UMass | The Boneyard

UMass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the exit of Louisville is there any support for admitting UMass to the AAC?

UMass could set up a nice rivalry with UConn.

IMO UMass has more of an upside to the AAC than East Carolina, Tulsa and others.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Reaction Score
With the exit of Louisville is there any support for admitting UMass to the AAC?

IMO UMass has more of an upside to the AAC than East Carolina, Tulsa and others.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

NO NO NO!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no support.

I hate the thought of being associated with East Carolina, but they do have a decent football program.

UMass football has some challenges that I don't think they'll ever overcome.

Reaction Score
It is all about football if you have not figured that out - our lack of understanding that is what got us into this mess

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is all about football if you have not figured that out - our lack of understanding that is what got us into this mess

You nailed it. That is why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to the Big 10 and Colorado was invited to the Pac 12. Because of their powerhouse football programs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I don't know about having more upside than ECU, but Tulane and Tulsa are absolutely vacuums athletically. Tulsa tries, but they are tiny, and Tulane doesn't care. Casual UConn fans could care less about a mid-major league with a bunch of Southern schools that most of the fans couldn't find with a map if not for the fact that three of the schools in the league are named after cities.

The basketball conference sucks, which will degrade UConn's most valuable asset. Even one more Top 50/75 basketball program would make a huge difference to a league where half the teams will be outside the top 150 more often than not.

UMass is the flagship university of a major state, and academically it might as well be MIT compared to some of the schools in our league. That said, every decision we make with conference affiliation has been shortsighted, so keeping UMass out of the AAC is almost guaranteed.

Reaction Score
UMass as a BB only maybe. Their FSB status in light of changes in the football landscape, and lack of state support will make completion of their move difficult.
Why should their state invest millions when the best they could hope for is the AAC.
Face it we are hanging on based on some kind of future inclusion in P5 . Is that even a remote possibility for UMass..?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They are having one good season. Although it'll be better than East Carolina or Tulane can ever do.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I would take UMass all-sports but football to counter Navy as a football-only. UConn needs some drivable conference games. And this opinion is not influenced by its recent uptick (showing a pulse) in basketball.

Reaction Score
You nailed it. That is why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to the Big 10 and Colorado was invited to the Pac 12. Because of their powerhouse football programs.

Maryland and NJ are pretty good areas to recruit and all 3 of the schools you mention have 50k plus capacity stadiums. I know Utah,TCU and Louisville were invited because of their field performances

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The idea ofUConn having a real regional rival isn't nuts by a longshot. We can dump on Rutgers all we want, but they were the last vestige of a regional rival we had. Sad that UMass might be an alternative, but personally, there isn't a single game including the few old BE programs that don't feel like OOC to me

But right now, we are in the AAC and I haven't the foggiest idea if other leagues are any more than wishful thinking, so I'm rooting for the league to succeed better than I expect and that is one of these teams start to feel like rivals instead of some teams that are on our schedule.

Reaction Score
UMass has to move their all their football games back to Amherst first. Then we can gauge UMass' true potential in football. The basketball program definitely has more of an upside or history than a few AAC schools.

Reaction Score
I would take UMass all-sports but football to counter Navy as a football-only. UConn needs some drivable conference games. And this opinion is not influenced by its recent uptick (showing a pulse) in basketball.

Is this Mike Tranghese?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The time to discuss this is about 10 years from now. Get an athletic department an come back.

Reaction Score
As much as I hate being in the AAC, the addition of UMass makes zero sense. I don't think anybody who lives in Massachusetts thinks UMass is the flagship university of the state. It is not supporte.

As for Tulsa and Tulane, they have been more relevant in college sports than UMass has ever been. In fact, Tulsa has a much better basketball history than UMass. And, both have better football histories. I don't think they belong in the AAC, but they are better adds than UMass. Plus, the southern schools in the AAC know that UConn could get taken by another conference in the future and they prefer Tulane and Tulsa over UMass.

And, if Tulane doesn't care, why are they building a new football stadium? Tulane is one of the best universities in the South and it is located near the best recruiting areas in the country, so the potential is there.

Reaction Score
I support UMass to the AAC.

Would rather travel to Foxboro/Amherst to see a game than Tulsa.

Would rather watch a game on NESN than ESPN3.

Really don't care about the prestige (or lack there of) of the AAC at this point. Hopefully we wont be here long.

Reaction Score
It's a mute point at this time anyway. With 12 football playing members, there is no support to add another school unless the potential add was a very good football school which we know UMass is not.

Reaction Score
Football rules and they actually lower the value of the league in football.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't know about having more upside than ECU, but Tulane and Tulsa are absolutely vacuums athletically. Tulsa tries, but they are tiny, and Tulane doesn't care. Casual UConn fans could care less about a mid-major league with a bunch of Southern schools that most of the fans couldn't find with a map if not for the fact that three of the schools in the league are named after cities.

The basketball conference sucks, which will degrade UConn's most valuable asset. Even one more Top 50/75 basketball program would make a huge difference to a league where half the teams will be outside the top 150 more often than not.

UMass is the flagship university of a major state, and academically it might as well be MIT compared to some of the schools in our league. That said, every decision we make with conference affiliation has been shortsighted, so keeping UMass out of the AAC is almost guaranteed.
Don't necessarily disagree, but what changes would you have made in building the AAC? Don't you think UCONN did the best they could under the circumstances? No one wanted us - not the Big 10 and not the ACC. At that point, what were our choices?

Reaction Score

I hate defending some of these schools, but Tulsa has a much better basketball history than UMass and they have greater fan support based on Tulsa having higher attendance than UMass virtually every year except during the Calipari years. (When Tulsa was good, they have been in the top 70 in attendance each year.) Tulsa has gone to 14 NCAA tournaments: 55, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 00, 02, 03 and they have a record of 12-14. They won the NIT in both 1981 and 2001. UMass has gone to 8 NCAA tournaments.

As for Tulsa football, they have an impressive record and blows away UMass. They are ranked 43rd in FBS wins and 50th in winning %. They have gone bowling in 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11, 12. And, although in the past, they have played in 2 Sugar Bowls and 1 Orange Bowls. In football, Tulsa will not be an easy win for UConn!

Reaction Score
1. UMass would give UConn a geographic rival.

2. Long term UMass won't be any worse than Temple.

3. If you wish to round out the AAC to an even number consider bringing in UMass and Southern Mississippi from C-USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom