UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Reaction Score
>>Athletic director Ryan Bamford said in an interview that the school’s chancellor, Kumble Subbaswamy, approved the team reversing course and returning to play so long as any expenses are offset by revenues.<<
Yeah lose some more money and lay off employees. I am for them playing though just saying kumble is full of S.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
>>Athletic director Ryan Bamford said in an interview that the school’s chancellor, Kumble Subbaswamy, approved the team reversing course and returning to play so long as any expenses are offset by revenues.<<
And that is why they have no games scheduled - they are looking for a payday during Covid 19.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Welp - MACtion didn't make room for UMass.

Reaction Score
UCONN continues to just look worse in this deal. All of those fans siding with all the schools not playing, early on, now have nothing to hold on to. All the self righteousness is gone.

Reaction Score
UCONN continues to just look worse in this deal. All of those fans siding with all the schools not playing, early on, now have nothing to hold on to. All the self righteousness is gone.
So who exactly does UCONN play? UMASS best of 7? There's literally no one that will be willing to play UCONN outside of UMASS. UMASS has yet to find someone to put on the schedule. And I doubt they will. UCONN would be in the same boat had they kept the season.

Reaction Score
So who exactly does UCONN play? UMASS best of 7? There's literally no one that will be willing to play UCONN outside of UMASS. UMASS has yet to find someone to put on the schedule. And I doubt they will. UCONN would be in the same boat had they kept the season.
Early in the season, there may have been some opportunities to schedule some games as a replacement team, but there does not appear to be an FBS team that is a bus ride away that needs to schedule any games. And, we know P5 and MAC games are out. UMass can’t pay the guarantee to have teams come play them and its doubtful any team will be willing to cover the costs for UMass to travel to them. I think they will face reality soon.

Reaction Score
AppState unable to play @ Georgia Southern that week due to their recurrent Covid issues (Game moved to December 12th).

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
AppState unable to play @ Georgia Southern that week due to their recurrent Covid issues (Game moved to December 12th).

Could.... if Georgia Southern pays up! What’s the going rate here for bottomfeeders in a season where the number of games played has frankly become completely irrelevant because the SEC is getting all four playoff spots no matter what, $25k plus one night of hotel?

Reaction Score
UMass has made the ESPN Bottom 10 for having no schedule so far. Meanwhile, UConn is not on that list or mentioned anywhere in the most recent Bottom 10 article.

Why do I waste my time on this?

Reaction Score
Good for UMass for trying. Even if they end up with zero games, the optics are that they acknowledged the landscape changed with all FBS jumping back on board and tried to get some games for their players. Contrast that with Randy not changing no matter what. Even though in the end UMass and UConn both end up in the same place, one gave it a go and the other took an early knee.

Reaction Score
Good for UMass for trying. Even if they end up with zero games, the optics are that they acknowledged the landscape changed with all FBS jumping back on board and tried to get some games for their players. Contrast that with Randy not changing no matter what. Even though in the end UMass and UConn both end up in the same place, one gave it a go and the other took an early knee.
UConn can handle the "kneeing". Scheduling would have proved to be chaos. We're a blue blood in 2 of the 3 most popular college sports. UMass is the one who needs to look like they are trying. Because they don't have much going for them.

Man, do we have some soft fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could.... if Georgia Southern pays up! What’s the going rate here for bottomfeeders in a season where the number of games played has frankly become completely irrelevant because the SEC is getting all four playoff spots no matter what, $25k plus one night of hotel?
They also get a free buffet dinner which is worth something.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I admit it I will watch...or at least pay attention to the score and stats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will say this, and there is no bigger Edsall apologista on this Board, this redshirt year for the entire program removes any cover he gets for kids needing another year to develop strength, learn the system, get faster etc. Better be at least 6-6 next year.

Reaction Score
D
I will say this, and there is no bigger Edsall apologista on this Board, this redshirt year for the entire program removes any cover he gets for kids needing another year to develop strength, learn the system, get faster etc. Better be at least 6-6 next year.
Don't expect 6-6 until there is a new coach in place.

Reaction Score
UConn can handle the "kneeing". Scheduling would have proved to be chaos. We're a blue blood in 2 of the 3 most popular college sports. UMass is the one who needs to look like they are trying. Because they don't have much going for them.

Three most popular college sports, lolz.

TJT

Reaction Score
UMass is getting paid just $60K for the game at Georgia Southern. There will be no return game in Amherst. The UMass AD confirmed that the game will result in a financial loss as the payout will only cover half the travel costs.

Reaction Score
If UConn was working the phones for the chance to play a one-off road game againt Al's Welding College when their rivalry game with the Buttcrack (W.V.) School of HVAC and Plumbing is cancelled the same people complaining that "we didn't try" would be talking about how humiliating it is for a nationally known university to be pimping their players in meaningless, money losing contests.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
UMass is getting paid just $60K for the game at Georgia Southern. There will be no return game in Amherst. The UMass AD confirmed that the game will result in a financial loss as the payout will only cover half the travel costs.
Just wow...so in some ways my 25k figure really wasn’t far off.

C

Chief00

It was a very bad decision and the lack of recognizing and correcting the mistake made it worse.
Our Athletic Dept is losing tens of millions of dollars this year and playing no football. You are are worried about losing $60k on a road game actually playing football.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom