UMASS in talks with potential new home? | The Boneyard

UMASS in talks with potential new home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought this was a done deal. Predictable if not inevitable.

Reaction Score
While not ideal by any means, it does beat the alternative of trying to go independent. The MAC forced UMass' hand and there was no way they were going to put all sports in the MAC. The sunbelt will be for football only.
Soon, phase 2 of the McGuirk plan will be unveiled. There are several rumored versions of what it will be, but I can tell you this much. It will include seating up to 27,000, enhanced seatback area, and restroom and concession improvements. The problem is that it will be a fairly disjointed stadium. Because McGuirk is grandfathered in the ADA laws, any additions must be freestanding , if you will, from the original structure. The new training facility and pressbox do not touch the original McGuirk. The current plans involve lowering the field and adding seats all the way around, closing in the open end zone, and possibly a 2nd deck on the opposite side from the pressbox.
I'm not sure what all this accomplishes in the long term. It is no secret that UMass wants in to the AAC. I think for that to happen you guys need to move up. You deserve it and for your sake I hope it happens...okay, for my sake too because I want to see UMass in the AAC.

Reaction Score
High Comedy:
http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...s-talking-membership-with-sun-belt-conference
"Instead, BC stands alone as the only real power program in the northeast (Syracuse is in Canada, right?). As much as I dislike UMass on a personal level, it would've been great for the region to have a second team. Instead, it's BC and nobody else, which fosters the feelings elsewhere that college football up here is more of an anomaly than a viable sporting option."

Reaction Score
I agree that Umass would be added to the AAC but only when Uconn leaves. Feel free to petition the Big Ten or ACC on our behalf.

Reaction Score
High Comedy:
http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...s-talking-membership-with-sun-belt-conference
"Instead, BC stands alone as the only real power program in the northeast (Syracuse is in Canada, right?). As much as I dislike UMass on a personal level, it would've been great for the region to have a second team. Instead, it's BC and nobody else, which fosters the feelings elsewhere that college football up here is more of an anomaly than a viable sporting option."

I agree. It would be great if there was a viable 2nd team. There is only 1 with a BCS game under its belt.

Reaction Score
High Comedy:

Haha what? BC being a 'power program' is laughable.

Reaction Score
High Comedy:

Once this clown calls BC a "real power program" there really is no need to read on.

Reaction Score
Once this clown calls BC a "real power program" there really is no need to read on.

The word " fan " comes from the word " fanatical ". As such, every school has in its fanbase a considerably vocal contingent that sees their football program quite differently than most of the rest of the college football world sees their football program. BC clearly is no different in this regard, as this BC fan quoted here illustrates.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I would kick 3 or 4 of the AAC teams out tomorrow and add UMass instead.

Reaction Score
The word " fan " comes from the word " fanatical ". As such, every school has in its fanbase a considerably vocal contingent that sees their football program quite differently than most of the rest of the college football world sees their football program. BC clearly is no different in this regard, as this BC fan quoted here illustrates.

Agreed...and I believe that website has actually set their sights on being over the edge and controversial. That's fine if that's what they want to do. Heck, Umass has fans on their website talking about the Big10 like it's really an option for UMass. I get that.
The quote above actually looked to be a slam on UConn more than anything else. Taking shots at a school boasting 3 National Championships this year alone just comes across as small and ill-informed.

Reaction Score
Agreed...and I believe that website has actually set their sights on being over the edge and controversial. That's fine if that's what they want to do. Heck, Umass has fans on their website talking about the Big10 like it's really an option for UMass. I get that.
The quote above actually looked to be a slam on UConn more than anything else. Taking shots at a school boasting 3 National Championships this year alone just comes across as small and ill-informed.
Yup. if we eliminated all the fans that are either small minded or ill informed on all these school team fans websites, they'd be few sites.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Honestly hope that UMass dominates the SunBelt and gets an AAC invite while UConn moves on. I'd like to generate a rivalry in the sport, and it will be better if UMass isn't...well....isn't a Sunbelt caliber program. Currently it is, so I get this move. But UConn is better off if UMass steps up. Hopefully we can get UMass on the basketball schedule again as well.

Reaction Score
Honestly hope that UMass dominates the SunBelt and gets an AAC invite while UConn moves on. I'd like to generate a rivalry in the sport, and it will be better if UMass isn't...well....isn't a Sunbelt caliber program. Currently it is, so I get this move. But UConn is better off if UMass steps up. Hopefully we can get UMass on the basketball schedule again as well.

I think a basketball series would be a great idea. As far as realignment UMass belongs in the AAC. UConn, however, does not. I will not claim to know enough about UConn to voice an opinion on which conference you guys belong in, but I can say with certainty that it is a P5 conference.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Don't want Umass for Football any time soon, but if they have football in the Sunbelt why not add them for all other sports. Good academic institution though nowhere near us. Prove they can win in the Sunbelt and win some bowl games and then invite them in full time. This is solely a basketball move though. If we can do Navy for football (if they come) we can do Umass for Basketball.

Reaction Score
Haha what? BC being a 'power program' is laughable.
Well, BC is the only program in New England in a power conference, so there's that. It's obviously trolling, but there is a degree of truth to it.

Reaction Score
Well, BC is the only program in New England in a power conference, so there's that. It's obviously trolling, but there is a degree of truth to it.
If you subscribe to the theory of riding the coattails of others, I supposed your analysis makes sense.

Reaction Score
High Comedy:
LMAOOOOO wooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. It's amazing that there are people this ignorant

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UMass wants to be in the Sun Belt about as much as we want to be in the AAC.

It has to be for football-only - they should give up on football before they put their basketball program in that pigpile of southern misery.

Reaction Score

He actually wrote Northeast, not New England.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I would kick 3 or 4 of the AAC teams out tomorrow and add UMass instead.

Way to flip flop, as you were so clearly FOR UMASS in the existing AAC, despite the fact it would further drag the conference down.

Now, kick, I don't know, Tulane, Houston, and maybe a 3rd out, and it's an entirely different question.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Rutgers and Syracuse are, for all intents and purposes, also considered northeast regardless if this numbnutz thinks they are in Canada. Just more BCu unwarranted and unsubstantiated arrogance.

Reaction Score
I have no issues with adding UMass to the AAC. It would basically be another Temple. Had UMass been given a platform like UConn got with the Big East at the very least they would be a better athletics program than Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I have no issues with adding UMass to the AAC. It would basically be another Temple. Had UMass been given a platform like UConn got with the Big East at the very least they would be a better athletics program than Rutgers.
I agree. Even if UMASS is not good now, The AAC is not P5 regardless. And a rivalry between UCONN and UMASS playing in Gillette would be great for the region and far more exciting for fans than BC hosting wake forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom