Umass no longer playing FB in MAC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Umass no longer playing FB in MAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This could spell the end of the UMass FBS football experiment. No way the Southern wing of the AAC is interested in adding UMass in football.

A good move for the Southern wing of the AAC would be to get access to Georgia. There is a realistic chance that Georgia State could turn into the next USF/UCF type football school, and Georgia State isn't terrible at basketball. They made the NIT this year. A combination add of UMass and Georgia State could be good strategic additions for Mike Aresco.

Everyone knows that UConn and Cincinnati want to leave. Adding UMass and Georgia State could shore up a New England presence long term for the AAC, and it would get the league into Georgia and Atlanta, which would definintely help for football. Georgia State is making the transition to FBS, so they will struggle at first in football like UMass. But they could be a great long term bet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
With no state income tax, and folks grandfathered in on home valuation taxation so that taxes can not increase much over time, the state depends on fleecing visitors with a sales tax of 7%.

In New York, we do have a high state income tax and high property taxes, but at least we get fleeced by an 8.375% sales tax.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A good move for the Southern wing of the AAC would be to get access to Georgia. There is a realistic chance that Georgia State could turn into the next USF/UCF type football school, and Georgia State isn't terrible at basketball. They made the NIT this year. A combination add of UMass and Georgia State could be good strategic additions for Mike Aresco.

Everyone knows that UConn and Cincinnati want to leave. Adding UMass and Georgia State could shore up a New England presence long term for the AAC, and it would get the league into Georgia and Atlanta, which would definintely help for football. Georgia State is making the transition to FBS, so they will struggle at first in football like UMass. But they could be a great long term bet.

What's the waiting period for handguns in Virginia? Can you please get one and either shoot yourself or me in the face. It would be less painful than someone explaining why I'd want UConn in a league with Georgia State.

I mean come on they are like 373rd in the Director's Cup.

Reaction Score
What's the waiting period for handguns in Virginia? Can you please get one and either shoot yourself or me in the face. It would be less painful than someone explaining why I'd want UConn in a league with Georgia State.

I mean come on they are like 373rd in the Director's Cup.

Access to Georgia High School football talent would be the reason. Old Dominion in Norfolk, VA could accomplish something similar. They are 103 after fall Director's Cup this year, well ahead of SMU. They are closer to UConn as well. Tidewater Virginia has great football talent too. Georgia has more. It might be easier to convince Virginia kids to come to Connecticut than Georgia kids. The culture shock would not be as dramatic. Anyway these are some options to pair UMass with a Southern School in football talent areas.

I don't think UConn wants to be in the AAC long term anyway. But the league itself isn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
In New York, we do have a high state income tax and high property taxes, but at least we get fleeced by an 8.375% sales tax.

I've always wondered what the average citizen gets for that. The infrastructure isn't much better than other states (roads, bridges,etc.). The schools may be a little better, but not dramatic. Where does that money go?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Access to Georgia High School football talent would be the reason. Old Dominion in Norfolk, VA could accomplish something similar. They are 103 after fall Director's Cup this year, well ahead of SMU. They are closer to UConn as well. Tidewater Virginia has great football talent too. Georgia has more. It might be easier to convince Virginia kids to come to Connecticut than Georgia kids. The culture shock would not be as dramatic. Anyway these are some options to pair UMass with a Southern School in football talent areas.

I don't think UConn wants to be in the AAC long term anyway. But the league itself isn't going anywhere.

OK fine I'll get my own gun and just shoot myself.

Seriously this is all idiotic. The AAC is bad enough. Coming up with a second school TO ADD TO THE SCHOOL THAT GOT KICKED OUT OF THE MAC FOR BEING SH!TTY is really unnecessary.

Oh ODU is ahead of SMU in the director's cup. Valuable intel for sure. I bet Larry Brown will jump off a bridge over that news.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've always wondered what the average citizen gets for that. The infrastructure isn't much better than other states (roads, bridges,etc.). The schools may be a little better, but not dramatic. Where does that money go?

Honestly, the average citizen gets nothing.

Our public employees make more money, their benefits are higher, the public benefits are more generous, etc., etc.

Compare the Fairfax schools with Westchester County schools - they're about equal, but Fairfax does it much more economically.

It is what it is, I guess.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dan were you liking
A: The concept of me shooting myself
B: Calling out the Georgia State nonsense
C: A&B
D: You just like first and worry about the ramifications later

Reaction Score
Do Penn State guys really care about playing Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers this coming season?

I have no idea of fan desires of the area...but those teams do not really appeal to my personal bias.
Exactly billy,you have no idea....enjoy the apple! Personally I don't think you're biases matter to those up here?

Reaction Score
Penn State just played Syracuse in football in 2013, and I was on the Penn State board right after that when B1G fans from Purdue and Ohio State posted on the Penn State board that Syracuse is no rival of Penn State. You would be shocked Nicky with how many Penn State fans crucified the Big Ten posters for suggesting such a thing. The Big Ten folks were told in no uncertain terms that they are clueless as to who Penn State's rivals are. Syracuse is one in the minds of many of the Penn State fans. If the series record is that bad, I don't quite know why. So is Pittsburgh by the way.
Wrong unless your only selectively choosing? Now SU would like to think their a "rival" of PSU cause it suits there purpose.

Reaction Score
The Florida legislature, with all of the retirees voting, is always tight fisted. With no state income tax, and folks grandfathered in on home valuation taxation so that taxes can not increase much over time, the state depends on fleecing visitors with a sales tax of 7%.

I have lived in the same house for 29 years. My tax is sooooo low that I am embarrassed to speak of it.
Us old guys in AZ have a similar political clout but that is changing as employment prospects are getting better here and families move for money.

Reaction Score
As a long time PSU fan who reads the BWI board, I'm surprised anyone at all said Cuse is a rival. Maybe in kneejerk reaction to jerk B1G fans, but really, I can't imagine any PSU fans care about playing Cuse.
You're right upstater cause I don't either....not 1 but Cuse fan's are grasping for anything that suits their agenda but most of the younger Cuse fans usually tell me they need to win the RU game and will miss it the most....RU/UConn/SU/PSU/Pitt and even the catholic school in Boston should be playing as often as possible or whats the use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom