UMASS in talks with potential new home? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UMASS in talks with potential new home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're much better off with separate presidents. Look at SUNY. A big revenue sucking machine there at SUNY Central in Albany.

This is absolutely true.

But ... if you review Albany v. Binghamton v. Buffalo (and I don't know much about Stony Brook ... sorry) ... you find that a Lagging administration at Albany has put that Public Research University far behind the other two. And, the Albany Nanocollege (a gem for sure) is actually been more of a sucking oxygen mechanism for the State U in Albany. I think that EACH State U, with their relative strengths with their respective legislature, has to fight their own Budget battles. UConn, actually is blessed to be the absolute number 1 in its State system. Rutgers & Pennsylvania & Maryland & Massachusetts are places where a number 2 has been sought; and in both UMass-Lowell & Rowan, clear big dollars are being devoted to building a second solid Public Research campus. That hurts Amherst. I think South Jersey people are leading the way to boost Rowan over Rutgers.

All interesting.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right! The entire system at UMass with separate chancellors for each campus does not lend itself to establishing a true state flagship university. We actually have to recruit against ourselves in some cases. With the political clout of Marty Meehan, now the chancellor of UM Lowell, the Amherst campus is coming up as the bridesmaid in many instances. If you look at UMass endowment figures it looks fairly impressive until you study the breakdown between Amherst, Lowell, and the Med. Ctr. in Worcester.
UConn has done amazing things both athletically and academically in a relative short period of time. That is a tribute not only to the leadership at UConn but the foresight of the state government as well. It would do UMass well to attempt to pattern it's system after UConn's, however the political fallout from such a overhaul would be a crapstorm of epic proportions. It would never happen.

Meehan is going to be a big thorn in UMass-Amherst's side. Lowell is closer to Boston than Amherst (many Boston natives think Mass ends at I-495), has a dynamic leader, and is even jumping up to FCS in Football and D1 in other sports. Plus, they have a decent hockey team now. None of that is going to make Amherst's job easier.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely true.

But ... if you review Albany v. Binghamton v. Buffalo (and I don't know much about Stony Brook ... sorry) ... you find that a Lagging administration at Albany has put that Public Research University far behind the other two. And, the Albany Nanocollege (a gem for sure) is actually been more of a sucking oxygen mechanism for the State U in Albany. I think that EACH State U, with their relative strengths with their respective legislature, has to fight their own Budget battles. UConn, actually is blessed to be the absolute number 1 in its State system. Rutgers & Pennsylvania & Maryland & Massachusetts are places where a number 2 has been sought; and in both UMass-Lowell & Rowan, clear big dollars are being devoted to building a second solid Public Research campus. That hurts Amherst. I think South Jersey people are leading the way to boost Rowan over Rutgers.

All interesting.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the Rowan versus Rutgers angle. Then again, I have only lived in Jersey for 4 years. The gripe I have heard is that Rutgers has become an 'elite' university, which has made it hard for and 'everyday' people to get into it. I can somewhat see that, though TCNJ has an excellent liberal arts reputation (US News #5 Regional University, Northeast) while Ramapo (#33), Montclair St (#54), and William Paterson (#101) are decent. Rowan, by the way is #18, while comparable schools in CT are CCSU (#116), ECSU (#108) while SSCU and WCSU are not ranked. Of course, then someone compares the future of Rutgers (#69 National University) and Rowan to U Michigan (#28) and Michigan State (#73) and I throw-up a bit. Personally, I think it's NJ Senate President Sweeney trying to make a legacy for himself at the expense of taxpayers and Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the life of me, I can't figure out the Rowan versus Rutgers angle. Then again, I have only lived in Jersey for 4 years. The gripe I have heard is that Rutgers has become an 'elite' university, which has made it hard for and 'everyday' people to get into it. I can somewhat see that, though TCNJ has an excellent liberal arts reputation (US News #5 Regional University, Northeast) while Ramapo (#33), Montclair St (#54), and William Paterson (#101) are decent. Rowan, by the way is #18, while comparable schools in CT are CCSU (#116), ECSU (#108) while SSCU and WCSU are not ranked. Of course, then someone compares the future of Rutgers (#69 National University) and Rowan to U Michigan (#28) and Michigan State (#73) and I throw-up a bit. Personally, I think it's NJ Senate President Sweeney trying to make a legacy for himself at the expense of taxpayers and Rutgers.

Rowan University used to be Glassboro State College, which was just an average small state college. One of their rich alumni, named Rowan, donated a huge amount of money with the stipulation it started an engineering program. It then grew to a larger university, including recently starting its own medical school in Camden.

In the most recent restructuring of Rutgers, original plans had Rutgers-Camden becoming part of Rowan, or at least partnered with Rowan. The idea being to have a second large state university in New Jersey in the south. I'm not surel if it was Christie or Sweeney who really pushed for Rowan. This was vehemently protested by Rutgers and it was abandoned. Rutgers acquired most of UMDNJ, but Rowan acquired its school of osteopathic medicine.

Reaction Score
Sun Belt to stay where it is, UMASS is SOL.

Not exactly....The commish says they are staying at 11 this year. UMass is in the Mac until the 2016 season and really doesn't need to make a move until then.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right! The entire system at UMass with separate chancellors for each campus does not lend itself to establishing a true state flagship university. We actually have to recruit against ourselves in some cases. With the political clout of Marty Meehan, now the chancellor of UM Lowell, the Amherst campus is coming up as the bridesmaid in many instances. If you look at UMass endowment figures it looks fairly impressive until you study the breakdown between Amherst, Lowell, and the Med. Ctr. in Worcester.
UConn has done amazing things both athletically and academically in a relative short period of time. That is a tribute not only to the leadership at UConn but the foresight of the state government as well. It would do UMass well to attempt to pattern it's system after UConn's, however the political fallout from such a overhaul would be a crapstorm of epic proportions. It would never happen.

While a diehard UConn fan now, I went to Amherst High School (I like to say I graduated from Amherst) and later attended UMass for a number of years. I followed UMass basketball and attended many games at the Cage, starting the year after Julius Erving left. Back then Yankee Conference matchups of UConn vs. UMass games, where UConn guard Joey Whelton played against UMass guard Rick Pitino were important games for both schools. Times have certainly changed, but I sincerely hope that both schools improve upon their current conference position. It would be great to eventually see a good local rivalry develop between the two universities.

Reaction Score
The Sunbelt is talking about adding a 12th member for all sports. No way Umass is bringing all their sports there. Umass is facing the very real possibility of being independent for football in the not so distant future. Not a good prospect (unless you are nelson).

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I know this sounds insane but what about UConn and UMass to the B1G as 15 and 16? gets BTN subscribers in CT and MA and gives a Northeastern state university rivalry within an hour and a half of each other. That would really be a power move by the B1G since MA has already been "claimed" by the ACC.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I know this sounds insane but what about UConn and UMass to the B1G as 15 and 16? gets BTN subscribers in CT and MA and gives a Northeastern state university rivalry within an hour and a half of each other. That would really be a power move by the B1G since MA has already been "claimed" by the ACC.

You are right. The Sun Belt will rue the day the didn't take UMass when they could have :confused:

Reaction Score
Drew said:

I would think UMass has little value. The AAC isn't interested.

Reaction Score
Ignoring the TV angle and assuming that UMass has appeal to the B1G, UMass is lightyears behind UConn in terms of the athletic and academic infrastructure needed to be in the B1G and Beacon Hill is not providing the money for UMass to get to that level up anytime in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Nothing personal but you are absolutely correct as far as "insane" goes.

Reaction Score

I see UMass as being more of an SEC school.

Reaction Score

Even with a user name like mine I had to chuckle a little at this one. I think UMass is perfectly suited to take UConn's place when you guys move up. I'm not sure that move will be to the BIG or not, but I think the ACC would be negligent in not pursuing UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm in the minority, but i would welcome umass in the aac today. Would love a drivable road game to the Umass campus. Imo, UConn fans saying Umass doesn't belong, are no different than acc or bjg ten fans teliing us we add no value to their leagues.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm in the minority, but i would welcome umass in the aac today. Would love a drivable road game to the Umass campus. Imo, UConn fans saying Umass doesn't belong, are different than acc or bjg ten fans teliing us we add no value to their leagues.

I agree. There is a fair amount of hypocrisy. I don't think we can hurt UConn by playing UMass, in the same way I think BC is and was wrong to want to keep UConn down. All three schools benefit if college football, and even high school football, become more important in New England. The fans certainly benefit from drivable games, as do the players.

Reaction Score
While a diehard UConn fan now, I went to Amherst High School (I like to say I graduated from Amherst) and later attended UMass for a number of years. I followed UMass basketball and attended many games at the Cage, starting the year after Julius Erving left. Back then Yankee Conference matchups of UConn vs. UMass games, where UConn guard Joey Whelton played against UMass guard Rick Pitino were important games for both schools. Times have certainly changed, but I sincerely hope that both schools improve upon their current conference position. It would be great to eventually see a good local rivalry develop between the two universities.
I agree. There is a fair amount of hypocrisy. I don't think we can hurt UConn by playing UMass, in the same way I think BC is and was wrong to want to keep UConn down. All three schools benefit if college football, and even high school football, become more important in New England. The fans certainly benefit from drivable games, as do the players.
It's kind of ironic that if UConn were in a P5 and UMass in the AAC scheduling them is not an issue. In fact if we're in the B1G I suggest playing at Foxboro.
UMass bringing a B1G team to Boston would be great for them and bad for an unnamed in state rival.
When your in the AAC your OCS is scrutinized to a greater degree look at SMU this year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of adding UMass as well. I think that kind of local rivalry is important. If it can't be BC or Rutgers then F' em, we'll play UMass. However, the opposition to the FB program by a lot of the UMass staff was a cause for concern.

Reaction Score
It isn't hypocritical of UConn to have a problem with UMass in the league. UMass just isn't on par with UConn or anyone else in the league. They have no stadium, win very little in any major sport and the administration and state don't back them adequately. UConn is on par with P5 schools. It's AD is bigger than half of them and more successful than most of them. If UConn were in a p5 conference the AD would grow exponentially.

BC doesn't want UConn further eclipsing them. UConn doesn't want to be in a conference with a school that isn't even committed to competing at this level. Big difference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of adding UMass as well. I think that kind of local rivalry is important. If it can't be BC or Rutgers then F' em, we'll play UMass. However, the opposition to the FB program by a lot of the UMass staff was a cause for concern.

Agreed. People like to laugh at WVU's travel problems. Has anyone looked at how far away UConn is from its conference mates?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our travel problems are about the 239th worst thing about the AAC.

I'd rather not see this conference get any bigger if only because it's horrific enough - but I would have much rather have added UMass than Tulsa or Tulane.

If they're added, fine.

Reaction Score
Our travel problems are about the 239th worst thing about the AAC.

I'd rather not see this conference get any bigger if only because it's horrific enough - but I would have much rather have added UMass than Tulsa or Tulane.

If they're added, fine.

the conference basketball schedule got released today (not the dates, but who we're playing). It's not pretty folks.

Reaction Score

That Faculty Senate thing has been blown out of proportion. There was one member, Max Page an architecture professor, who is basically against the entire athletic dept. He fed lies and misinformation to Bob Hohler of the Globe who published his trash stories without any research or verification on his part. Although he did sway some votes, Max got so far out there that most of the Senate have distanced themselves from him. There was one other member who voiced concerns over the concussion issue but voted to keep the football team in FBS when the time came to vote.
On top of that, the Faculty Senate has absolutely no power. They make recommendations to the Chancellor and that is it. Their vote on football fell on deaf ears because Chancellor Subbaswammy as well as President Caret are committed to seeing the football upgrade through.

Reaction Score
That Faculty Senate thing has been blown out of proportion. There was one member, Max Page an architecture professor, who is basically against the entire athletic dept. He fed lies and misinformation to Bob Hohler of the Globe who published his trash stories without any research or verification on his part. Although he did sway some votes, Max got so far out there that most of the Senate have distanced themselves from him. There was one other member who voiced concerns over the concussion issue but voted to keep the football team in FBS when the time came to vote.
On top of that, the Faculty Senate has absolutely no power. They make recommendations to the Chancellor and that is it. Their vote on football fell on deaf ears because Chancellor Subbaswammy as well as President Caret are committed to seeing the football upgrade through.

True; but that is just the tip of the iceberg. Football has been bleeding money from UMass for decades and there is little support and almost not plan (see the half-arse attempt to join the MAC). UMass needs to decide if it wants to be playing BC, UConn, etc. every week or UNH, Maine, etc.

As for UMass overall, too many residents, especially around Boston where the money and power lie, view UMass as a back-up school for their aspirations for Harvard, BU, BC, Tufts, etc. In turn, their apathy towards UMass leads to no support on and no money from Beacon Hill. UConn has the same problem for decades; but, was able to turn the suddenly higher visibility with the basketball teams into UConn 2000 and successive projects. UMass needs its own ‘UConn 2000’ to catch-up; but, there is no plan, no will, and no budget to do so. It is feasible though. Just look what Meehan has been able to do with UMass Lowell over the last few years – new classroom building, more research, new dorms, and upgraded spots (II > IAA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom