realized Oregon St is not even shown in Massey's top 20 in SOS.

1575307284480.png

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Just a comparison with this SOS between WarrenNolan (left) and Massey, top 20 only for both. If anyone can decipher why there are big differences between both of them, please do not hesitate to reply.

EDIT: just realized Oregon St is not even shown in Massey's top 20 in SOS.

View attachment 48750
Massey counts last ten wins, so that includes the end of last season, but I don't think that explains much of it. I think the main thing is that Massey weighs good opponents better, because Massey takes margin of victory into account, so when Baylor beats cupcakes by 70 points, that looks different than when Missouri State beats 2-4 Boise State by 3. Which then means that when Washington State loses to Baylor, that SOS will look much stronger than when Oregon State beats Missouri State, even though Baylor and Missouri State have identical 7-1 records overall. You'll note that the RPI SOS indicator on the left just totals up all opponent wins and losses, with no consideration of who they beat (which RPI weighs, but not RPI SOS), and by how much (which RPI ignores entirely).

Among other laughable things is that RPI produces the result that Oregon State has a stronger SOS than Washington State, which has already played Baylor, Indiana, and South Carolina. OSU's best opponents are DePaul, Miami, and Missouri State, but sure, whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Among other laughable things is that RPI produces the result that Oregon State has a stronger SOS than Washington State, which has already played Baylor, Indiana, and South Carolina. OSU's best opponents are DePaul, Miami, and Missouri State, but sure, whatever.
Yet one more indication that RPI is completely nonsense. Yet, supposedly bright people of America's institutions of higher learning continue to use it.
The ONLY reason they use it is for politics.

Reaction Score
RPI is based only on opponent records and the opponents'-opponent records. It doesn't go any deeper, and it (per NCAA dictum) absolutely does not consider margin-of-victory.

Most "name" formulas, like Massey and KenPom, either directly or indirectly dig deeper than just the two levels that RPI goes. Typical is the Elo formula (Sagarin), which gives every team a rating and with each game the winner "takes" rating points from the loser, in proportion to the difference in rating (much like a wager). For example, an Elo formula might set it up so that if two evenly-matched teams play, the winner takes 16 points from the loser. But in a UConn-Gallaudet type mismatch, UConn might take 1 point from Galluadet if they win, but lose 32 points to them if they lose. Over the course of the season, teams that play strong opponents will be able to gain more points than those who play weak opponents. You have to beat Gallaudet 16 times to get the same effect as playing Baylor. (The numbers I used here are typical, but not precise.)

But here's the upshot. Whether it's Elo, ISR, or any other computer rating system, it takes on the order of two dozen games for the signal to overcome the noise. No computer rating means much of anything before February, and they only really have validity in March. Massey tries to get around this by adding some of last year's games to the mix - if they didn't, their ratings would look as stupid as the current RPI lists.

The one area where we really legitimately look to the computers for support for our arguments TODAY is in the conference-vs-conference comparisons, as we have far more games going into the calculation. The conference ratings would become legitimate roughly 6 games into the season if every team played a "decent" schedule. As things stand, with all the patsies being scheduled in November, it's probably closer to 10-12 games in before the conference ratings are legit.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
They have Stanford and MSU's other wins in the tournament, so I don't think that's it. Whatever the deal is, if they don't fix it, it's going to throw things off all season. Here's the warrennolan RPI, which does include all games. Incidentally, they also calculate ELO rankings, which are also pretty interesting, and the closest statistical ranking that mirrors my own subjective ranking of the teams as of today.
By the way, Elo is not an acronym. The Elo rating system gets its name from its inventor, Arpad Elo. So it shouldn't really be written ELO.

Reaction Score
I know that. I was calculating ELO ratings for the Northwest Chess Association in the 1970's on a hand calculator. But even way back then, it was almost always written ELO. I suppose because they were usually calculated on a computer and computer terms were almost always inappropriately capitalized.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's fun to see the teams that some of these undefeated teams have beaten.

Texas Tech (4-0) has beaten:
  • Sam Houston State (1-3)
  • Florida A&M (0-4)
  • Northwestern State (0-3)
  • Purdue Fort Wayne (1-5)
If Texas Tech can beat Ole Miss in the Big 12/SEC Challenge tomorrow, they'll likely go unbeaten until Big 12 play, as their remaining OOC schedule is:
  • Houston Baptist (1-4)
  • Prairie View A&M (0-5)
  • Arkansas Pine Bluff (0-5)
  • Louisiana Monroe (1-5)
  • Texas San Antonio (1-4)
These 9 OOC opponents have a combined record vs. D-I teams of 5-38. Yikes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom