Umass no longer playing FB in MAC? | The Boneyard

Umass no longer playing FB in MAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I have read it seems like they are leaving to protect their basketball program and not bring that down to a MAC level. No idea where they go from here.

How come we didnt hear about this in Non Key Tweets??

Reaction Score
You know they're just going to end up in our crap hole conference and drag it down further.

Reaction Score
This could spell the end of the UMass FBS football experiment. No way the Southern wing of the AAC is interested in adding UMass in football.

Reaction Score
You know they're just going to end up in our crap hole conference and drag it down further.

They might try, but I doubt the AAC has any interest. I think they will end up dropping down a division.

CUSA might take them, but only for all sports and that probably won't happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're not dropping football down, but they are certainly in a bit of a bind.

Not sure where they go from here.

Someone hide Aresco's phone.

Reaction Score
They're not dropping football down, but they are certainly in a bit of a bind.

Not sure where they go from here.

Someone hide Aresco's phone.

I'm not so sure. My guess is that there will be calls from many to end the FBS experiment as there is little support in Massachusetts for UMass athletics and there are few good options. How are they going to turn UMass football around if they don't even have a conference in 2 years?

Reaction Score
If they are stay FBS I don't see any other options but going all in with the MAC or praying the AAC takes them in.

Reaction Score
Who ever said above they may replace UConn when they head for greener pastures make's good sense if they(UMass) thought a midwestern conference's traveling expense's is "a bad fit".....is the AAC not more spread out and travel more expensive and time consuming? I smell something's up only those in the know know about !?!

Reaction Score
I bet they end up in CUSA. Which is beyond stupid. Maybe they are just going to not play home games and just play 12 paycheck games.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity a question: What league does the MAC teams that play hockey play in? Does the MAC sponsor hockey? If that's the case & the MAC said all in or nothing then it's a gamebreaker as UMass wouldn't leave Hockey East.

Reaction Score
Being from the Midwest I dont' know much about UMass but it seems like a state flagship school in a highly populated state would be much more valuable. Heck in the whole country there are not that many state flagship schools who are not in a power conference and most of those are in low population states like Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico. There is also a concentration in the NE with schools like UConn, UMass, Rutgers(for now), Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont, and NY. Clearly UConn has teh best AD in that list by a wide margin. Those states dont' have the population issue that the mountain states do but for some reason they are not in power conferences and in some cases are in mid major conferences and leagues. Why is it that there are so many NE state flagship schools with mid major athletic departments? Is it just another situation where people in the NE dont' care about college football? $? No talent in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Delaware? Is high school football popular up there?

Reaction Score
Being from the Midwest I dont' know much about UMass but it seems like a state flagship school in a highly populated state would be much more valuable. Heck in the whole country there are not that many state flagship schools who are not in a power conference and most of those are in low population states like Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, New Mexico. There is also a concentration in the NE with schools like UConn, UMass, Rutgers(for now), Delaware, New Hampshire, Vermont, and NY. Clearly UConn has teh best AD in that list by a wide margin. Those states dont' have the population issue that the mountain states do but for some reason they are not in power conferences and in some cases are in mid major conferences and leagues. Why is it that there are so many NE state flagship schools with mid major athletic departments? Is it just another situation where people in the NE dont' care about college football? $? No talent in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Delaware? Is high school football popular up there?

UMass brings nothing to the table. Even less than Tulane. Heck, at least Tulane is building a stadium and seems to have a plan.

UMass is uncooked mystery meat. It could be rat, it could be a rancid woodchuck but it won't be good for you when it's done.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Isn't obvious? UConn is headed to the ACC after Swofford gets his ruling for unbalanced conferences and UMass will take our place.

I'd prefer the B1G - its a better fit in many regards - but I think its the ACC that ultimately decides to tie down the Atlantic seaboard w/us. Yes, we have many enemies in the ACC - but to let us go to the B1G would leave the door ajar.

Meanwhile I think B1G will move too slow to get us. They wont play an unbalanced schedule and they are still digesting Rutty and Maryland - which hasn't exactly gone smoothly or generated as much as excitement and good vibes as I think they would have hoped. You wont really know until a couple years in when ticket sales/ticket prices/tv revs/etc can be measured. So far, it feels like Rutty and the B1G has been a bit of a yawner for NYC.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity a question: What league does the MAC teams that play hockey play in? Does the MAC sponsor hockey? If that's the case & the MAC said all in or nothing then it's a gamebreaker as UMass wouldn't leave Hockey East.

I think they play in the new league that formed after the B1G formed their own league.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

VT, NH, Maine and much of upstate NY don't play football with any great regularity, structure or passion. Dont get me wrong, they love watching football, just no one cares if their kid plays. Passion at the high school level is limited - at best. Winter is too long and the best athletes probably play hockey, ski or do other individual sports like rock climbing, river running, etc.

Reaction Score
UMass brings nothing to the table. Even less than Tulane. Heck, at least Tulane is building a stadium and seems to have a plan.

UMass is uncooked mystery meat. It could be rat, it could be a rancid woodchuck but it won't be good for you when it's done.
That is funny. Seems strange to look at state flagship schools in highly populated states and see an AD that plays in A-10 type conferences. There is really no other part of the country that does this.

Reaction Score
That is funny. Seems strange to look at state flagship schools in highly populated states and see an AD that plays in A-10 type conferences. There is really no other part of the country that does this.
The number of private schools in the northeast makes it so the state flagship schools aren't the same as they are in other parts of the country. Notice that both BC and Syracuse are in power conferences and draw considerably more fan support than their respective states' flagship universities.

Reaction Score

The three teams that do either play in the NCHC (Miami, Western Michigan) or the WCHA (Bowling Green).

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
UMass is betting the house that we are out of the AAC in 2 years.

Reaction Score

That's because Flagship Schools in the northeast are generally not what they are in most other parts of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom