UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UMass Announces Intention To Play Football in Fall 2020

Reaction Score
The NCAA has already ruled on this. Yes, athletes need to attend classes and pass them for all programs outside of North Carolina.

I thought this thread had evolved into what were the changes necessary by the NCAA to make college football better. If there are no compensation limits (as suggested) then should there be class attendance requirements.

Reaction Score
I don't think UMass or UConn football programs are in any position to pay football players. ND is another story. UConn and UMass players are fortunate they are getting a good education. They signed up for it.

I don’t want to pay players, that’s the idea of the person who first mentioned this Earlier in this thread. I think if the player can get a free four year education, he is being well compensated.

Reaction Score
I’m happy the UMass players get to play. I’ve been told the team has to quarantine for 14 days because they traveled to GA. This is UMass policy which is more stringent than state’s. They likely cannot practice during quarantine. The effort to pull this off is there.

Reaction Score
Matt Brown @MattBrownEP 4m
Just read a copy of the UMASS/Marshall game contract. UMASS will get 100K, but will be responsible for their own travel arrangements/costs.

Wonder if any stipulation on Covid testing requirements/frequency? Costing UBuff $30k a week for 4x a week.

Edit add:
Ryan Bamford @UMassADBamford 15h
I’ll save you the public records request. Liberty is not paying UMass to play the game in 2020 or 2021. Just like the last two games in Amherst when UMass did not pay Liberty. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Edit add:
Ryan Bamford @UMassADBamford 15h
I’ll save you the public records request. Liberty is not paying UMass to play the game in 2020 or 2021. Just like the last two games in Amherst when UMass did not pay Liberty. Amazing stuff.

I dont mind the Bamford snark here. The AD are probably more than a little tired to the "gotcha" coverage, fair or not.

Reaction Score
I don't think UMass or UConn football programs are in any position to pay football players. ND is another story. UConn and UMass players are fortunate they are getting a good education. They signed up for it.
Connecticut, particularly Hartford, has had top tier professional sports franchises in the past, even MLB and NFL, whereas, western Mass has not. It's not as if the market in and around Connecticut is smaller than Nebraska.

Reaction Score
top tier professional sports? Hartford had The Whalers more than 20 years ago.
We are fortunate to have UConn men's and women's basketball. They provide excellent competition and the women's team is the standard of excellence. Nebraska football draws more fans in one home game than UConn and UMass football draw in an entire year

Reaction Score
Connecticut, particularly Hartford, has had top tier professional sports franchises in the past, even MLB and NFL, whereas, western Mass has not. It's not as if the market in and around Connecticut is smaller than Nebraska.

did you get a chance to see the Hartford MLB team or their NFL team play?

Reaction Score
top tier professional sports? Hartford had The Whalers more than 20 years ago.
We are fortunate to have UConn men's and women's basketball. They provide excellent competition and the women's team is the standard of excellence. Nebraska football draws more fans in one home game than UConn and UMass football draw in an entire year.

That must be one unbelievable stadium in NE. Wasn't so long ago UCONN was drawing 40,000 per game. For a 6 game home season close to 1/4 million.

Reaction Score
UConn sold 109,296 total tickets for six Huskies home games, for an average of 18,216 per contest
That must be one unbelievable stadium in NE. Wasn't so long ago UCONN was drawing 40,000 per game. For a 6 game home season close to 1/4 million.
From 2016-2019, the total "Announced Attendance" at 29 Cornhusker home games was 2,508,661

Reaction Score
The concept of markets goes above the heads of Big Ten and Irish fans. What a surprise. UConn filled the void left by the Whalers. Take note of when we won most of our championships. :rolleyes:

In football, we started out very well, drew very well, but stupid hires by incompetent egos has put that program in a depressed state at the present. Looks like someone forgot we even had a home-and-home series with Michigan not long ago. Didn't someone say it all comes down to coaches?

Blabber on.

Reaction Score
Yes I did see the Patriots play in Hartford and sat next to John Rowland and Robert Kraft

Just wondering, because the Hartford Blues stopped playing NFL football there in 1926 and the Hartford Dark Blues stopped playing National League Baseball in 1877.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, because the Hartford Blues stopped playing NFL football there in 1926 and the Hartford Dark Blues stopped playing National League Baseball in 1877.
Hartford Colonials of the UFL

Reaction Score
The Four Horsemen played for the Hartford Blues. Somehow, Hartford was able to lure and pay them. Golly gee willigers.

Even if it was 1 or 2 years, the NFL still bothered to expand into Hartford. How about South Bend?

Reaction Score
The Four Horsemen played for the Hartford Blues. Somehow, Hartford was able to lure and pay them. Golly gee willigers.

Even if it was 1 or 2 years, the NFL still bothered to expand into Hartford. How about South Bend?

a one game reunion tour for the four horsemen. As for expansion into South Bend, no one would actually expand into South Bend.

Reaction Score
a one game reunion tour for the four horsemen. As for expansion into South Bend, no one would actually expand into South Bend.
The QB signed for the 1925 and 1926 season. Before the Blues even were a full fledged NFL team.

Reaction Score

I read somewhere that their stadium on gameday would be the 2nd largest city in the state. Although they haven’t been really top notch in a few years, they still draw huge crowds every Saturday.

Reaction Score
How many UConn players would trade places with UMass playes this season? Likely most.
Well, there are already 11 players in the transfer portal this year from UMass, so even the UMass players are not happy about what is going on at UMass.

All players want to play, that's obvious. I'd be concerned if they didn't want to play this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom