UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Reaction Score
It was a very bad decision and the lack of recognizing and correcting the mistake made it worse.
Our Athletic Dept is losing tens of millions of dollars this year and playing no football. You are are worried about losing $60k on a road game actually playing football.
It's about priorities. Yes, the University is projected to lose 170M due to Covid. The athletic department will be cut by 20% or 8 Million. So 57 people have been furloughed, BB and football head coaches took a 10% pay cut along with the AD and every one else took a 2% pay cut with 10 days off, no pay.

That said the donors have stepped up and 200k* or less to play 4 games will mostly be accounted for. *Which is a wild guess, as two games will be almost no cost if it's Liberty and Army is just about a done deal. The athletic department did an additional Covid fund raiser and football specific donations where 130,485 or most of the cost.

We are at rock bottom and last year started with 56 scholarship players, with sever personal shortages on defense and both lines where 4 walk ons where starters. UMass is extremely young as well as the coaching staff. They all need game time experience and it is the appropriate decision to play and give those that needed experience.

Optically it is a positive to others as in the past (hopefully) said UMass was never serious about football. We have spent over 50M on football facilities on campus (dig) with the IPF, Performance Center, Press and Skybox, video boards and other improvements.

Reaction Score
It was a very bad decision and the lack of recognizing and correcting the mistake made it worse.
Our Athletic Dept is losing tens of millions of dollars this year and playing no football. You are are worried about losing $60k on a road game actually playing football.
I am not the one worried, try again.

Reaction Score
Good luck, but Sept 04th is a long way off. Will look forward to Oct 9th.

Your last two games look the toughest and still looking for 2 games, really. Your schedule looks softer except we are playing 2 other former Yankee Conference foes, plus you guys. Guess it's all good.
Ours is more front loaded with Pitt, BC, and Toledo
  • 09/04 - at Pitt
  • 09/11 - Boston College
  • 09/18 - Eastern Michigan
  • 09/25 - at Coastal Carolina
  • 10/02 - Toledo
  • 10/09 - UConn
  • 10/23 - at Florida State
  • 10/30 - at Liberty
  • 11/06 - Rhode Island
  • 11/13 - Maine
  • 11/20 - at Army
  • 11/27 - at New Mexico State

Ej1qu_yU0AUqAaP

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So in your logic we should play against whatever crappy team has an opening and lose more money while doing it? Brilliant.

C

Chief00

So in your logic we should play against whatever crappy team has an opening and lose more money while doing it? Brilliant.
We needed to play, even if not the perfect opponent and paycheck. We have made bad coaching hiring decisions and can theoretically recover from them. However, it’s going to be very difficult to recover from a decision that at its heart questions our commitment to football.

Reaction Score
We needed to play, even if not the perfect opponent and paycheck. We have made bad coaching hiring decisions and can theoretically recover from them. However, it’s going to be very difficult to recover from a decision that at its heart questions our commitment to football.
Frankly, I questioned that when they left the AAC.

Reaction Score
Naaa, they don't take football seriously. I mean, they spent over $100 mil on facilities, including a stadium in a very accessible location, even looks decent, with skyline views of Hartford from some upper deck seats, has good food, with a large parking lot for tailgates people rave about.

They most definitely take it as seriously as the UConn Quidditch team. What a shame.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Naaa, they don't take football seriously. I mean, they spent over $100 mil on facilities, including a stadium in a very accessible location, even looks decent, with skyline views of Hartford from some upper deck seats, has good food, with a large parking lot for tailgates people rave about.

They most definitely take it as seriously as the UConn Quidditch team. What a shame.
How about investing in 2019 $1M in locker room improvements for practice? No commitment.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Still not sure why you don't follow Wesleyan and other D-3 schools. That is more your speed

Reaction Score
Still not sure why you don't follow Wesleyan and other D-3 schools. That is more your speed
You clearly can't read into sarcasm directed at those who say UConn is not commited to football. When did I really ever say UConn is not committed to the football program?

Speaking of speed...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still would like to check out Bowdoin, but probably not going to happen.

What is happening with your health? You’ve made a couple of references that concerned me. I know you liked to get around to various games when possible and it sounds like you don’t expect to be doing that anymore.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Would there be any downside to a UConn-UMass game Thanksgiving weekend?

Give the kids a reward for fall practice.

Limited capacity - charge a premium - split with schools and charities.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Would there be any upside? There is only downside

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The student athletes get to play the sport they train year round for? Or do we not care about what's in their best interest?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The student athletes get to play the sport they train year round for? Or do we not care about what's in their best interest?
Ask the governor for clearance, see what he says. We can't do high school football and no other college team is playing in the state. But he'll change his mind for this.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score

Life is about doing things.......taking risks and being rewarded.

Team gets much needed game experience & reward for practicing.
Fans, if allowed to attend, could raise $$$ for athletic programs & Charites
New Englander's get a positive start to the holiday season.

Or we can continue the 8th month debating and discussing exciting trends in C19 infections heading into Winter.

I gave you 3. What is the downside?

Reaction Score
I haven't been following college football (or any sports) that closely. So based on this topic I see UMass has decided to play football this fall. How have they been doing? What is their record? Have they played any Power 5 teams? Are fans allowed to watch?

Reaction Score

Great idea. But, that requires big bruised egos to concede their error. Not going to happen, even if it makes all the sense in the world.

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
They are playing at Georgia Southern on the 17th filling in for a C19 effected team. Not sure if anything else is in the works.

Reaction Score
I haven't been following college football (or any sports) that closely. So based on this topic I see UMass has decided to play football this fall. How have they been doing? What is their record? Have they played any Power 5 teams? Are fans allowed to watch?
They have won less games than uconn recently and that should be telling

Reaction Score
They are playing at Georgia Southern on the 17th filling in for a C19 effected team. Not sure if anything else is in the works.

i am sure there AD is calling around to future opponents of Baylor

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom