UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Reaction Score
There is nowhere near a consensus among doctors that healthy young men who get covid and then recover are going to be free from long term consequences of this. A leading pulmonologist in the area thinks there is a good chance that young men who don't get sick when they have the virus will have a much greater risk of issues down the road.

No one knows for sure how great the risks being taken to play are, and it will be 40 years before we know for sure how much damage the LSU football team -- if it was planned that they all just be exposed to it early -- will suffer for the choice. A little more patience for the other side of the debate -- whichever side you're on -- would be much smarter than this discussion. Because not one person in the world knows for sure what the long range consequences will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is nowhere near a consensus among doctors that healthy young men who get covid and then reqover are going to be free from long term consequences of this. A leading pulmonologist in the area thinks there is a good chance that young men who don't get sick when they have the virus will have a much greater risk of issues down the road.

No one knows for sure how great the risks being taken to play are, and it will be 40 years before we know for sure how much damage the LSU football team -- if it was planned that they all just be exposed to it early -- will suffer for the choice. A little more patience for the other side of the debate -- whichever side you're on -- would be much smarter than this discussion. Because not one person in the world knows for sure what the long range consequences will be.

For god sake Biz. We have somebody speaking of themselves in the third person as an authority on this. What better science could you possibly want?

Reaction Score
They are very frustrated, Chief doesn’t say things like that recklessly without confirmed knowledge. I guess this is just my point, the time to do something about a problem is to get out in front of it before the exodus occurs. We seem to still be in the denial phase.
I don’t see how any competitive athlete whose been working since Pop Warner to have a chance to play college football isn’t beyond frustrated. Logic and experience align with Chief’s comments. The party line should be viewed with a proper dose of cynicism.

Reaction Score
The Coach of the National Championship Team LSU said his ENTIRE TEAM has had Covid. They quarantined them, test them again and they are ready and healthy to play football . Now that the whole team has antibodies Coach Orgeron said they should stay healthy for at least the entire season.
Orgeron knows a fair bit about football, but even virologists, epidemiologists, and other medical professionals with far more direct education and relevant professional experience do NOT appear to have reached science-based agreement regarding SARS-2 anti-body immunity, potential duration, etc. For example, multiple contrasting submissions in today’s New England Journal of Medicine:

C

Chief00

Orgeron knows a fair bit about football, but even virologists, epidemiologists, and other medical professionals with far more direct education and relevant professional experience do NOT appear to have reached science-based agreement regarding SARS-2 anti-body immunity, potential duration, etc. For example, multiple contrasting submissions in today’s New England Journal of Medicine:

Keeping above the weeds - whatever - these kids will be fine positive or negative. It doesn’t impact them much. Why is that so hard for aging baby boomers to understand?
D7180283-B149-41D4-A412-701485987052.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'll try one more time. You can rationally conclude that college football players are highly unlikely to die from the virus before recovering. There is a medical consensus to support that. You have no idea whether their organs will, however, be permanently weakened from having had the virus and the odds are much higher that they will pay a price long term. You can't know this because the medical community can't know it until it gets to see how people who had it fare LONG TERM.

C

Chief00

There is nowhere near a consensus among doctors that healthy young men who get covid and then reqover are going to be free from long term consequences of this. A leading pulmonologist in the area thinks there is a good chance that young men who don't get sick when they have the virus will have a much greater risk of issues down the road.

I agree, no one knows anything for sure. So we should wait 40 years to play football again?

Reaction Score
It has only been three days so way too early to tell, but I wonder if this ends in UMass “announcing” they will play vs them actually ever playing a meaningful # of games?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It has only been three days so way too early to tell, but I wonder if this ends in UMass “announcing” they will play vs them actually ever playing a meaningful # of games?

Don't confuse Chief with reasonable questions like this - he's on a roll :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Unique challenges UMass faces:

Reaction Score
But I thought UConn was trend setters for cancelling. I was told no fall football.

Nothing ever goes right for UConn football. It's amazing.
It was idiotic they were the first, it made them look even smaller time than they are. If they don't play football in some fashion this season it's most likely the end of the football program.

C

Chief00

I'll try one more time. You can rationally conclude that college football players are highly unlikely to die from the virus before recovering. There is a medical consensus to support that. You have no idea whether their organs will, however, be permanently weakened from having had the virus and the odds are much higher that they will pay a price long term. You can't know this because the medical community can't know it until it gets to see how people who had it fare LONG TERM.
But they are not likely catching the virus from football. More likely from other aimless stuff. There’s probably an opportunity cost against catching the virus when playing football, because they are not spending the time with riskier behavior.

Reaction Score
Sorry, that flies in the face of observation. Lineman line up against the same person, face to face, for ten seconds at a time, scores of times a game or practice. If you're in the pitts, it seems self evident that that is risky behavior. That's why some states said play 7 of 7 spread out over the field, and we're fine if you eliminate lineman.

Again, everyone is assuming, but that's hardly an irrational assumption. not saying it's right. Only time will tell that.

Reaction Score
I agree, no one knows anything for sure. So we should wait 40 years to play football again?
No one will ever confuse biz with a free spirit. Carpe Diem.

Reaction Score
That was rhetorical, correct?

Actually, it wasn't......for whatever reason I continue to struggle with the fact that someone could, in fact, be that obtuse.

I feel like this board is representative of the world we currently live in......overly simplify complex problems and repeat them ad nuaseum into a megaphone. Repeat and then start insults.

Dealing with this virus is a very complex issue and its impact is significantly different from individual to individual.

......and before some knucklehead calls me a pantywaist, I am not overly concerned about this virus for myself or immediate family and I can see both sides of the argument on playing football. But solutions are NOT simple.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with you here.

It’s so amazing to me how quickly people (fans) are ready to say, “These kids will be fine.” Mind you it’s not their kid and it’s all for Their entertainment on Saturdays. It’s eye opening how these players‘ lives are valued. I could live without college football for a year if it means doctors and science can get more clarity on this virus.
Way too many unknowns in these early stages

Reaction Score
UConnDogs in his signature role as Andy Durfresne, "How can you be that obtuse?"

Chief as "The warden" while looking up the meaning of obtuse, "What did you call me? Give him 30 days isolation without my insights on UConn athletics and medical science."

"Thank you. I'll take the 30 days."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For god sake Biz. We have somebody speaking of themselves in the third person as an authority on this. What better science could you possibly want?

With due respect, this is some fascinating logic. Under this theory we would still be huddled in caves.
Your logic is stunning
Totally agree with you here.

It’s so amazing to me how quickly people (fans) are ready to say, “These kids will be fine.” Mind you it’s not their kid and it’s all for Their entertainment on Saturdays. It’s eye opening how these players‘ lives are valued. I could live without college football for a year if it means doctors and science can get more clarity on this virus.
Way too many unknowns in these early stages
I suggest we use known information and data instead of specious logic built upon speculation about some future unknown long term effect without any basis for it. "I think there will be long-term sequelae, said Yale cardiologist Dr. Joseph Brennan, using the medical term for a disease’s downstream effects. "I don’t know that for real,” he cautioned." So, the experts are saying things on speculation. Yet, it's seized upon as having some merit. Further to the point, 23% of New York citizens have been infected. If anything, being in an active a protective protocol with bi-weekly testing, daily access to medical staff and better oversight is intrinsically less risky than being a knucklehead in the general population. These are arguments are faulty, and rather than being obtuse, those questioning the soundness of the long term effect argument de jure, are incisive.

Reaction Score
I suggest we use known information and data instead of specious logic built upon speculation about some future unknown long term effect without any basis for it. "I think there will be long-term sequelae, said Yale cardiologist Dr. Joseph Brennan, using the medical term for a disease’s downstream effects. "I don’t know that for real,” he cautioned." So, the experts are saying things on speculation. Yet, it's seized upon as having some merit.

I understand the point you are trying to make (and don't disagree in theory) but in all fairness, the good doctor from Yale made that comment back @ the beginning of April. The virus was quite fresh @ the time. Tough to prove long term effects in a few months. There are ongoing studies from “Covid Clinics” across the country (including the Winchester Chest Clinic @ Yale New Haven) compiling data and comparing/categorizing long term effects (if less than 9-10 months can be considered long term). They are also comparing known long term health effects from previous SARS viruses to SARS-CoV-2 and finding some correlations. It’s just too early to flick away any concerns with so much still unknown (IMO).

Reaction Score

How about the organs being effected from playing football such as the brain, no one cares about that, more brain injuries playing football in the spring btw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom