UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Reaction Score
Brain injuries, CTE (while very real and scary) is not contagious. This argument is tired

I expected a holier then thou response like this. Ok what does playing have to do with spreading the virus. You keep then on campus in a bubble. Have mass testing so you will have positive tests results and kids are safer on campus. Jobs have to deal with this and and grocery stores should we deny people that too.

Players are well aware of the health risks every year playing football and covid if they can pull it off safely let them play. The government has no right to deny someone their profession if they are being responsible.

Reaction Score
With due respect, this is some fascinating logic. Under this theory we would still be huddled in caves.

Your logic is stunning

I suggest we use known information and data instead of specious logic built upon speculation about some future unknown long term effect without any basis for it. "I think there will be long-term sequelae, said Yale cardiologist Dr. Joseph Brennan, using the medical term for a disease’s downstream effects. "I don’t know that for real,” he cautioned." So, the experts are saying things on speculation. Yet, it's seized upon as having some merit. Further to the point, 23% of New York citizens have been infected. If anything, being in an active a protective protocol with bi-weekly testing, daily access to medical staff and better oversight is intrinsically less risky than being a knucklehead in the general population. These are arguments are faulty, and rather than being obtuse, those questioning the soundness of the long term effect argument de jure, are incisive.
You realize, right, that when talking about the future no one ever KNOWS with metaphysical certainty. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make the best projections, predictions and assumptions you can make based on what you do know about this disease and other diseases that already exist.

Reaction Score
I expected a holier then thou response like this. Ok what does playing have to do with spreading the virus. You keep then on campus in a bubble. Have mass testing so you will have positive tests results and kids are safer on campus. Jobs have to deal with this and and grocery stores should we deny people that too.

Players are well aware of the health risks every year playing football and covid if they can pull it off safely let them play. The government has no right to deny someone their profession if they are being responsible.
Here is what you’re not considering. Every team is not playing by the rules. And if you think they are you’re being naive. Sure, you can control your team. But you’ll never be able to convince me that every team is playing by the contact tracing rules

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A few teams with open dates, UMass gonna pack the bus for a December trip west?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No games announced yet by UMASS! Could it just be a way to get in Practices sessions?

Reaction Score
When this country declines into a depression, if we aren't there already, considering Big 12 fans don't even seem to acknowledge there's a virus going on, UConn football will look responsible, in the long run. This country is not going to be the same.

For those of you going off on Benedict, his last place of employment was Auburn. A school with an athletic department that very heavily focuses on football.

Reaction Score
When this country declines into a depression, if we aren't there already, considering Big 12 fans don't even seem to acknowledge there's a virus going on, UConn football will look responsible, in the long run. This country is not going to be the same.

For those of you going off on Benedict, his last place of employment was Auburn. A school with an athletic department that very heavily focuses on football.
I believe DBs decisions are heavily influenced by BOT and major donors which may be to focus on Basketball this year.

Reaction Score
No games announced yet by UMASS! Could it just be a way to get in Practices sessions?
When UMass announced they would play football this fall, I think it was SI that put out a piece asking who they were going to play as there were very few teams that they could even possibly schedule. We’ll see what they announce.

Reaction Score
You realize, right, that when talking about the future no one ever KNOWS with metaphysical certainty. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make the best projections, predictions and assumptions you can make based on what you do know about this disease and other diseases that already exist.
True. But, we ought not confuse science fact with unproven hypothesis.

Reaction Score

>>Bell is organizing this without a set schedule, a specific opponent in place or a target date to serve as a jumping-off point in an abbreviated season.<<

Reaction Score
It's been 2 weeks since they announced they would play this fall and no opponents have been announced yet. Which other schools are still available for them?

Reaction Score
I'm still fine with the decision to not play this year.

I am as well. College football has no sizzle without the fans. I've watched bits and pieces of games each week and its just not the same.

Reaction Score
If no one else is acknowledging the insanity of an independent trying to cobble a 6 game schedule together, I'm still fine with the decision to not play this year.
Same. I'm still a little sad I won't won't get to see a game live this year. Granted, the last time I went they were playing Boise St. So what like 7 or 8 years now. But its the first year I can actually afford season tickets since the Fiesta Bowl season

Reaction Score
It's been 2 weeks since they announced they would play this fall and no opponents have been announced yet.

>>Bell is organizing this without a set schedule, a specific opponent in place or a target date to serve as a jumping-off point in an abbreviated season.<<

Boston Globe take on UMass football

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The longer we go without UMass announcing games the more I think maybe someone in the administration put their foot down or gave them scheduling/traveling parameters they can't seem to make work with the few opportunities out there.

Reaction Score
The longer we go without UMass announcing games the more I think maybe someone in the administration put their foot down or gave them scheduling/traveling parameters they can't seem to make work with the few opportunities out there.
If that was a correct assumption then the administration would not allow them to open.

Reaction Score
If that was a correct assumption then the administration would not allow them to open.

>>Athletic director Ryan Bamford said in an interview that the school’s chancellor, Kumble Subbaswamy, approved the team reversing course and returning to play so long as any expenses are offset by revenues.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ummm...this doesn't happen for UMass in non-COVID years so how is that expected to happen now?

And so now Bamford is calling Benedict everyday again.... :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom