UMASS in talks with potential new home? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UMASS in talks with potential new home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I agree. Even if UMASS is not good now, The AAC is not P5 regardless. And a rivalry between UCONN and UMASS playing in Gillette would be great for the region and far more exciting for fans than BC hosting wake forest.

"Not P5 regardless" is irrelevant. The only reason a new member should be added is because they will increase TV money. Unfortunately, UMass is not going to help in that regard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Way to flip flop, as you were so clearly FOR UMASS in the existing AAC, despite the fact it would further drag the conference down.

Now, kick, I don't know, Tulane, Houston, and maybe a 3rd out, and it's an entirely different question.

What flip flop? I want UMass now and I wanted them then.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Syracuse are, for all intents and purposes, also considered northeast regardless if this numbnutz thinks they are in Canada. Just more BCu unwarranted and unsubstantiated arrogance.

Well, 'northeast' has a very flexible definition, but I think most go with the Boston to DC corridor......which for P5 would include BC, Cuse, RU, Pitt, Maryland and this little diddy called PENN STATE.

BC is definitely the best out of those for sure.

And now I'm back to wanting a Northeast conference with RU, Cuse, UCONN, Pitt, PSU, BC, Maryland, and I dunno, Temple?

Man that'd be an awesome little conference for sure.

Reaction Score
As much as this pains me to say, I agree with all the posters that say UMass brings nothing to the table right now. Granted, it does provide somewhat regional games for UConn and Temple, but as far as providing a market, UMass has not proven they can deliver adequate ticket sale support, let alone TV sets.
That being said, I still think UMass would be a good replacement for UConn. The AAC would still have a presence in this area should UMass invest in their athletic dept. All signs at UMass now are that they are willing to do that. They certainly did not spend the money for both basketball and football training facilities to go "all-in" with the MAC. Did they come to the dance a little too late? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
It brings nothing to the conference, but as a UConn fan, I'd love to have that rivalry game every year, especially if UMass' success this season wasn't an aberration. I want UConn to succeed in football, but I'm a UConn fan because of basketball 1st, and it's not close.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UMass is a regular game for memorial stadium. If you want UConn to play it's games in memorial stadium, then by all means.

Wait, they tore down memorial stadium...we'd have to travel backward in time to do that? Nevermind.

Stop living in the less than mediocre past. When losing to UMass in anything ceases to be the embarrassment we know it would be then, and only then, would scheduling them or being in the same conference with make any sense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Way to flip flop, as you were so clearly FOR UMASS in the existing AAC, despite the fact it would further drag the conference down.

Now, kick, I don't know, Tulane, Houston, and maybe a 3rd out, and it's an entirely different question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you want to kick a Bowl team out of the Conference and not admit another bowl team (Both with bright futures) in favor of a program that has won 2 game out of their last 20 and no foreseeable prospects for the future? I wonder who your idea of the 3rd team would be. Central Florida maybe?

Husky25

Reaction Score
As much as this pains me to say, I agree with all the posters that say UMass brings nothing to the table right now. Granted, it does provide somewhat regional games for UConn and Temple, but as far as providing a market, UMass has not proven they can deliver adequate ticket sale support, let alone TV sets.
That being said, I still think UMass would be a good replacement for UConn. The AAC would still have a presence in this area should UMass invest in their athletic dept. All signs at UMass now are that they are willing to do that. They certainly did not spend the money for both basketball and football training facilities to go "all-in" with the MAC. Did they come to the dance a little too late? Time will tell.
It shouldn't pain you at all. It's reality right now. If UMass meant anything significant, the powers-that-be would have had at least made arrangements for a Cable Access level camera at the 2013 A-10 semi final.

Read that last part again. An NCAA conference tournament basketball game was not televised in a participating institution's local madia market.

Reaction Score
UMass is a regular game for memorial stadium. If you want UConn to play it's games in memorial stadium, then by all means.

Wait, they tore down memorial stadium...we'd have to travel backward in time to do that? Nevermind.

Stop living in the less than mediocre past. When losing to UMass in anything ceases to be the embarrassment we know it would be then, and only then, would scheduling them or being in the same conference with make any sense.

I don't know if you were responding to me, but I'm talking about playing them in basketball, not football.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't know if you were responding to me, but I'm talking about playing them in basketball, not football.

There's 13 games before the conference basketball schedule starts. Play them then. In terms of conference realignment, UMass as a whole only drags down the AAC conference.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:

I wasn't. But, there is really no difference.

UMass was relevant only when Cal/Camby were there and before it was vacated. The UGame that resulted from it was a bust by the time the series ended.

UMass as of right now belongs in the MAC and should fund and plan accordingly. Become Boston's and MA's team and things would change.

Reaction Score
I wasn't. But, there is really no difference.

UMass was relevant only when Cal/Camby were there and before it was vacated. The UGame that resulted from it was a bust by the time the series ended.

UMass as of right now belongs in the MAC and should fund and plan accordingly. Become Boston's and MA's team and things would change.

Was "vacated" necessary? Seriously, for a fanbase that detests the past thrown in their face, did it add much to an otherwise accurate post?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Was "vacated" necessary? Seriously, for a fanbase that detests the past thrown in their face, did it add much to an otherwise accurate post?
By and large, UConn fans don't mind the past. Especially 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014. What UConn fans don't like are misinformed sports writers who seem to have an agenda and opposing fanbases.

Subject APR
Fact: UConn had a low APR and was banned from the NCAA Tournament.
Myth: The players on the current team were responsible for the ban
Fact: The APR upon which the ban was enforced included teams from 2009.

What was reported? The myth. What is used by opposing fanbases? The myth.

Subject: Fiesta Bowl Attendance
Fact: UConn made the Fiesta Bowl based on holding tie-breaker advantages vs. two other teams.
Fact: UConn sold a fraction of their ticket allotment
Fact: Tickets were sold as a part of packages over-priced for John Q. Taxpayer.
Fact: UConn had to send a large majority of tickets back to the Fiesta Bowl
Fact: It is policy for The Big 12 to buy out remaining ticket allotments
Myth: UConn fans don't travel well
Fact: UConn's in stadium fan support was equal to or greater than their allotment.

As I said, UConn fans (By and Large) own their past.

Reaction Score
By and large, UConn fans don't mind the past. Especially 1999, 2004, 2011, and 2014. What UConn fans don't like are misinformed sports writers who seem to have an agenda and opposing fanbases.

Subject APR

Subject: Fiesta Bowl Attendance
Fact: UConn made the Fiesta Bowl based on holding tie-breaker advantages vs. two other teams.
Fact: UConn sold a fraction of their ticket allotment
Fact: Tickets were sold as a part of packages over-priced for John Q. Taxpayer.
Fact: UConn had to send a large majority of tickets back to the Fiesta Bowl
Fact: It is policy for The Big 12 to buy out remaining ticket allotments
Myth: UConn fans don't travel well
Fact: UConn's in stadium fan support was equal to or greater than their allotment.

As I said, UConn fans (By and Large) own their past.

Agree with all of your stated "facts" above. UConn has not been treated fairly by sportswriters (espn) and that is unfortunate and grossly negligent on their part.
I guess my objection to "vacated" in SubbaBub's previous post is a kettle/pot thing. I found it quite disingenuous for a fan of a team that vacated a sweet 16 appearance that same year because of actions of Ricky Moore and Kirk King to throw that stone.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree with all of your stated "facts" above. UConn has not been treated fairly by sportswriters (espn) and that is unfortunate and grossly negligent on their part.
I guess my objection to "vacated" in SubbaBub's previous post is a kettle/pot thing. I found it quite disingenuous for a fan of a team that vacated a sweet 16 appearance that same year because of actions of Ricky Moore and Kirk King to throw that stone.

But Moore and King did take airline tickets. UConn no longer has a banner for '95-96. It is what it is. We, as fans, own it.

What hurts worse is UConn's performance in that year's tournament. You will hear a lot of moaning about UConn underachieving that year after going to the Elite Eight the two year prior and after the season they had. They should have gone further and it would have hurt more. But they didn't and it doesn't. Besides vacating a Sweet 16 appearance is nothing compared to vacating a Final Four, especially after considering that is as far as Calipari was willing to take UMass before leaving them virtually high and dry. No more Camby, no more success.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The point is that there is no need to discuss UMass other than to say I hope they figure it out. The schools have different aspirations. Nothing wrong with that, but we needn't be tied to them anymore than we are tied to Yale, Quinnipiac or CCSU.

Reaction Score

Subject APR

Actually, what's used by opposing fanbases is often that the Nate Miles/Nochimson issue led to the postseason ban, which is even wronger (word?).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Actually, what's used by opposing fanbases is often that the Nate Miles/Nochimson issue led to the postseason ban, which is even wronger (word?).
Yeah, that only led to a couple forfeited scholarships, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Vacated in UMass case was a signature event which you guys have had difficulty recovering from. In our case it was a quickly forgotten blip preceding a golden age.
The importance of any historical event is it's impact on subsequent events.
I am an old Yankee conference fan and I will never forgive Calipari for leaving you guys in a heap and coming out smelling like a rose. Pulled the same thing at Memphis and now is a media darling.

Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
Yup. if we eliminated all the fans that are either small minded or ill informed on all these school team fans websites, they'd be few sites.

Yup. if we eliminated all of the delusional fans that are either small minded or ill informed on this board itself, there'd be far fewer posts, delusional, controversial, added-value, etc. alike. Of course, more people might actually get some work done, there'd be much less resulting Boneyard revenue, and we might end up paying for the comic relief,

Reaction Score
Vacated in UMass case was a signature event which you guys have had difficulty recovering from. In our case it was a quickly forgotten blip preceding a golden age.
The importance of any historical event is it's impact on subsequent events.
I am an old Yankee conference fan and I will never forgive Calipari for leaving you guys in a heap and coming out smelling like a rose. Pulled the same thing at Memphis and now is a media darling.

No doubt that the events of 1996 had a longer lasting negative effect on UMass. The school was just beginning to show promise on the national stage and the combo of Camby/ Cal leaving pulled the rug out. Believe me, it took a long time for me to get over the way he left. But I'm not sure that back then, or even now, UMass is not just a stepping stone job. College basketball just does not have that many Calhouns or Izzos. It takes a special kind of guy to stay put and build the kind of program that these guys have built. Too many times it's just so much easier to take the money and move up. My honest take on Cal is that UMass would have lost him anyway with their inability to pay him. The real problem began with their subsequent choices for replacement. I think I cried a little when Steve Lappas was announced.

Reaction Score
No doubt that the events of 1996 had a longer lasting negative effect on UMass. The school was just beginning to show promise on the national stage and the combo of Camby/ Cal leaving pulled the rug out. Believe me, it took a long time for me to get over the way he left. But I'm not sure that back then, or even now, UMass is not just a stepping stone job. College basketball just does not have that many Calhouns or Izzos. It takes a special kind of guy to stay put and build the kind of program that these guys have built. Too many times it's just so much easier to take the money and move up. My honest take on Cal is that UMass would have lost him anyway with their inability to pay him. The real problem began with their subsequent choices for replacement. I think I cried a little when Steve Lappas was announced.

UMass’s biggest challenge is that it gets no love from Beacon Hill. UConn was able to transform the love it got from CT fans when the men and women’s hoop teams exploded onto the scene and stayed there in the late 1980’s (Men’s NIT in 1988) and mid 1990’s (women’s 1st national championship in 1995) into power in Hartford and that power created UConn 2000 and UConn 2020. Putting aside conference realignment for a moment, it is amazing that UConn has evolved from a good, small state flagship university in New England, which has been historically dominated by private universities, to a major research university on par with Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, etc. with the chance to be affiliated with the B1G academically in less than 40 years.

Reaction Score
UMass’s biggest challenge is that it gets no love from Beacon Hill. UConn was able to transform the love it got from CT fans when the men and women’s hoop teams exploded onto the scene and stayed there in the late 1980’s (Men’s NIT in 1988) and mid 1990’s (women’s 1st national championship in 1995) into power in Hartford and that power created UConn 2000 and UConn 2020. Putting aside conference realignment for a moment, it is amazing that UConn has evolved from a good, small state flagship university in New England, which has been historically dominated by private universities, to a major research university on par with Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, etc. with the chance to be affiliated with the B1G academically in less than 40 years.

You are absolutely right! The entire system at UMass with separate chancellors for each campus does not lend itself to establishing a true state flagship university. We actually have to recruit against ourselves in some cases. With the political clout of Marty Meehan, now the chancellor of UM Lowell, the Amherst campus is coming up as the bridesmaid in many instances. If you look at UMass endowment figures it looks fairly impressive until you study the breakdown between Amherst, Lowell, and the Med. Ctr. in Worcester.
UConn has done amazing things both athletically and academically in a relative short period of time. That is a tribute not only to the leadership at UConn but the foresight of the state government as well. It would do UMass well to attempt to pattern it's system after UConn's, however the political fallout from such a overhaul would be a crapstorm of epic proportions. It would never happen.

Reaction Score
You are absolutely right! The entire system at UMass with separate chancellors for each campus does not lend itself to establishing a true state flagship university. We actually have to recruit against ourselves in some cases. With the political clout of Marty Meehan, now the chancellor of UM Lowell, the Amherst campus is coming up as the bridesmaid in many instances. If you look at UMass endowment figures it looks fairly impressive until you study the breakdown between Amherst, Lowell, and the Med. Ctr. in Worcester.
UConn has done amazing things both athletically and academically in a relative short period of time. That is a tribute not only to the leadership at UConn but the foresight of the state government as well. It would do UMass well to attempt to pattern it's system after UConn's, however the political fallout from such a overhaul would be a crapstorm of epic proportions. It would never happen.

You're much better off with separate presidents. Look at SUNY. A big revenue sucking machine there at SUNY Central in Albany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom